FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your action
Check/Call 27 56.25%
Bet/Fold 18 37.50%
I don't know/show results 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: The Wallet Test

Lets be honest people. We all know that a black person is more likely to steal a wallet. You can argue that it's because they are poor or whatever, but the facts are the facts; they are more likely to steal.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Q: Who decided if someone was "white" or "black"? Those labels can be rather subjective.
A: True. To make it less subjective - the movies were evaluated by three different adults. They were the webmaster, the webmaster's wife and the webmaster's father. Each of them was asked (to the best of their ability) to identify the race, sex and approximate age of the "wallet pickers". If two out of three agreed on a person's race - then that became the persons "official" race.

Q: Why do some of the wallet drops have the letter "B" after them? Such as "#9B", "#17B", "#76B" and "#78B"?
A: The 9th, 17th, 76th and 78th wallets had to be done over because the person who picked up the wallet was not filmed. For example:
#9 - When I dropped the wallet on September 8th 2006 - I had the camera pointing in the wrong direction. As a result I did not see who found wallet #9. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #9B to replace it.
#17 - On September 11th 2006 the camera was pointed in the right direction, but I dropped the wallet in the wrong place. I did not see who found wallet #17. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #17B to replace it.
#76 - On September 25th 2006 I turned the camera off after I saw a woman (from very far away) pick up the wallet. But when I looked at the film, after bringing it home, it clearly showed that the woman had NOT picked up the wallet. I did not see who found wallet #76. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #76B to replace it.
#78 - Also on September 25th 2006 I dropped wallet #78 and walked away. When I came back I noticed the wallet was no longer where I had left it - so I assumed that some one had found and taken it. When I looked at the film later - it showed that a woman had found it, picked it up - but instead of walking away with it, she merely moved it to another location within camera range. So I never did see who really took wallet #78. So on September 28th 2006 I dropped #78B to replace it.
NOTE: When you consider that I did 100 wallet drops it's amazing that I only had 4 screw ups.

This guy seems really on top of his game, lol. Also, the wallets only contained $2, ID, and a fake gift certificate. I think if it was full of cash and credit cards, it would make return more likely.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 PM

I HAD MY WALLET TAKEN ONCE. I LOOK TO THIS STUDY FOR CLUEZ
Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM

I figured the large chance of getting back a wallet with a few bucks was not worth the smaller chance of getting [censored] over and more importantly the metagame embarassment of handing myself in. Looking back now I think I was being an ultimate life nit.

Edit: I read up online about the lost property protocols for my area when this happened and they are obligated to list everything in a wallet, at the very least when it is returned to you and you sign saying it is your property. So it was a given they would have seen everything in there at some point.
I also thought I might get away with it, only to be stopped two steps out the door when I was in actual possession of the illegal items.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Young black males steal. Fact.

I want a "Get out of 7 day ban" for free card for being senselessly banned in OOT for pointing out a basic factual truth.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I want a "Get out of 7 day ban" for free card for being senselessly banned in OOT for pointing out a basic factual truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to type in the word "some"

T
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what the stats would be if they disaggregate income levels out.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what the stats would be if they disaggregate income levels out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably something like:

0% Rich Young Black Males (Non-Pimp/Drug Dealing)
90% Poor Young Black Males
10% Rich Young Black Males (Pimp/Drug Dealer)
Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 PM

how is this "stealing"? you lose it in a public place, it's fair game. if you get it back, you're lucky. if not, it's what you deserve for losing it in the first place.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how is this "stealing"? you lose it in a public place, it's fair game. if you get it back, you're lucky. if not, it's what you deserve for losing it in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

we should apply that theory to losing your kids in the mall too