Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: ESPN says Mets announcers are the best

[ QUOTE ]
Eurotrash,

Are you the Phils fan that spit at me a few weeks ago after the Phils swept the Mets?

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't me, mang. I am a Philadelphia fan, but not the uncouth and/or cantankerous type. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And the fact that people are saying anyone other than Vin Skully shows how idiotic this thread is (FYI I'm a diehard Phillies/Kalas fan, too).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if you're leveling with your spelling and saying that Kalas is best/co-best is idiotic.

He's in the HoF. He's in the discussion. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, accidental typos. I was saying that even though I grew up listening to Kalas, Scully is still by far the best...that's how good he is.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

do you have a reference to cite for that statistic? or did you just pull it out of your Gary Cohen-loving, bandbox-hating ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was doing it off the top of my head, as I had remembered CBP giving up 1.25x as many HRs as average. .25/1.25 = 20%. I was wrong. Somebody else posted the parkfactors link again today and CBP is actually at 1.4x. Shea was at 0.9.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, wow, so Shea has a "parkfactor" of 0.9. I guess we've settled it. Gary Cohen is right. Shea is a pitcher's park, that's the way baseball should be. SUCH A PITCHER'S PARK.

btw it's kind of lol that you decided to do the math for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take this as a concession on this point. Thank you.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

my "riff" is not stupid. they are indeed trying to rewrite comedy record books or they wouldn't consistently make the same stupid jokes about it and all chuckle at it as if it's still funny. or if it ever were funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, every single time they talk about the phillies, they do this, and then they laugh for 10 minutes uncontrollably. GMAFB. If it's so disgustingly painful for you to heard a brief chuckle when scoreboard watching a phillies game that has 15 lead changes and 7 home runs, then boohoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I honestly didn't even understand that first part. but when you start talking about 15 lead changes and seven (7) homeruns, you're just being ridiculous. There are only a handful of games that get that wild, and they're actually exciting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I ever stray from purely literal, 100% denotative prose? My mistake.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You're wrong. The term "bandbox" is used throughout the league the same way. Yes, you are probably more likely to hear it on SNY, but that is because they are the main [censored] rivals in the same [censored] division. What do you expect them to talk about? AAA prospects for the Royals?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I haven't heard the term "bandbox" used in other broadcasts. I have. I'm just saying that they don't consistent run that routine into the ground with every backhanded compliment they give the Phillies. "Oh, Burrell is having an excellent second half... good thing he plays at CBP."

"Oh, it's a shame Reyes didn't play at CBP or he'd be MLB's first 75/75 man."

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of those are actual quotes from any SNY broadcast.

[ QUOTE ]

and their pen is inconsistent, but certainly not "garbage."

[/ QUOTE ]

And it all becomes clear. You thought you could hide amongst the trolls forever, Joe, but your disguise is busted. Your fatal error was no doubt a lack of consistency.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so, in sum, no it would not be "irresponsible" NOT to account for that. like, saying Jose Reyes would have 30 HRs if he played in CBP is ridiculous. the guy has nowhere near the power of Jimmy Rollins, yet the Mets announcers try to paint that picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is untrue. They make brief mention that there are some ballpark factors in play, but the overriding reason is that Jose Reyes has sucked [censored] for about 5 straight months. The Mets announcers praise Rollins all the time for the season he's having. Anytime his name is mentioned, they talk about how he's backed up his early-season trashtalking with a fantastic season that may or may not be wasted by the phillies' pitching.

[/ QUOTE ]

see my comment about backhanded compliments that the SNY team loves to give. they say he's having a great year and chalk it up to "the 81 games they get to play at CBP." "Jose Reyes has the clear defensive edge over Jimmy Rollins!" Sure Gary, whatever helps you sleep at night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you get so defensive about this? It is a fact that CBP is the #1 HR park in the majors. That doesn't mean that every HR there would be a pop-up anywhere else. That doesn't turn a slumping young SS who hit 19 HRs last year into a 75HR guy. All it means is that HRs are about 1.4 more likely than average. (~1.5 compared to Shea). This year Rollins has 18 HRs at home and 12 on the road. Given an average home park, maybe he'd have 24 or 25 total instead of 30. That would still be twice as many as Reyes's dismal year. But a fair bit less than he actually has.

As for defense, about halfway through this season, Reyes was on pace for an epic defensive season at shortstop; one that probably deserved the gold glove, if not for Omar Visquel's reputation. Since then, he, along with his Mets teammates have been little leaguers in the field, and you don't hear the crew praising their defense anymore. Amazing how that works.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM

meh....I like Houston's tv announcers
Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 AM

ok, that is just getting too long to re-quote and address everything you responded to. so I'll just type some final thoughts here and we can agree to disagree on whatever.

I never doubted that CBP is a great hitter's park and there is usually a breeze blowing out every day. I realize there are a lot of balls hit out there that would be deep fly balls or doubles/triples off the wall (not cans of corn) in other ballparks.

However, I feel that the SNY broadcast team find this far too amusing, and it annoys me to hear them bring it up so often. so I enjoy hating on them for that reason and other reasons I've stated in this thread.

no big deal, right? that's all.