Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

indeed i told my brother not to be result-oriented, doesn't mean i won't be lol.

got a family meal tonight. northern rock up 33% today, so now at 273p so a 95p rise.

that would have been a $19,000 profit in two days with a risk of just $10k.

lol he's going to be happy with me.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM

I use yahoo finance for a lot of the work I do. Is there a way to look at this company there?

https://web.grouprsi.com/rsweb/investors

Thanks,

Krishan
Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Krishan,

I just started using globe investore for my preliminary screens of canadian companies (globeinvestor.com) and I find its pretty good. Hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 PM

looks good. I appreciate it.

Krishan
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone have thoughts on china digital tv holdings? (stv)

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought a little of it after posting this at like 35 and today it openned at almost 50 and hit 55 before coming back down to low 50s.

anyone have thoughts now?

im pretty much a complete noob and have no idea if this is the type of thing i should hold onto or jump ship now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably be in index funds. Generally when you buy a stock it's with an idea of what performance you are looking for within what timeframe. Changes in available information can cause you to change of course but having a plan to start with is important.

What were your expectations?

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i should clarify. I have just started doing some trading and am just playing around with a few K basically gambling. I already have other long term investments in a separate portfolio.

My expectation for this stock was that it looked really awesome to a noob like me so it probably looks awesome to other noobs out there (chinese tech stock ipo woo hoo!)

so now that i basically gambled and won, im just not sure if i should pull out or let it ride.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought a little of it after posting this at like 35 and today it openned at almost 50 and hit 55 before coming back down to low 50s.

im pretty much a complete noob and have no idea if this is the type of thing i should hold onto or jump ship now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably be in index funds. Generally when you buy a stock it's with an idea of what performance you are looking for within what timeframe. Changes in available information can cause you to change of course but having a plan to start with is important.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i should clarify. I have just started doing some trading and am just playing around with a few K basically gambling. I already have other long term investments in a separate portfolio.

My expectation for this stock was that it looked really awesome to a noob like me so it probably looks awesome to other noobs out there (chinese tech stock ipo woo hoo!)

so now that i basically gambled and won, im just not sure if i should pull out or let it ride.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're gambling, then I vote for let it ride! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you want excess returns without a substantial amount of work on a smallish portion of your total investing roll you should either

1) read greenblatts the little book that beats the market
2) subscribe to one of the motley fool's newsletter services
3) pick high risk/reward emerging market ETFs/other potentially high return indexes
4) follow individual picks on the forum from people you respect with enough information to be able to sell/evaluate changes in the environment on your own.

The alternative is to invest lots of time in an attempt to really learn to beat the market.

What games are you playing these days?

Krishan
Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 AM

This may sound stupid but what can I do with $4k besides investing it into a Savings account or CD considering how I don't mind risk. And I want something where I put more time into the investment that would correlate with higher yields.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may sound stupid but what can I do with $4k besides investing it into a Savings account or CD considering how I don't mind risk. And I want something where I put more time into the investment that would correlate with higher yields.

[/ QUOTE ]
Talk to Shoe; he is quickly becoming a shining star in this forum!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 AM

SH, people might actually take you seriously if you say things like that!
Closed Thread