Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Future of Online Poker

[ QUOTE ]
I have a year off before I attend dental school. If I cannot make a very good amount from poker this year, I will certainly go to dental school. But is it really that stupid to play poker full time if I can make a good living from it?

[/ QUOTE ]

To pass up going to dental school, I'd say you better have a $500,000+ year...

The lifetime future earnings of a dentist do not even compare to all but a tremendously small percentage of poker players, without the risk.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the peak was 05.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peak will come once US reopen. Non-US is uphill currently.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Any thoughts on the expansion of Poker into other markets? With broadband internet access still rising worldwide, is there untapped potential in Asia and Africa?

Of course there's the language barrier, and a certain level of disposable income needed to play online poker, but there must be potential profit to be made somewhere.

Or is there a bigger cultural difference that would stop the spread of poker?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:59 PM

$ is not the only consideration when you are talking about a career in poker. There are no benefits; healthcare, etc. While health ins. is not expensive to buy when you are young and single, try it 10-15 years from now when you have a family.

Then there is the issue of getting loans for house, etc. Much more difficult when you play poker for a living.

That being said there are many benefits to playing poker, setting your own schedule, making lots of $$$. I graduated college and have been playing full time, although I have been starting to look for a job just because I don't want to get a huge resume gap. I mean, no one knows what the games will be like 10 years from now...and if you go 10 years without a real job you won't be a very attractive hire to a company, and will be starting at the bottom of the food chain.

Gl with your decision but I say go to dental school (F the anti-dentites!) and keep playing poker on the side.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 PM

as for poker vs. dentistry, poker vs. a real job, etc., why listen to what people say about this? do what you want, nobody else's opinion matters. i have no idea why people respond with stuff like, "get a job, play poker on the side" and "only 1% of poker players make the annual salary a dentist can." really, who cares? if poker appeals to you, play poker. if you're talented and committed, you'll do fine for yourself, benefits be damned.

as for the future of online poker, nobody knows. if you ask me, though, the worst of it is over.