Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Tonite Ron Paul\'s Inflection Point?

If Paul does well, he will rise to about 2% in the polls. If Paul does poorly, he will slip to about 2% in the polls.

The reason Paul has no shot is that his positions on issues are very unpopular. He could be on every news program for the next six months and he wouldn't hit 10%.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 PM

The people complaining about Dr. Paul's performance on TOF are apparently getting spoiled. O'Reilly is a notoriously difficult interviewer, because he is rude, asks "have you stopped beating your wife" questions, throws rhetorical bitchslaps and then changes the subject before the interviewee can reply, etc. Dr. Paul did fine on the interview. He didn't rock it or nail it to the wall, but he didn't lose his decorum, which is the only way you can compete with O'Reilly at his own game, and when you win like that, you lose.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If Paul does well, he will rise to about 2% in the polls. If Paul does poorly, he will slip to about 2% in the polls.

The reason Paul has no shot is that his positions on issues are very unpopular. He could be on every news program for the next six months and he wouldn't hit 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true but a big reason why his positions are unpopular is because the media portrays his positions as unpopular and absurd. If news organizations were to discuss his policies objectively and conclude that his positions are very in line with past American thought and promote American ideals and principles, then they'd be much more readily accepted. I believe Americans for the most part are good people and are against war for the sake of the interests of a few and based on manipulation. Just very often they are misinformed that this is actually occurring and even when they are informed, they've been conditioned since childhood to have a certain world view that accepts the word of authority, doesn't challenge American actions, and really believes we are fighting for "our freedom".
Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul absolutely failed this interview. I think I have actually lost some respect for him after how abominably bad he did.

He tried to talk over Bill. HUGE mistake. Bill is the biggest loudmouth on TV, it's his show, and Ron Paul is not NEARLY intimidating enough to even attempt such a feat. He acted surprised when Bill didn't let him finish his statements (which makes me actually question the congressman's intelligence), and really got frazzled. Over all, I'd say he came off as a whiny little bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I basically agree completely. I don't know if I've really "lost respect" for him, because I never considered him a good politician. He's great when he has more time, but he really can't handle the Hannity/O'reilly type interviews.

Some of it is just that there's no way to answer an inherently sensational question well, but I feel like a healthy hand full of people on this board could have done a better job than Paul did last night.

Why not say something like "And as commander-in-chief, I would work within the Constitution to protect my country at all costs. And if Iran did pose what I considered a real and actual threat, I would blast them into the 16th century, and it would be the last threat an Arab nation ever made to the USA. RAR RAR RAR."

It's almost like he expects his audience to be able to figure out his underlying ideology. He needs to accept that they need more of a kick in the pants to get it (and it's not all that hard to give them that without compromising his positions).
Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I basically agree completely. I don't know if I've really "lost respect" for him, because I never considered him a good politician. He's great when he has more time, but he really can't handle the Hannity/O'reilly type interviews.

Some of it is just that there's no way to answer an inherently sensational question well, but I feel like a healthy hand full of people on this board could have done a better job than Paul did last night.

Why not say something like "And as commander-in-chief, I would work within the Constitution to protect my country at all costs. And if Iran did pose what I considered a real and actual threat, I would blast them into the 16th century, and it would be the last threat an Arab nation ever made to the USA. RAR RAR RAR."

It's almost like he expects his audience to be able to figure out his underlying ideology. He needs to accept that they need more of a kick in the pants to get it (and it's not all that hard to give them that without compromising his positions).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good post.

RP's ideology combined with someone like Guiliani's pinache would make a more formidable candidate. It's too bad style trumps substance but in today's environment where so much of the electorate bases its opinions on so little detailed analysis, it is the reality.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people complaining about Dr. Paul's performance on TOF are apparently getting spoiled. O'Reilly is a notoriously difficult interviewer, because he is rude, asks "have you stopped beating your wife" questions, throws rhetorical bitchslaps and then changes the subject before the interviewee can reply, etc. Dr. Paul did fine on the interview. He didn't rock it or nail it to the wall, but he didn't lose his decorum, which is the only way you can compete with O'Reilly at his own game, and when you win like that, you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this just kind of make interviewing on BO'R -EV?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly. I'm not sure I would have advised it. You have to ballance the exposure with the treatment you're going to get, and the question of, "Exposure to whom?" People who like Bill O'Reilly. Meh.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly. I'm not sure I would have advised it. You have to ballance the exposure with the treatment you're going to get, and the question of, "Exposure to whom?" People who like Bill O'Reilly. Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched it on DVR and thought he did okay. Although he sort of botched the Iran question a bit towards the end by talking about other countries instead of saying: "Bill, the only answer to a possible WMD threat is not preemptive attack. Iraq has already taught us that a country's nuclear program can be neutralized using a combination of inspection and sanctions. Continued reliance on preemptive war only makes it more likely that a WMD will someday be used against us." Also add a comment that it is not necessary to attack Iran to protect Israel -- we already give Israel $30B a year for their defense and they have over 200 nukes of their own. I think this last point would resonate well with the electorate as it doesn't say we'll treat Iran softly, just not protect nations we've already armed to protect themselves. One last point, he did get Bill O. to concede that our activities in the past and presence in the region were "debatable" in their impact on current state of affairs -- I thought this was a big victory to see a flag-waving hawk at least acknowledge that American interventionism may come with a hidden price. Really surprised to see Bill O. concede that point and think his viewers may have taken note.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 PM

For anyone reading this right now:

Brit Hume (Fox News) is about to talk about Ron Paul in an upcoming segment. He introduced the segment as "the candidate who doesn't fit the mold" or something like that. Sounded almost favorable; we'll see what he says.

EDIT: Coincidence that Fox News seems to suddenly be dwelling on Ron Paul and his foreign policy during and immediately preceding the 911 anniversary? Hmmmmmm.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 PM

It was a typical pseudo-objective subtle hit piece. If you have it on DVR, watch it again and see where they cut their clips (with Giuliani and Hunter getting in the last words, for example), and which 0.000001% of the information they have time for they chose to present (like how he took 3rd in the straw poll in his home state of Texas, without mentioning that the vote was restricted to GOP hacks who've been after his head since he got in office, etc.).