Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: ***World Champion Red Sox Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]

Ellsbury could probably command tons of trade value, especially from a small market team who loves young, cheap players like Minnesota or Florida. He has a pretty big upside, but probably not nearly as big as the hype he's generated over the last week. His trade value will never be higher than it is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the thing. yes he has game-changing speed and is super-exciting and a 'sparkplug' and all that. but nothing he has done prior to this year would indicate he's going to put up a 1+ OPS like he did over a small sample size this season. before he got called up most people were thinking of his CEILING as an OBP-heavy .820 or so OPS with great speed and plus defense in CF. that's really good, but if you can find a team that will buy into the hype it's totally fine to trade him for someone like santana or miggy, especially when you already have a pretty good, relatively cheap CF in crisp.

i think the backlash would be sick for an ellsbury trade UNLESS we got one of basically three or four established superstars, like johan, miggy, etc. then people would grumble but they'd get over it when they see 3/5ths of our rotation in the all star game.

if the sox got cabrera i assume he'd move to 1B. that would give us the best 3-4-5 in the known universe if manny has one more healthy season in him. (assuming he didn't also get moved).
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Anyone who bitched about a trade of a package involving Jacoby for Jonasty should have their RSN card revoked.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
like i said, some people are pretty silly

[/ QUOTE ]

Have any problems with above?

[/ QUOTE ]

other than that every opinion in it is wrong, no.

if you want further explanation see my post above.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I shouldn't even bother.
You think they should keep KS? I'm willing to bet next year his E.R.A. won't be under 4.50. He's shot.

Wait, I decided to read your post above (I hadn't before) and it seems we agree on Schill.

Also seems we agree on Lowell
Also the center field situation (mostly)
I guess we disagree on Manny. Thank God we had him the last 5 years. I don't think we win w/out him. He still has 3 Manny years left. Other than that I don't know what you misinterpreted
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think they should keep KS? I'm willing to bet next year his E.R.A. won't be under 4.50. He's shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, it's CS.

All he wants is ONE more season. That's it. Not just from the Sox, from anyone. Yeah, we'd be overpaying for him, but having someone like Schill we can roll out for 120 innings would be a big advantage.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM

We all agree that if Schill will sign a one year deal for 11-13ish then we should absolutely keep him, right?

Problem is the same as it is with Mikey, though. A starved NL team will probably give him too many years and too much money and we won't be able to compete for him.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who bitched about a trade of a package involving Jacoby for Jonasty should have their RSN card revoked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting Santana for Ellsbury and change would be awesome, and I loooooove Ellsbury.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Those that are talikng about trading for Santana - that's fine, but the price will be a hell of a lot more than just Ellsbury.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those that are talikng about trading for Santana - that's fine, but the price will be a hell of a lot more than just Ellsbury.

[/ QUOTE ]

Santana is in the last year of his contract, no?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it will. i don't have a clear idea of how much we should really give up for santana, but i think it's a lot. i would draw the line at giving up both ellsbury and buchholz. i would rather give up ellsbury than buchholz.

if i am theo i would start with a crisp / lowrie / pitching type package and see if it could be done without losing ellsbury. but i would expect the twins would want more.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Schilling story on ESPN.com

"A one-year deal is all I'm looking for," Schilling said, adding that he expected to file for free agency over the next few days