Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Re: BBV, i need a gun

[ QUOTE ]
Get a Kimber Raptor II Sub-compact. good for concealed carry, .45 is a good caliber, plus it's relatively cool looking.

~Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd really suggest a single action gun for a novice to conceal carry?

(I am assuming it's a single action)
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahaha omfg you win life

[/ QUOTE ]

thx my taco lover brother
Old 08-13-2007, 07:39 AM

you dont need to buy a gun, just buy a ticket outta the ghetto and into a nice white mans neighborhood
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM

When you're being attacked by several people clearly the BFG9000 is the way to go:

Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get a Kimber Raptor II Sub-compact. good for concealed carry, .45 is a good caliber, plus it's relatively cool looking.

~Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to begin with, I wouldn't suggest anyone carry any pistol without taking a CCW course at your local pistol range, and, usually the prereq to take the CCW course is NRA Basic Pistol and NRA Combat Pistol.

As for the SA argument, a 1911 is a different type of SA pistol, it's not as though I'm suggesting OP carry an 1861 Colt Peacemaker or anything.

I carry a 1911 Micro-Compact with me 24/7, it's comfortable, the grip is smaller than most, and, most importantly for the novice, the safety is much more reliable than the newer DA or DAO pistols. Another safety aspect that I was taught by a friend of mine who works for APD is this; If you're ever in an altercation, particularly with a street thug, and he manages to gain control of your gun, the chances are less that he'd be able to use your own gun against you than if you were carrying a Glock/Springfield XD/etc. I've seen the studies that were done concerning this.

Basically, it was a race format. Two people, who described their exposure to handguns as "minimal" were taken to a pistol range, where two handguns sat on the bench. One was a standard police style pistol, I believe it was a Sig, the other was a 1911. They were simply instructed to fire a round downrange when they heard the whistle. On average, it took the Sig user about .5-1 second to fire a round downrange. It took the 1911 user ~3, the worst time was 5 seconds. Why does this matter? I worked at a pistol range for about eighteen months, some time back, and I can tell you from my experience, street thugs do not train with their pistols. They have no theories on Use of Force encounters, they do not understand how different types of ammunition are used in different situations, in short, the exposure they have to handguns is "minimal."

There is a reason you hear stories on the news about guys robbing banks, firing 8 rounds ranging from 3-7 yards away, and hitting no one, then being killed by a cop/security guard who fires 3 rounds from ~20 yards out.

In closing, let me say this. Kimbers and Springfield Armory 1911's are what work for me. OP needs to go to a range, hold and fire as many different guns as you can, and see whats comfortable for you. Then, get training. Competent training should include a comprehensive study on the maintenance of your pistol, the mechanics of firing your pistol (a competent instructor will not stop until you can score, repeatedly, at least a 75% accuracy rating on a police style qual course) and of course, a study on gun laws in your state of residence.

When I was working at the range, we charged $500 for this course, it was a 24 hour, six session course, but we got results. Find something similar, don't take the little 2 hour NRA Basic pistol and think you're ready to carry a gun through your local mall.

~Mike
Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 AM

OR
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to begin with, I wouldn't suggest anyone carry any pistol without taking a CCW course at your local pistol range, and, usually the prereq to take the CCW course is NRA Basic Pistol and NRA Combat Pistol.

As for the SA argument, a 1911 is a different type of SA pistol, it's not as though I'm suggesting OP carry an 1861 Colt Peacemaker or anything.

I carry a 1911 Micro-Compact with me 24/7, it's comfortable, the grip is smaller than most, and, most importantly for the novice, the safety is much more reliable than the newer DA or DAO pistols. Another safety aspect that I was taught by a friend of mine who works for APD is this; If you're ever in an altercation, particularly with a street thug, and he manages to gain control of your gun, the chances are less that he'd be able to use your own gun against you than if you were carrying a Glock/Springfield XD/etc. I've seen the studies that were done concerning this.

Basically, it was a race format. Two people, who described their exposure to handguns as "minimal" were taken to a pistol range, where two handguns sat on the bench. One was a standard police style pistol, I believe it was a Sig, the other was a 1911. They were simply instructed to fire a round downrange when they heard the whistle. On average, it took the Sig user about .5-1 second to fire a round downrange. It took the 1911 user ~3, the worst time was 5 seconds. Why does this matter? I worked at a pistol range for about eighteen months, some time back, and I can tell you from my experience, street thugs do not train with their pistols. They have no theories on Use of Force encounters, they do not understand how different types of ammunition are used in different situations, in short, the exposure they have to handguns is "minimal."

There is a reason you hear stories on the news about guys robbing banks, firing 8 rounds ranging from 3-7 yards away, and hitting no one, then being killed by a cop/security guard who fires 3 rounds from ~20 yards out.

In closing, let me say this. Kimbers and Springfield Armory 1911's are what work for me. OP needs to go to a range, hold and fire as many different guns as you can, and see whats comfortable for you. Then, get training. Competent training should include a comprehensive study on the maintenance of your pistol, the mechanics of firing your pistol (a competent instructor will not stop until you can score, repeatedly, at least a 75% accuracy rating on a police style qual course) and of course, a study on gun laws in your state of residence.

When I was working at the range, we charged $500 for this course, it was a 24 hour, six session course, but we got results. Find something similar, don't take the little 2 hour NRA Basic pistol and think you're ready to carry a gun through your local mall.

~Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

VNP

You've shed some new light on the subject for me. I still feel confident it takes longer for the average person to become comfortable with a S/A pistol vs sa/da or DAO. I don't know how relevant that is right now though.

I worked in an indoor range for a while myself. I had a police cadet on his off time renting a S&W 9mm to better familiarize himself with the gun. He came up to me asking why the gun wouldn't operate. (I was a Glock Armorer) After a thorough inspection I used ALL of my extensive knowledge to let him know he had the bullets in backwards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can't believe I didn't think about the perspective of the SA pistol and someone not being able to use your gun against you.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ughhhhh anyone who recommends any 22 as a concealed carry is so ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

just get a kahr pm9 and save yourself the trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

22s kill mofos.

I take it you are arguing pure stopping power?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ughhhhh anyone who recommends any 22 as a concealed carry is so ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

just get a kahr pm9 and save yourself the trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

22s kill mofos.

I take it you are arguing pure stopping power?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edd is right. a 22 will bounce around and tear your insides up causing massive internal damage, but it has the stopping power of a BB gun, basically. If you need to stop someone coming at you, you need 40 cal, minimum.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IT IS NOT CLOSE!

DDY convinced me to ditch the Glock 19 (9mm) and go for the Glock 22 (40 cal) and I couldn't be happier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any reason you chose the 22 and not the subcompact Glock .40 (which I think is the 27)?