Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Interesting question that I\'m not sure has been answered

makes the most money is TERRIBLY DIFFERENT from making the nuts most often...go look at AA in PT, see how often it won without the nuts... all day long...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 PM

Default IT is not AA, here is why...

ok, everyones saying AA, here is why it isnt AA...
If the board pairs, AA isnt the nuts, quads can be out, if the board has a 3 flush, it isnt the nuts, if there is any str8 possibility, it isnt the nuts....
Clearly if it sets up and the board is completely uncoordinated, it is the nut hand, but this happens SO SO rarely!!! Think about it... A 4 7 j 8 = 5 9 equals nuts.
Everyone go to their PT and look at AA, then read the board, it makes the most money but it does not show down the nuts often.
AA isnt the nuts on a huge amount of boards...

Lets look at some other hands.
J10s. makes str8s and flushes often, problem = flushes arent nut flushes...

AKs - this is my bet, here is why.... It hits str8s and flushes and when it does, it is always the nuts.
it hits boats and quads as often as non pair hands, keep in mind, a paired hand making a boat or quads is very rare. The most common hands that are the nuts will be some sort of str8 or flush...
this is an interesting debate, but I still love AK...
Any other suited connector cant be a nut flush or else i would love J10s because of its higher str8 potential
Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Interesting question that I\'m not sure has been answered

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect that the OP is thinking about the conditional definition (the nuts given what you hold) and believe that the answer is ATs. There is no advantage to AKs over ATs - any flush will still be the nuts, they make the same nut straights, straight flushes, four of a kind and boats. ATs will do better as it makes more (nut) straight flushes - 6789, 789J, 89JQ,JQK versus TJQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
ATs also defends you against opponent straight flushes better than AKs. For instance, suppose on a board of K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you hold A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Even though you haven't got a straight flush, the T you hold ensures that no opponent can make a straight flush either, and thus you hold the nuts.

However, ATs's extra straight-flushes and its improved straight-flush defense (relative to AKs) should be considerably outweighed by its problem making nut boats. For example, on a rainbow board of AAT2, 15 times in 46 the river will counterfeit your nut hand when you hold ATs. However, if you hold AK on a board of AAK2, you will be counterfeit only 3 times.

At some point I'll check the math on this and compare SF's to boats, but intuition tells me boats matter more.