Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Ron Paul on CNN at 7EST tonite (5/16)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope that this interview ends the speculation that the MSM is conspiring to suppress candidates that oppose "the establishment". The media doesn't cover Paul for the same reason they don't cover any of the other 2nd or 3rd tier candidates: no money, no organization and no support.

[/ QUOTE ]

So on one hand, you admit that the media covers those candidates with big money and support (which both come primarily from the "establishment"), and on the other hand, you think this is proof that the media isn't biased against those who oppose the establishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I do. The media isn't biased against candidates, they report on the bias. Saying the media is biased implies that it is the media's fault that Ron Paul has no shot. The media merely report on that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is more important, 80% of what's in the news or detailed information on every single Republican and Democratic presidential candidate? It's really not even close.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me just add that if the media were biased against Ron Paul, I would say that is a good thing. When I read an MSM source, I want to hear about the most important stories. Since Ron Paul has no shot, he is not an important story.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Paul has a very tiny shot, not "no" shot.

2. Paul will have a very big influence on the Republican primaries with or without a shot. He also might well destroy the Republican party when the libertarian Republicans, a good 20-25% of the Republican voting base, see how the party completely disrespects him and realize that their dream of promoting libertarianism through the Republican party is just that, a dream.

You are severely underestimating the influence Paul can have on this race regardless of whether he actually has a chance or not.

Furthermore... every single one of these candidates is a presidential candidate, no matter how unlikely they are to win. The news should damned well be covering them over 80% of the trivial BS they call "news."
Old 05-17-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a bit of a cop out. The representative leaders are there because "the people" cast the votes. If the people aren't willing to shoulder the blame for the actions of their leaders then they need to vote for someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many of us here that didn't vote for Bush, or Clinton, or anyone who has had horrible foreign policies. Or maybe some people who voted for a bad candidate as self-defense against an even worse candidate.
Do I think that it is good to vote for tyrants like Bush? Obviously not. But the bottom line is that these people are making the policy decisions, not 'us'. Too often people refuse to hold authority figures accountable for their actions, or treat a collective entity like 'government' as if it wasn't composed of individuals. In a system where lots of people do vote for someone else, where 49% of the people could vote for someone and get 0% representation, it is ridiculous to act as if the 'people' are responsible for government's actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. It's also equally ridiculous to not implicate the 51% of "people" who voted for the wrong-doers. You can't blame the individuals that run for government for picking a platform that wins because it's supported by the voters. The blame should be directed at the voters.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure. It's also equally ridiculous to not implicate the 51% of "people" who voted for the wrong-doers. You can't blame the individuals that run for government for picking a platform that wins because it's supported by the voters. The blame should be directed at the voters.

[/ QUOTE ]

But as I pointed out, the reasons why people may have voted for the leaders responsible may vary greatly, and for many might include voting for the lesser of two evils (something that wouldn't exist in a system less terrible than the one we have).
So, yeah, people who desired such policies and voted accordingly should get some blame, but most goes on the people who actually came up with and authorized the policies.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes I do. The media isn't biased against candidates, they report on the bias. Saying the media is biased implies that it is the media's fault that Ron Paul has no shot. The media merely report on that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/launchPage...20Page&News

(Good, sickening, clip - 3 min - I don't see how any rational person could consider this unbiased or accurate: it misrepresents Paul's statements, equating them with 9/11 conspiracy theories such as loose change)

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, what a brilliant piece of propraganda.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:14 PM

If Ron Paul is allowed to stay in the debates and gains any traction, the media will finally cover him. However, this will receive a lot of coverage, too.

Paul: "Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,' I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal"

Paul: "If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be."

Paul: "we are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational. Black men commit murders, rapes, robberies, muggings and burglaries all out of proportion to their numbers"
Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Ron Paul is allowed to stay in the debates and gains any traction, the media will finally cover him. However, this will receive a lot of coverage, too.

Paul: "Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,' I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal"

Paul: "If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be."

Paul: "we are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational. Black men commit murders, rapes, robberies, muggings and burglaries all out of proportion to their numbers"

[/ QUOTE ]

Source please?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Source please?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...5/23/paul.html

http://www.latestpolitics.com/blog/2...ron-pauls.html
Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 PM

Of course! Let the cries of racism and anti-semitism begin!

I notice you don't link to the actual statements by Ron Paul, only to people who use the cherry-picking out-of-context meaning-distorting quote-mining techniques of creationists.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Yeah hopefully, he keeps that stuff to himself if he wants to get elected.

You would think a doctor would be a little smarter than to spout off like that about black people regardless of how he actually feels.

Of course there are a lot of republicans who make like him for this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]