Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Professional No Limit Vol. II

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

... If that is a cookbook approach then so be it. Why the hell else would I buy a book but to learn how the author actually plays? The theory books already exist, more practical hands on style books (that are well written and from reliable sources) are what the majority of small-mid stakes NL players are really looking for at the moment. People want to learn what the different lines are that can be taken in a hand, when these lines work well and don't work well, and see them applied by the author.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

In the history of chess literature, guys like Reinfeld and Chernev wrote general theory guides, but these days if you want to play at the highest level, you need to know if 27. Kh1 is =/+. Fot that you need a cookbook.

To write a truly advanced poker book it needs to be both a theory guide and a line by line cook book. Books like TOP or prob this new book will be indispensable classics. But please don't tell us that we don't want cookbooks, or that cookbooks won't help us. We do, and they will.

[/ QUOTE ]

that you think a cookbook for full ring would be significantly different than a cookbook for six-max pretty much shows that my point went right over your head
Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM

I would like to see a thorough discussion, with many examples, on hand reading using a combination of the board texture, the impact of new cards on the turn/river, and the betting pattern.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

... If that is a cookbook approach then so be it. Why the hell else would I buy a book but to learn how the author actually plays? The theory books already exist, more practical hands on style books (that are well written and from reliable sources) are what the majority of small-mid stakes NL players are really looking for at the moment. People want to learn what the different lines are that can be taken in a hand, when these lines work well and don't work well, and see them applied by the author.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

In the history of chess literature, guys like Reinfeld and Chernev wrote general theory guides, but these days if you want to play at the highest level, you need to know if 27. Kh1 is =/+. Fot that you need a cookbook.

To write a truly advanced poker book it needs to be both a theory guide and a line by line cook book. Books like TOP or prob this new book will be indispensable classics. But please don't tell us that we don't want cookbooks, or that cookbooks won't help us. We do, and they will.

[/ QUOTE ]

that you think a cookbook for full ring would be significantly different than a cookbook for six-max pretty much shows that my point went right over your head

[/ QUOTE ]

Soah, ?????

1) I didn't make any comment whatsoever on how a cookbook might or might not differ from 6 max to full ring.

2) Did you even read the post??

3) Of course i understand your point

4) I just disagree with you about how detailed a really good poker book can aspire to be. I'm sure this book will be terrific. But since this is a "wish-list" thread, more 'line by line' detail is on my wish list.