Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Lee Watkinson + FT Qualifier + Winner = $18,250,000

1 $8,250,000

2 $4,840,981

watkinson heads up vs other person. watkinson goes all in and has other person covered by 2bbs. watkinson loses. other person tells watkinson i will keep folding and let you win if you give me 5.2m and the bracelet. they do that. other person ends up getting 10m and the bracelet. watkinson gets 3m + 10m sponsorship deal
Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 PM

Why doesn't this create a massive bribing bag that materially increases the chances of collusion?

I don't know Lee and have no reason to think that he is anything but a sterling character. But a $10MM asymmetrical payout is a huge incentive for chip-dumping. Lee could say to another player "ship me your chips and I'll pay you $2.5MM if I win the event." Or, he could make a deal where other players ship him chips in return for a percentage of his action including the FTP bonus. Isn't that waaaaay pos-EV for both parties?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:03 AM

ad,

"If you don't count their Stars deals?"

Huh? The whole point of whether or not this FT thing is a good deal for the player is that it takes the place of any other poker site endorsement deal they would make. If Stars pays ME winner a deal worth > $1m 10yr annuity, then this would be a bad deal for the winner to take.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ad,

Huh? The whole point of whether or not this FT thing is a good deal for the player is that it takes the place of any other poker site endorsement deal they would make. If Stars pays ME winner a deal worth > $1m 10yr annuity, then this would be a bad deal for the winner to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that I'm not sure you can qualify through FTP [accepting their offer] and then turn around and sign a deal with Stars. It's one of those things I wouldn't want to be hauled into court on. (Not that it matters - the Stars deal is significantly worse, anyway.)

The no outside endorsements or investments clause is the one that's more important for a few, though...I don't see aba or greenplastic being too happy to have to get rid of their Cardrunners %'s.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 AM

Whatever. Lee's already a FTP pro, so he's already happy to work for them for less tham 1M/year and I I'm not sure he's got the kind of personality that would make him worth more than 1m/year under most circumstances. Is he getting the bonus only because he won the satellite or because he's wearing the FTP gear, anyway? If it's the latter, what kind of bonus would Lee have gotten if he hadn't satelited in and then won? Also, since we are basically pulling numbers and assumptions out of our ass, I'd like to guess that a victory for Scotty Ngyuen would have been worth much, much more than 1M/yr for many, many years.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ad,

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that I'm not sure you can qualify through FTP [accepting their offer] and then turn around and sign a deal with Stars. It's one of those things I wouldn't want to be hauled into court on. (Not that it matters - the Stars deal is significantly worse, anyway.)

The no outside endorsements or investments clause is the one that's more important for a few, though...I don't see aba or greenplastic being too happy to have to get rid of their Cardrunners %'s.

[/ QUOTE ]
I won 4 seats in Stars and 1 seat on FT, so I don't know how the agreement would have effected me if I won.

I am not sure what courts FT could try to enforce their agreement in, certainly not US courts.

I am not sure whether one can get as good an endorsement contract on the open market as last year before the law was passed.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 AM

Yes, this is a BIG boom for fulltilt.NET

fulltilt.NET is really going to be raking in the publicity on this one.

Lee Watkinson is going to be a fine representative for fulltilt.NET

And all of those "pros" you saw walking around with their fulltilt.NET logos and hats...makes you wonder if any of them have ever played one single hand on fulltilt.NET or pokerstars.NET or ultimatebet.NET

What disappoints me most of all is that Barry Greenstein sold out to pokerstars.NET

He said he'd never support an Internet site.

He was my hero until he did that.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:00 AM

Isn't Kalmar a Full Tilt qualifier too?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. Lee's already a FTP pro, so he's already happy to work for them for less tham 1M/year and I I'm not sure he's got the kind of personality that would make him worth more than 1m/year under most circumstances. Is he getting the bonus only because he won the satellite or because he's wearing the FTP gear, anyway? If it's the latter, what kind of bonus would Lee have gotten if he hadn't satelited in and then won? Also, since we are basically pulling numbers and assumptions out of our ass, I'd like to guess that a victory for Scotty Ngyuen would have been worth much, much more than 1M/yr for many, many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pffft. Lee would be gold for commercials.

1) Put monkeys in poker commercials
2) ????
3) Profit!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see aba or greenplastic being too happy to have to get rid of their Cardrunners %'s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt the few that this affects would try to qualify under these stipulations. If they did, thank god for them they didn't pull it off. Boy would that suck. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]