Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Micro Stakes Limit Holdem (almost dissertation)

I'm sure a lot of my thoughts have already probably been discussed but it's late and I don't want to read the entire thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1) Yes the games are harder but still far less than have your opponents are going to be 'good'.

2) Yes people have learned to fold preflop but they still have no clue how to play postflop.

3) I don't think the games are as aggressive as you are describing here. But if people are going insane then you can't fold your marginal hands so easily.

4) Perhaps it's time you limp with your good hands sometimes too then.

5) I think small pairs have been fairly crappy played just for set value for quite a while now.

6) Again if people are rasing with air then you just have to call down. You should perhaps read Winning In Tough Hold'em Games.

Online games are absolutely nothing like the games in Middle Limit Hold'em and if you play like Ciaffone suggets you will get killed.

Be like me and switch mostly to NL and only play limit when the table(s) look juicy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know you don't want to listen to the varience thing but I probably have twenty 100BB downswings at limit hold'em. It's not the end of the world.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
General question to the forum: does the stox book have useful info on blind play?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Stox book has just about the most detailed preflop discussion I've seen in any of the books or articles I've read. Even though it's written for high-stakes games, it's still really valuable to anyone, though I'd guess that the advice is easy to misapply.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Looking for love in all the wrong places

[ QUOTE ]
But there's just no reason for your average casual player to play tight-ass full-ring limit anymore (sorry limit forum)... All the smart LPP's took their game to 6-max where they can still see 4-5 players to a flop sometimes and call down their 3rd pair ('I put him on AK'), and win.

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't you find that a lot of the bad players at 6max are LAGtards? Yeah these guys are beatable but it requires a different style of play to that we use to beat up LPPs. A lot of the stuff discussed above in the thread mentions things that you have to get comfortable with to beat 6max, like calling down with A-hi and three-barrelling a whiffed AK. Or maybe my perspective's just skewed because I've been playing on UB a lot receently.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But don't you find that a lot of the bad players at 6max are LAGtards? Yeah these guys are beatable but it requires a different style of play to that we use to beat up LPPs. A lot of the stuff discussed above in the thread mentions things that you have to get comfortable with to beat 6max, like calling down with A-hi and three-barrelling a whiffed AK. Or maybe my perspective's just skewed because I've been playing on UB a lot receently.

[/ QUOTE ]

6-max takes 75% of poker situations and puts them in one nice neat little package. Yes you play the game slightly different, but the concepts you develop transfer to full ring very easily.

Also, calling down with A-high, 3barrelling with AK has very little to do with your hand. It has everything to do with your opponent. Move past the cards.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, calling down with A-high, 3barrelling with AK has very little to do with your hand. It has everything to do with your opponent. Move past the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 07-04-2007, 01:29 PM

play shorthanded
Old 07-04-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Know your enemy to crush him.

Here
is the theoretical fundation for the SLAG-style. TAG was yesterday. Seems like this gets the new fashion, that we have to adapt to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is the 26/15/2.5 that so many have been characterizing as 'LAG' lately.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

is the theoretical fundation for the SLAG-style. TAG was yesterday. Seems like this gets the new fashion, that we have to adapt to.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guitierez, thank you for this link. Very valuable look inside SLAG's head. It also vindicates the perception of quite a few people here that a new type of player has emerged and we need a conter-weapon. Although I am slightly dissapointed that the term SLAG was already used a month before I came up with it. Oh well [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] At least I introduced it to micros. Hope to earn a title "SLAG Killa" someday [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ignignokt, I was already eying it, think I'm gonna order it today. Seems to be the next logical step from SSHE and more applicable to today's .50/1 and 1/2 levels. It's made its way down from middle levels, dang it.

Lastly, here is a direct quote from this month's CardPlayer. If you read it, you know that Roy Cooke has a regular column there on Limit Hold'em (live mid-stakes). He said:

" ... Nowadays there are many players who have learned the value of aggression, but not how to use it. They raise too much and bluff too much when a better play is available. With all of the writing about aggressive styles of play, there are so many who are playing this style that they take value from each other. And they are so predictable that it's fairly easy to design plays that let them bleed off their chips to you. Aggression still has huge value in poker, but it is a different play now that it used to be. And it now calls for different thinking to counter."

Micros, let's stop being in denial and start figuring out how to "let them bleed off their chips to us". And when they stackofftilt the remainder of buyin and curse the "damn donkeys" in the chat room - we say Sup, bro? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise w AK get 3-bet, cap, to the flop HU

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't cap AK if you're afraid of getting bluffed off the best hand postflop. Call with AK, and call with big pairs to balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF AWFUL ADVICE WARNING