FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: a completely unrealistic and impossible way to save the NHL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"and maybe a game that doesnt take so fkin long to score sometimes that it ends up in a tie."
Have you seen a hockey game since the lockout?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, cause they arent on TV anymore LOL (not that i would watch anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

The NFL, NBA, and MLB games aren't on TV anymore either. Those sports must be dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, yes they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Because the last time I checked the NHL was on TV as well. I thought today was opposite day or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the last time you checked 2004?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"and maybe a game that doesnt take so fkin long to score sometimes that it ends up in a tie."
Have you seen a hockey game since the lockout?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, cause they arent on TV anymore LOL (not that i would watch anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

The NFL, NBA, and MLB games aren't on TV anymore either. Those sports must be dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, yes they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Because the last time I checked the NHL was on TV as well. I thought today was opposite day or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the last time you checked 2004?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.. Just watched 2 games on TV tonight.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:38 AM

Whatever, I dont need to argue about this. The NHL is a mess and is not in the same category as the NFL, NBA, and MLB anymore and I dont see it getting there any time soon.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever, I dont need to argue about this. The NHL is a mess and is not in the same category as the NFL, NBA, and MLB anymore and I dont see it getting there any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was never there to begin with you [censored] idiot - the only time it was CLOSE to being mentioned with those 3 was when mlb was on strike, the nba was without jordan, and the nfl wasn't exactly setting the world on fire

you're a [censored] idiot
Old 11-04-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In other words, people who think like the OP are morons that should never, ever be in charge of any business decisions. There are more people in California than Canada and Canada is doing pretty well with hockey viewership. Why should the NHL make more efforts to be popular in Canada over the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, cuz hockey's doing GREAT in america.

the nhl should make more efforts to be popular in canada because gary bettman has done irrepairable damage to the NHL as is with asinine number of expansion teams, the strike, refusing ESPN in favor of OLN. there are precious few markets in the US that are still great for hockey (socal, san jose, detroit, minnesota, NYC to some extent), florida, ohio, arizona, nashville and raleigh do not rate among them.

canada, on the other hand, still loves hockey enough to where they can fill an arena far better than [censored] miami.

i'm not saying the NHL should focus more on canada than the US, i'm saying they should give up on the dead markets and try to put teams in places that would work better for the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't know what you're talking about.

tampa bay has consistently had high attendance.

columbus has had very good attendance despite not coming close to sniffing the playoffs.

most nhl teams are not that profitable, but what keeps people buying NHL teams and running them at a loss is the prospect of the team's value increasing. craig leopold ran the predators at a loss for years and could still sell the team for a profit. a fair amount of this value is predicated on the nhl's growth in the united states. moving franchises to canada depresses franchise values because it means one less US TV market interested in hockey, and one more garbage road draw. the ottawa senators were 26th in road attendance despite being one of the best teams in the league this year and it will surprise me if they crack 20th this year. no one cares about canadian franchises except canada.

the problem with the nhl is going up against the NBA in non-traditional NHL markets. florida and phoenix are suffering the most. they're also two terribly run NHL franchises, which never helps. florida went nuts for the panthers in 1996 - they haven't won a playoff round since. phoenix has never won a playoff round dating back to its winnipeg days.

furthermore, if the canadian dollar slips back to where it was 10 years ago, edmonton or calgary might move south. canada's economy has gone robusto since then, but canada does not possess another major NHL market whose demand for an NHL team is great enough to overcome all the other incipient problems with moving a franchise there. Hamilton seems to me a break-even proposition.

The NHL's off ESPN. Its Stanley Cup ratings have been dismal the last three Finals, featuring a non-traditional NHL market and a Canadian team. It cannot lose more television markets - which would all but doom the NHL having its finals on a network and relegating it to the realm of the obscure with MLS.

Florida, Phoenix, or Nashville could move to Kansas City. Other than that, no one should be going anywhere.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought this would be a good idea. many will probably find it stupid.

1. tar and feather gary bettman
2. drag him through the streets of winnipeg on the back of a zamboni
3. move atlanta, st. louis, phoenix, carolina, nashville and columbus to quebec, vancouver, toronto (if NY can have 2 teams, toronto and vancouver should too), winnipeg, hamilton, and london.
4. contract florida and washington
5. reassign the 28 teams into a canadian conference of 14 teams and an american conference of 14 teams.
6. reduce schedule to 70 games.
7. american teams only play american, canadian only plays canadian save for an 8 game "interleague" period.
8. stanley cup finals = canadian conference champion vs american conference champion
9. ?????????
10. profit

[/ QUOTE ]

1 and 2. Who would replace him with?
3. Quebec can't support a franchise, and Vancouver could not support 2. Toronto would not support 2, but Hamilton and region might be able to. You later said Halifax. I was born and raised in Halifax. No way it can support a NHL team.
5. Canada can't support 14 teams.
6. some reduction would be good.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... you make a retarded claim that isn't anywhere close to the truth and then run when you find out the truth? Please don't ever post again, dumbass.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 AM

When i find out the truth? What? The NHL is not on TV, except for Bruins games, since I live in MA. Im just done arguing with a bunch of hockey fans about the state of the NHL.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When i find out the truth? What? The NHL is not on TV, except for Bruins games, since I live in MA. Im just done arguing with a bunch of hockey fans about the state of the NHL.

[/ QUOTE ]

#105,653 and counting
Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no you are