Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: The Office 11/8

"I'm out here, in the interior of the vast Pennsylvania wilderness."

I have no clue how people are saying this was anything less than an awesome episode. Ending was brilliant. It's nice to see Michael having a non-totally idiotic moment every now and then.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:16 AM

There was no subtlety in the Jim as boss story. That's my biggest problem. The Office works best when plot points are done subtly and realistically.

The writers describe how to communicate that Jim is acting like Michael to the viewer:

"Jim's acting like the boss. Hey, he's pushing a dumb idea. That's what Michael does. Think they'll get it? No? Okay, we'll have him go into Michael's office and work from there. Need more? We'll have him get incredibly pissed at Toby. That's still not enough? Let's have him call everyone into the conference room! Michael always does that! Alright, fine. We'll make it a little clearer. We'll have Phyllis "accidentally" call him Michael. Surely these numbskulls will get it at that point. And if not, we'll throw in an ending where Michael and Jim explicitly discuss it. We literally cannot make this any clearer."

This was probably my least favorite episode of The Office ever.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 AM

Aight, same old [censored] again. Everyone pretty funny, the story with Michael and Dwight was stupid. STOP DOING THIS.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved the premise. A few things could have made this funnier...

1. less michael in the woods. the fact that he was doing it was funny. watching him talk to the camera was not.
2. a different office conflict than the stupid birthday cake thing.
3. some good old michael ripping on toby about how lame/gay the camping trip was. needed to really embarrass toby like he usually does.
4. less creed. creed is incredible for one or two lines an ep, but had too big of a role in this imo.
5. a quick michael phone call to ryan.
6. let us know SOMETHING about how pam/jim's relationship is going.

again i liked the premise, just thought the writing was unusually weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are almost all horrible ideas:
The nature of the conflict has to be as stupid as possible to get the point across, esp with Michael having tried to do the same thing.
There's probably nothing that could kill the show faster than weekly updates on the state of the Jim/Pam relationship.

I wasn't crazy about this ep, I also feel like NBC's week of green is kind of stupid and is partially to blame for weighing down the ep (not that I have anything against environmentalism or shows addressing real world issues, but when it's an organized network-wide effort it becomes distracting and I can only imagine was cumbersome to work with for the people making the shows).

I felt like the scene during the credits, although lacking in subtlety, was vintage office, Michael needs to act like that more often for us to stay on his side.

Other than that, as mentioned a miss, except for the visual gags, the weapon montage, the duct taped pants, Michael in the Battlestar sweater, ... .
Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There was no subtlety in the Jim as boss story. That's my biggest problem. The Office works best when plot points are done subtly and realistically.

The writers describe how to communicate that Jim is acting like Michael to the viewer:

"Jim's acting like the boss. Hey, he's pushing a dumb idea. That's what Michael does. Think they'll get it? No? Okay, we'll have him go into Michael's office and work from there. Need more? We'll have him get incredibly pissed at Toby. That's still not enough? Let's have him call everyone into the conference room! Michael always does that! Alright, fine. We'll make it a little clearer. We'll have Phyllis "accidentally" call him Michael. Surely these numbskulls will get it at that point. And if not, we'll throw in an ending where Michael and Jim explicitly discuss it. We literally cannot make this any clearer."

This was probably my least favorite episode of The Office ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I agree with this. The part when Meredith called Jim "Michael" just felt like they were making absolutely sure that even the most clueless 1% of the audience got the joke.

The writing has been so lazy lately. Every character has one mood/style that they won't stray from. That can only work for so long. I hope the writer's strike lasts long enough that they come back with some original ideas.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:40 AM

kind of a meh episode, but michael talking to jim at the end was great.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 AM

No one has mentioned that Angela looked amazing this episode.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one has mentioned that Pam looked amazing this episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the epi, was better than last week
Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one has mentioned that Angela looked amazing this episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah def.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 AM

No one liked Michael wearing Dwight's Battlestar Galactica sweatsuit?