Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: less known dog breeds

[ QUOTE ]
I have a blue heeler, got him at a shelter, hes approaching two years old. Hes crazy, has a ton of personality, and wild, as in has way too much energy (for me ie Im lazy), and hes loyal almost to a fault. One day I accidentally didnt shut the front door all the way and it must have blown open. Five or so hours later I come home to discover this and realize he didnt even go outside, just napped it on the couch waiting for me to return. I almost cried. Really loving and intelligent, easy to train. Ive heard they can be tempermental about little kids in their old age, as the one downside. Hes also cute as hell, jailbird pic enclosed.

[/ QUOTE ]

cute dog, he's smiling in the first pic
Old 02-13-2007, 08:38 PM

these dogs are great.
entlebucher
Old 02-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Is there a particular reason you seem to be looking at big bully type dogs? Do you have any experience working with and handling big, high drive, shy dogs? Do you really understand what you're getting when you get a Corso, Tosa, Fila, Presa, Boerboel, etc?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Bouvier des flandres - Belgium herding dogs I'm too lazy to type more about them now but if you want to know more let me know.

And here's my baby:
Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 AM

I don't have one, but check out the Alaskan Klee Kai, it's a miniature Eskimo husky.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] small doggies. I'm going to try and get one when I move.

edit: I didn't initially see your disclaimer about mid to large dogs, so the Alaskan Klee Kai is probably not for you. But if anyone else likes small dogs, there ya go...
Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That Swiss Mountain Dog looks pretty cool.
I see PDPG already suggested Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I see a lot of these, but I think their owners are fond of the particular dog park I go to. I had never seen one before moving to Austin.
Similar to Weims are Vizslas.

I had one growing up, great dog, very intelligent, loving and friendly. I usually see one of these at the dog park, and from talking to owners it sounds like there were recently introduced to Austin, and were rare here in the past. My friend also just got a Silver Weim, which I have only seen once before, she's a beautiful puppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

My next dog will be a Vizsla. No doubt.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 AM

When I get a dog, I'm getting a pharaoh hound. I think they're really cool looking and they are supposedly intelligent with a good temperament.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For some reason, this dog seems to look something like Thom Yorke:

Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM

I have a Portuguese Water Dog, she's okay. My wife got her while I was away at work. They look better without the poodle cut. They don't shed so the hair will grow as long as you let it. Not the smartest of breeds but they do train very well. They are very mouthy, she always has to have something in her mouth. She carries something around all day and searches relentlessly for something to pick up. She never chews on anything though, just holds it in her mouth. The were bred to carry messages between boats and swim tow lines. After the snow thaws we find plenty of random stuff outside (shoe, sock, hat, glove, basically anything she can grab).

She has retreived every single thing I have ever thrown for her every time with zero training, so thats been cool.