Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Bulking: Clean Diet?

[ QUOTE ]
jah, obv. Thremp and everyone here knows you need to be working out hard, in hypertrophy, getting enough protein etc. The point is that eating enough and eating dirty is better than trying to eat clean and winding up not eating enough. If you can't understand that, we can't help you. Also *yes* lots of people have trouble eating enough clean. It takes a lot of money and effort to eat a ton of calories clean, it's hard to do if you're out of the house, short on time, going out with friends to crappy restaurants, etc. Thremp is just saying in those bad spots better to chow down and get what calories you can than to hold off because it's not clean. If you disagree, you're just wrong.

[/ QUOTE ] This is basically what I got out of Thremps OP.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 AM

You guys have way better reading skills than I do. Here's how I took it:

[ QUOTE ]
Basically overrated. Get your nutrients. But don't shirk a large fatty ribeye, a 6pack of beers and a large pizza. In fact if bulking I'll step out on a limb and say that the aforementioned 3 items together would be far superior to a large dry leafy green salad, a baked chicken breast, and water.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not overrated. Lol at pizza, beer, being FAR superior. Wow that's dangerous advice.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have declared jihad on skinniness, and are eating 8 times a day feeling like you're going to throw up or actually do after eating. FFS stop eating "clean".

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense. You should be able to eat clean 95% of the time with variety. It isn't that hard.

[ QUOTE ]
I will use myself as an example. When I was solely bulking, as a skinny dude, it is fairly hard to gain mass, I drank soda each day and ate fried food. Sure this would kill me in the long term, but 3 months of it makes it a heck of a lot easier to gain weight. If you eliminate juice/milk/soda etc each day I'm likely pulling ~600+ calories less, something almost anyone is going to have trouble making up in a clean diet (400 grams of black beans maybe?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Soda doesn't put you in an anabolic state and it's largely crap calories not muscle building. Much easier to drink milk if your looking for liquid calories.

[ QUOTE ]
Now don't take this as a carte blanche for just gorging yourself year round. But if you have trouble gaining weight, at some point it becomes more important to just get the calories in than it does to eat a 5th serving of steamed broccoli that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...don't gorge year round. The advice was so awful in the first few paragraphs that this didn't save it for me.

Eating crap calories to gain weight is not a superior way to put on LBM. It's a great way to add some muscle and some fat.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:57 AM

Please stop posting in this thread.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:02 AM

I'm afraid I'm done posting in this area...not a lot of open minds.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 6-8 posters who "get" what I said. You do not. I have removed you from my "Will engage in discussion" list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp, even I understood what you said, which is kinda scary, because I think that's one of the signs of the apocalypse. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2007, 01:05 PM

I always figured if I ate absolutely anything I wanted in mass quantities and went to the gym 5 times a week, I'd grow muscles and lose the gained fat. It always made sense to me.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:16 PM

wow i can't believe i just wasted 10 minutes reading this thread.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always figured if I ate absolutely anything I wanted in mass quantities and went to the gym 5 times a week, I'd grow muscles and lose the gained fat. It always made sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please re-read my first post. Honestly...experience and science tell us this way isn't the best way to do it. Which is all I've been trying to say this whole time...a much better way to add LBM exists than eat crappy then cut.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Have to say I mostly agree with jah, but agree that if you are anarexic then sure pizza is better than nothing.

Pizza beer and fried food makes the standard hardgainer "skinnyfat". More weight? Yes. More muscle? Very little. The body CANNOT use beer to make protein/muscle. More FAT? HELL YES.

Here's an alternative: Drink Protein mass gainers.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Yeah, if I'm starving to death or not getting enough calories in anyways then poor food choices would be more beneficial than not eating.

That said if you eat well your going to more likely be in an anabolic state than eating the foods Thremp mentioned. Also, no matter how much you eat, your only going to be able to build so much muscle per day/week as I've said. You can relax your diet to an extent, but 90% of your calories at least should be coming from good food sources unless you desire the future problem of being fat.