Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Depression and Religion

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, sorry if this topic has been talked about frequently, i am very new here and i browsed a few pages without seeing anything. So if it's been done just point me in the right direction and i'll delete.

I am an atheist, and have been from a very young age (around when i stopped believing in santa clause), but i am also battle depression and have been for the last few years. I constantly see religious people everywhere that worship some higher power outwardly appearing so happy and "fulfilled" like their life has some sort of deeper meaning. I believe religion gives people a lot of hope in a lot of hopeless situations, and that this in turn could lead to less depression amongst religious people vs. non religious people. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

ignorance is bliss. it's all just a crap shoot.

ps. take drugs
Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 PM

A lot of doctors seem to draw connections between hope and well being. Faith offers hope.

http://www.webmd.com/news/19991209/d...r-healthy-mind
Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 AM

"How can a sensitive person not be depressed if she believes in eternal conscious torment of 95+% of humankind?"

I'm not a communist. I can be happy independently of other people.

"Life always has meaning to the degree you affirm it without reservation, and suffering is no exception."

Affirming something you do not will, and trying to pretend it as being your will is delusional.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot see how a sensitive person could not be depressed if an atheist. The thought of meaningless suffering and loved ones dying is too much to make life worth living. It would be better for an atheist to find continual distraction than ponder these things. That's why there are more atheists in rich countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait so the suffering has meaning if you're a theist? Please tell me what meaning you derive from the suffering of people because of your belief in a personal God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the Faith you believe in, suffering can be a way to atone for one's sins and those of others. It also merits more joy in Heaven.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on the Faith you believe in, suffering can be a way to atone for one's sins and those of others. It also merits more joy in Heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, suffering is good because it keeps you out of hell, which is bad because you suffer there...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The religion I was raised in mimics this sentiment. What you are saying is, if you suffer on this earth, other things being equal, you have a better shot at joy in heaven.

The problem with this BS idea, is that it makes people complacent about their sorry lot in life, but worse, it gives incentive for those people who prosper in this life to be cruel to those not so prosperous.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"How can a sensitive person not be depressed if she believes in eternal conscious torment of 95+% of humankind?"

I'm not a communist. I can be happy independently of other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you're scary. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, sorry if this topic has been talked about frequently, i am very new here and i browsed a few pages without seeing anything. So if it's been done just point me in the right direction and i'll delete.

I am an atheist, and have been from a very young age (around when i stopped believing in santa clause), but i am also battle depression and have been for the last few years. I constantly see religious people everywhere that worship some higher power outwardly appearing so happy and "fulfilled" like their life has some sort of deeper meaning. I believe religion gives people a lot of hope in a lot of hopeless situations, and that this in turn could lead to less depression amongst religious people vs. non religious people. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
id rather be depressed and live in reality then walk around like a mind numb zombie self delusional christian.