Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Review of cover design

is this book at B&N yet?

btw, i tried out raising 6xBB pf with AA/KK over 15,000 hands at 25nl and 50nl: i got called twice. one was a shortstack. so not sure how well the preflop bet sizing is going to go over online. butmaybe it's a "concept" thing, not so much a tactical thing. anyways, looking forward to reading the book.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM

I play against conventional 2+2 style, which is why I don't post here so often. I play small ball, and anytime I post explaining a 3x bet from late position after 3 limpers with Aces, they tell me not to, because I should raise to like 10 x BB (exaggeration, I know). I like seeing flops and making post-flop decisions. If I have to fold Aces then so be it.

If these books are attempting to show people how to play actual poker, I am nervous, but not worried. I can be hopeful that the concepts will be too far beyond many people's heads.

To the Authors: I play 500 NL and sometimes higher, sometimes lower. What level is the target audience for this book, and I guess for later books as well. I will probably pick it up because I like to read, and "shockingly" find I still have problems in my game.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this book at B&N yet?

btw, i tried out raising 6xBB pf with AA/KK over 15,000 hands at 25nl and 50nl: i got called twice. one was a shortstack. so not sure how well the preflop bet sizing is going to go over online. butmaybe it's a "concept" thing, not so much a tactical thing. anyways, looking forward to reading the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean that approx. over the 150 times you got dealt AA or KK you only saw the flop twice. Either you are making this up or you are playing in the tightest games that have ever existed.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:37 PM

go ahead and try it. see how many times you get called (this is on stars and i table select well)
Old 07-24-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this book at B&N yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet.

[ QUOTE ]
btw, i tried out raising 6xBB pf with AA/KK over 15,000 hands at 25nl and 50nl: i got called twice. one was a shortstack. so not sure how well the preflop bet sizing is going to go over online. butmaybe it's a "concept" thing, not so much a tactical thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes exactly, we don't recommend routinely raising to 6bb preflop with AA/KK unless the stack sizes work for that and your opponents will call often, remain oblivious to your narrow hand range, etc.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this book at B&N yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I don't think the authors suggest anywhere that you *should* raise to 6xBB with AA/KK. They are merely illustrating a point.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I don't think the authors suggest anywhere that you *should* raise to 6xBB with AA/KK. They are merely illustrating a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are absolutely right, we weren't and we don't suggest blindly raising to 6bb with AA/KK. that's a truly bad play if everyone will fold most of the time. you want to play a pot with aces!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is on stars

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i table select well

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think these two statements go together any more. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

sorry but what does spr stand for
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
sorry but what does spr stand for

[/ QUOTE ]

From the author Matt Flynn:

[ QUOTE ]
SPR is how we abbreviate stack-to-pot ratio in Professional No-Limit Hold 'em Volume 1.

A stack-to-pot ratio between two players is the smaller remaining stack AT THE FLOP before any postflop betting occurs, divided by the final preflop pot. for example:

You have $100 and raise to $10 first in from the small blind. The big blind calls. He has more than you. The final preflop pot is $20. You have $90 left and have the smaller stack. The SPR is $90 / $20 = 4.5.

[/ QUOTE ]