Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is hotter?
Heidi Klum 61 44.20%
Josie Maran 77 55.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: USS Liberty: Accident or Cover-up?

Actually Israel did attack Egypt first, but Egypt had kicked out the UN, put an army on the border and called for the Arab nations to wage war on Israel, so attacking 'first' is stretching it - at that point they did the only thing they could do.

Not that they were without guilt in the conflict in total, both sides bear the burden when you look at the history leading up to it.

Figuring out who is 'most right' is pointless, leave it at the logical conclusion that they were all wrong and it will be a far more healthy view.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Pure Nitwittery.....

[ QUOTE ]
Keeping secret the concurrent massacre of Egyptian POWs a few miles away. (I doubt this one.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a unproven allegation that has recently resurfaced for political reasons in Egypt. Whilst its possible that Israeli soldiers did execute enemy soldiers (happens in most wars) this case is certainly not proven. (irrelevant to this discussion, but the arab countries definitely did execute israeli soldiers in many cases.)
Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Im well aware of the history and events of the conflict - it was a definite and fully justified pre emmptive attack by Israel. I just had not heard claims that Israel said it was attacked (militarily) first.

As to the "most right" question, I agree that both sides should shoulder some blame, but I disagree with the generalisation that they were both wrong. Israel had very little choice in the days before the start of the official war and knew it was facing an existential fight against the huge mass of arab countries that were determined to see its total destruction.

Dont want to derail this interesting thread though so I wont go any further into this here.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM

interesting point on this

a) the adl, an american organization, does everything it can to support a foreign government when that foreign government attacked, killed, and covered up (including trying to strafe and kill every survivor, so that the at some point they had to know it was an american ship and *then* made the decision to kill every american in order to cover it up) the incident.

b) you can't blame a foreign government for pusueing its own interests, including bribing foreign poiliticians.

c) you can blame domestic american organizations for supporting a foreign government, especially when that foreign government is killing americans, especially when that domestic organization is supporting the very act of the foreign government killing americans.

d) if it were the muslim defense league instead of adl, then look what the muslims are going through, harassment, renditioning, asset seizure, etc., and the main difference is that the muslim mosques and mdl have *denounced* things like 911 and cole bombing, etc. , while adl defends israel killing americans.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:46 PM

are you replying to me? I dont think I made any points that relate to your reply....

also, i have no idea what you are talking about. what does the adl have to do with this topic?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you replying to me? I dont think I made any points that relate to your reply....

also, i have no idea what you are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

no just kinda my sum up point.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 PM

ah... ok. no problem...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
interesting point on this

a) the adl, an american organization, does everything it can to support a foreign government when that foreign government attacked, killed, and covered up (including trying to strafe and kill every survivor, so that the at some point they had to know it was an american ship and *then* made the decision to kill every american in order to cover it up) the incident.

b) you can't blame a foreign government for pusueing its own interests, including bribing foreign poiliticians.

c) you can blame domestic american organizations for supporting a foreign government, especially when that foreign government is killing americans, especially when that domestic organization is supporting the very act of the foreign government killing americans.

d) if it were the muslim defense league instead of adl, then look what the muslims are going through, harassment, renditioning, asset seizure, etc., and the main difference is that the muslim mosques and mdl have *denounced* things like 911 and cole bombing, etc. , while adl defends israel killing americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this argument is incredibly speculative, including the specifics of the air to sea combat incident. And maybe not the least, you just broadened to the scope into becoming a bordercrossing conspiracy and naming a specific organization on slim evidence.

And I'm sorry to say this is the kind of thing that often plagues discussions like these - people are looking for patterns and reasons, and when you look for a specific pattern in a massive pool of information you will tend to find it.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, this argument is incredibly speculative, including the specifics of the air to sea combat incident. And maybe not the least, you just broadened to the scope into becoming a bordercrossing conspiracy and naming a specific organization on slim evidence.

And I'm sorry to say this is the kind of thing that often plagues discussions like these - people are looking for patterns and reasons, and when you look for a specific pattern in a massive pool of information you will tend to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it's just that when I googled uss liberty why last night the two interesting links that popped up were
a) the one I posted
b) an adl link that said it was anti semitic to talk about the incident.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 PM

one more
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/ussliberty.html
[ QUOTE ]
Israel attacked the USS Liberty using UNMARKED AIRCRAFT. This is the single fact which proves Israel knew exactly who they were attacking. Israel's story is that they thought USS Liberty was an Egyptian ship and therefore a legitimate target of war. Were that true, there would be no reason to attack a supposedly Egyptian ship with unmarked aircraft. The only possible reason to use unmarked aircraft to attack the ship is that Israel knew it was an American ship and intended to sink it, then to blame the attack on Egypt.

[/ QUOTE ]