Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Built and lost bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks gir. This is my first time on these forums and I understand why the majority of the people here are [censored]. You guys sure give a warm welcome to newcomers. It sounds to me like the majority of you think you are the best thing to happen to poker. Why have I never heard of any of you? I love this place, I'll be sticking around.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is clearly cocky...but the people here are the best thing to happen to poker (in the sense that you used it)

seriously though, practice and start at 25NL with $500...only way to go
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 AM

Well I was beating $1/$2 with a $200 deposit. I can continue to beat $1/$2 depositing $200... I just need to prevent having a huge losing day because I play well enough to re-build my stack.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:18 AM

In saying that, it obviously makes sense, and has been proven by the masses, to go the safe route. Some times if you are confident enough, taking a risk can payoff.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 AM

How are you beating something if you are busto?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 AM

I busted my last two deposits. I never said I haven't cashed out. I deposit once a week and cash out once a week. Yes, I take a risk by playing higher limits than my initial deposit would suggest, but I have been doing well. I obviously do things differently than most of you here. All I really wanted to see was if anyone had anything they do when they are having a bad run of cards to prevent themselves from tilting hardcore.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 AM

You obviously don't have the experience to evaluate whether you are beating a given stakes or not.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:29 AM

Well you obviously don't have a degree in psychology.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 AM

A key to not being affected by the inevitable swings of poker is to have an adequate bankroll. Ie., at the very least $4k for 200nl.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 AM

Ok seriously, depositing $200 and playing NL200 is not the way to go. It's easy to feel like you can do it and make it work when you're winning, but poker isn't a game where you constantly win. The best player in the world can lose 10 buyins in a day if they are running bad. It doesn't matter how good you are, poker is a game of small edges, and thus even if you're a hugely winning player, there will be periods where you lose.

You need enough money in your bankroll to cushion yourself for those periods. If you talk to a lot of winning players who have played a big sample of hands (ie: 200,000 or more) you won't find one of them who hasn't had many days where they've dropped 5+ buyins.

Bankroll management is probably the most critical thing in poker. If you have an incredible poker player who has no BR management at all vs a decent player with strict BR management, the former will be broke regularly, the later will never go bust.

$500 and NL25 is a great way to start and is typically what I recommend to people who wanna start playing seriously. You'll soon double it and be able to move up in limits. A decent basic guide for management; you want at least 20 buyins for your current limit, when you get up to 30 or so, take a shot at the one above that, if you lose a few buyins drop back down and try again.

If you really are a winning NL200 player, you'll be back up there relatively fast and with a proper roll.

-Andy
Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How are you on these forums with 4300 posts telling me I have a gambling problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

L_O_L what a funny ass f king post loz so retarded