Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Men vs. Women - Serious post

Men generally think that they are smarter than women and women generally think they are smarter than men. This is because people are naturally narcissistic. This a mostly male message board so it's natural that you'll see this behavior here. Generalizing people based on sex or race is useless because variance between individuals is very high. So no matter what, it doesn't matter.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
women are better @ sex than men, or at least imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK..ill bite...

You've tried both?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 PM

It is true at both ends of the scale. Lot of rocket scientists and a lot idiots when compared to women.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
women are better @ sex than men, or at least imo. Guys are better at everything else

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule about sex #1: A lot of it's in the perception.

Corollary #1: Many men are too lousy at sex and wrapped up in themselves to be able to tell the difference whether a woman is good or not.

Corollary #2: Because of that, some women can get away with lying there like a log and still be thought good sex partners, so long as they feign interest or at least don't call a halt to the proceedings.

Corollary #3: Because of that, some women think they are much better sex partners than they are.

Corollary #4: Mutual delusion can be satisfying to both parties.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Intelligence is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mom is intelligence.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:21 AM

Your mom is intelligence.

Blarg, I never got the whole anti-verbose Blarg thing, cause I just never read anything that looked super long.

This is beautiful in its concision and precision, which we must hold dear when greater inspiration is missing.

Good job.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard in the past (can't remember where) that the average intelligence of men and women tends to be about the same. However, the distribution is different in that there are more "high intelligence" men than women, as well as more "low intelligence" men than women. I don't know if it's true, but it seems fairly accurate just based on personal experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a great article on that once. The theory was that women take there intelligence from both parents but the man takes it from one parent. Thus, women have a buffering effect and less variance - e.g, for a woman to be brilliant she needs a brilliant "gene" from both parents where a man only needs it from one.

I have no idea if it is true but it was an interesting article.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was true wouldn't the female brilliance gene eventually go extinct?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Women are smarter than men until age 15 or so, and then men pass them, I think in large part due to aggressiveness and social conditioning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Women are smarter than men until age 15 or so, and then men pass them, I think in large part due to aggressiveness and social conditioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think women tend to have a kind of social intelligence that is worked on as avidly as boys work on sports, and more often. It's not even apparent to a lot of men, and isn't something you can test, so I think it's largely invisible to half the planet a good portion of the time.

But even women of quite average or even low intelligence often have a startling degree of the awareness of the dynamics of social situations in ways that men are often oblivious to. They don't necessarily have good judgment, but with the attention they pay to social cues, they certainly get enough practice to refine their perceptivity.

When it comes to social intelligence, there are men who have a good amount, but they are often outclassed in that regard by comparatively unexceptional women. But it's pretty darn hard to appreciate and hold in any esteem what you often aren't capable of noticing in the first place.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:05 AM

despite the title of the OP, it isn't a very serious post.

all you are going to find out here are the opinions of a bunch of OOTers. why not seek out systematic empirical results instead?

edit: looking back through the thread, i saw the graph of SAT scores ... some good facts. an alternative interpretation of the difference in scores is that the labor market rewards males more highly for education. that would give males more incentive to get high SAT scores, which could explain the gap even if the sexes were of equal intelligence.