Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Good Riddance.....He Backstabbed Conservatives

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.... Spending 12 months in jail is sometimes easier than spending $40K in legal bills. ....

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of truth IMO to the fact that copping to a lesser charge is often influenced by the expense of mounting a defense. I have my doubts in the Craig case but maybe. Hadn't considered that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some lawyer looking for some publicity probably would have done the case pro bono anyway; or similarly, some special interest group, or his political allies, would probably have been more than happy to help him raise money for his legal fees or provide counsel if he was actually innocent and decided to fight the charges.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Republican Senator pleads guilty to lewd conduct in a men\'s room

[ QUOTE ]
1) Employing cops to arrest people for this kind of [censored] is ridiculous.

2) I agree that Craig looks "guilty as hell," but before using the "H"-word, has he really been a major busybody moralist in the past?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine your kid taking a crap and hearing the guy moaning in the stall next to him....Your kid gets done, looks under and sees two sets of legs.....

Son........that was just two CIA agents exchanging info and one was not too happy with his next assignment.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I shouldn't be able to use the public restroom without some creep peering at me and propositioning me for sex?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is your responsibility to deal with sex propositions (presumably a simple "don't [censored] touch me" would probably work against most sex-crazed senators). It is not my responsibility to pay for squads of officers whose job it is to keep people from propositioning you. How old are you, anyway?

The case of pedophilia is of course different -- we're not talking about consenting adults anymore. The act is by definition predatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use that reasoning anyone anywhere can be approached, rubbed on, peered at defecating and asked for sex in a confrontational manner simply trying to use a public facility. I think the phrase "hostile environment" is very applicable here. You, an individual, do not have a right to go around creating hostile environmnets for people. YOU are infringing on my rights then. If you grant me the right to beat your ass back, then, yeah, you can use me for titillation and proposition me while Im taking a [censored], until then, you should be subject to fines and/or jail. Criminal trespass charges should apply if you return to the area as well. And, fuckjob should register as a sex offender. Then if schoolkids come to his office building in DC, he would have to stay 100 yards away. Would be hilarious.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I shouldn't be able to use the public restroom without some creep peering at me and propositioning me for sex?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is your responsibility to deal with sex propositions (presumably a simple "don't [censored] touch me" would probably work against most sex-crazed senators). It is not my responsibility to pay for squads of officers whose job it is to keep people from propositioning you. How old are you, anyway?

The case of pedophilia is of course different -- we're not talking about consenting adults anymore. The act is by definition predatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use that reasoning anyone anywhere can be approached, rubbed on, peered at defecating and asked for sex in a confrontational manner simply trying to use a public facility. I think the phrase "hostile environment" is very applicable here. You, an individual, do not have a right to go around creating hostile environmnets for people. YOU are infringing on my rights then. If you grant me the right to beat your ass back, then, yeah, you can use me for titillation and proposition me while Im taking a [censored], until then, you should be subject to fines and/or jail. Criminal trespass charges should apply if you return to the area as well. And, fuckjob should register as a sex offender. Then if schoolkids come to his office building in DC, he would have to stay 100 yards away. Would be hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a big boy now. The government isn't your mommy, though it sounds like you want it to be. If someone is physically rubbing your body and demanding sex, SMASH HIM IN THE THROAT WITH YOU FIST. Communicating the desire for sex is a seperate issue from assault, which it is assumed that any reasonable adult will resist.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a big boy now. The government isn't your mommy, though it sounds like you want it to be. If someone is physically rubbing your body and demanding sex, SMASH HIM IN THE THROAT WITH YOU FIST. Communicating the desire for sex is a seperate issue from assault, which it is assumed that any reasonable adult will resist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where there's a place you can live where justice is meted out exactly like this. You only need to travel to, say, Kansas. Oh, and you need to go back in time about 150 years.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And, if someone runs a redlight, crashes into you, killing your wife, beat the guy to death?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where there's a place you can live where justice is meted out exactly like this. You only need to travel to, say, Kansas. Oh, and you need to go back in time about 150 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are still allowed to defend yourself against physical/sexual assault in this country. There is no need to defend yourself against nonverbal/noninvasive requests for unwanted sex -- a simple "no" will suffice.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some lawyer looking for some publicity probably would have done the case pro bono anyway; or similarly, some special interest group, or his political allies,

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh......yeah. Defense attorneys spend entire careers trying to get high profile cases so they can do it pro bono. You obviously speak with great experience on this subject. Scooter Libby's large legal bill is a scam since his lawyers did the case pro bono.....yes?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Is it really illegal for me to go up to some dude in the bathroom and ask him if he wants to [censored] me in the ass? What the hell is this country coming to?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some lawyer looking for some publicity probably would have done the case pro bono anyway; or similarly, some special interest group, or his political allies,

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh......yeah. Defense attouneys spend entire careers trying to get high profile cases so they can do it pro bono. You obviously speak with great experience on this subject. Scooter Libby's large legal bill is a scam since his lawyers did the case pro bono.....yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the claim is that Craig pled because he couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for the legal fees associated with defending himself, then yes, I of course call [censored].

Speaking of Libby:

Libby Legal Defense Trust

"The Libby Legal Defense Trust was formed to help defray the legal defense costs for Lewis "Scooter" Libby and his family against the recent legal charges brought against him."

But yeah, the poor Craig family, likely living in squalor somewhere in downtown DC, obviously couldn't get access to skilled and experienced legal counsel to fight these trumped up charges. And we all know how high-profile cases are just anathema to your typical defense attorney. Couple all this with the law enforcement's proclivity for targeting poor, defenseless, down-trodden United States Senators with their lawless chicanery -- Senator Craig just never had a chance!

In the TWO months between his arrest and his guilty plea, it never occurred to the destitute Craig family that he could go the Libby route and start a legal defense fund in order to fight unjust charges that, if brought to public light, would severely damage his career.

The Craig family, forced to choose between feeding their starving children and hiring a defense lawyer, while simultaneously remaining oblivious to the obvious mechanisms of legal defense funding available to them, decided the Senator should just plead guilty. A good lawyer (that could have conceivably saved his career and saved him from public disgrace) could cost thousands of dollars, and that's obviously a burden no impoverished US Senator could bear. Hey, it won't be summer forever, and his kids need winter coats to survive the cold, right?

Yeah, Sen. Craig is innocent, and it's the prohibitive legal fees and aggressive Idaho Statesmen reporting that motivated, NAY forced him to plead guilty...a full two months after the incident.