Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Opening Up Your Eyes and Your Game (very long)

damn it AJ.

I don't need every body reraising light on me.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 PM

Mcshove is right, this will only hurt us, but the whole point of this forum is to teach and share knowledge, and if people were concerned about sharing knowledge when I first strated posting I would me a much worse player than I am today.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if people were concerned about sharing knowledge when I first strated posting I would me a much worse player than I am today.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 PM

Hey guys,

I was drunk and my posts were out of line last night.
My apologies to the forum, and in particular, AJ and Karak.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:16 PM

For everyone who thinks that a post like this will give too much away and will cost them a lot of money, it really won't. Although it is a really good post, the concepts brought up are not revolutionary. All the thinking mhnl players basically know this stuff, but don't do it because putting it into practice is a whole not tougher than knowing it. That is why poker is a such a great game.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For everyone who thinks that a post like this will give too much away and will cost them a lot of money, it really won't. Although it is a really good post, the concepts brought up are not revolutionary. All the thinking mhnl players basically know this stuff, but don't do it because putting it into practice is a whole not tougher than knowing it. That is why poker is a such a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. I knew all this stuff in the back of my mind but it didn't really click until I got owned at 5/10 and now I'm trying to work it into my game at 3/6. Great post AJ.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 PM

good post AJ.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:05 PM

the whole catch behind all this is WHY OP is not as good a player as the people he talked to. I mean, think about: he now knows all of these ideas so why can't he use them as well as they can? the answer is HAND READING. and you can't really teach that just by making a 'deep' post on a message board. and that's why there is no harm is sharing strategic info on a forum. even if i talked strategy with one person all day and all night, when i played against them i would still feel that it is possible to have an advantage because of the way I mix up my play to be unreadable and the way i can read their play.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

I was drunk and my posts were out of line last night.
My apologies to the forum, and in particular, AJ and Karak.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I dunno man</font>, a lot of the replies you made seemed totally well-thought out and rationally expressed. You only seem to be 'apologizing' now because your opinions were met with total outrage from everyone.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
putting it into practice is a whole lot tougher than knowing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. Like I said, it can be very hard to change certain things once they have been a routine for so long. On the other hand, being worried about me giving too much away is a bit ridiculous for a number of reasons. The relative number of people who are going to be reading this post is very small compared to that of the actual player pool at midstakes. An even smaller % is going to be getting something new out of what I said or adjusting their game in any way that may negatively affect your current situation, assuming you even play with any of those people on a regular basis, and you should be able to find a slew of good tables regardless. If you are worried that its going to negatively affect you when the player pool condenses at higher stakes, the fact is that those players you are worried about are already going to have the knowledge of everything that was brought up, and much more. Either way, its fairly selfish, as this forum is here to teach. From the right perspective, these things are very basic. You still need to play and put in the time and effort yourself, and build off of these basics and deal the situations they bring up.

I was a bit off on my stats on the top Party players and figured I would clarify (although another friend is still insisting that one of the following should be 27/22). They are more along the lines of: 24/13, 23/18, 20/16, 47/29 (which I did get right [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I don't think this changes anything that was said, though. As far as other games, one of the "BOW"'s is 27/19 and his biggest competitor runs close to that as well, as far as stats a friend had on UB. Thanks to Gregg for getting back to me with the Party stats, though.

TWP, for me personally a better word would probably be experience, or lack thereof, which obviously ties into hand reading. These players have been doing what they do for a much longer time, over a gigantic number of hands. I haven't even begun doing some of the things they do. Experience develops that better hand reading, makes you accustomed to the various situations that your plays put you in and teaches you how to deal with them profitably, and everything else that ties in. Of course some people may play and play and never address certain leaks or learn to deal with certain situations, but I think for me personally the lack of experience is key.

All that being said, glad people enjoyed the post. Hope it served its purpose.