Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Wii, 360, or PS3?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But there are pros and cons to coming to the market early or late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a 30% hardware failure rate (even 2 yrs later)? I know, low blow, and it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot (except costing M$ a TON of $$$).

Fiskebent, have you seen the screenshots or vids of FF XIII? They made an entirely new engine (since before the PS3 was released) called the White Engine and the shots I've seen look incredible. Better than any game I've seen so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your infatuation with FF and The White Engine, you'll be happy to know note that it (The White Engine) has been designed to be crossplatform from the beginning. Something also worth considering given the OP.

[ QUOTE ]
“..Last year we went through a development reorganization, with the development of our own cross-platform middleware – the white engine. This is the foundation for FFXIII and the new MMO. It’s safe to say that it won’t be much longer before I’m able to unveil even more secrets about what the future holds for Square Enix.”

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But there are pros and cons to coming to the market early or late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a 30% hardware failure rate (even 2 yrs later)? I know, low blow, and it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot (except costing M$ a TON of $$$).

Fiskebent, have you seen the screenshots or vids of FF XIII? They made an entirely new engine (since before the PS3 was released) called the White Engine and the shots I've seen look incredible. Better than any game I've seen so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your infatuation with FF and The White Engine, you'll be happy to know note that it (The White Engine) has been designed to be crossplatform from the beginning. Something also worth considering given the OP.

[ QUOTE ]
“..Last year we went through a development reorganization, with the development of our own cross-platform middleware – the white engine. This is the foundation for FFXIII and the new MMO. It’s safe to say that it won’t be much longer before I’m able to unveil even more secrets about what the future holds for Square Enix.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool little article. I hope they follow through w/ the cross platform MMO. Given the screenshots of FFXIII it should be cool. It will also allow them to program for both systems MUCH easier and better since they will be optimized on each system separately.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Forest, trees and all that.

A side effect of the PS3s current failure is that its going to continue losing exclusives. That a company who previously never even really touched XBox hardware (for the most part) is now developing their flagship games and engines to be cross platform from the beginning is a very good sign for 360 owners.

Companies are in this for the money after all.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:26 AM

Cool Little 360 Article

Found this little article which has a cool new RPG being made by Square for the 360, as well as Ninja Gaiden 2 which will be an exclusive.

From my research it doesn't look like this is running on the white engine (but is running on the Unreal Engine) and from what I've read I think the multi-platform white engine is only being developed w/ the multi-platform MMO game they are developing and FFXIII.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM

I have a Wii and PS3 - would really prefer a 360.

If I actually played games, I'd definitely buy a 360.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a decent library out for the PS3 as after its first year, but like the 360 just no jaw droppers

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you consider a "jaw dropper." Looked at the some old Game Informers which my little brother gets as I'm at home this weekend. It gave Bioshock a 10, Mass Effect 9.75, Halo 3 9.75, and Orange Box 9.75. Those are all 360 exclusives.

I'm not "rooting" for anyone, maybe a slight root for Nintendo especially after the craptastic performance of Gamecube I was worried this was their last shot. Thankfully, the Wii has been a tremendous success. That being said, 360 is very far ahead of the competition for hardcore gamers IMO.

Wii has so much crap games being released for it with crap motion controls "tacked on." Zelda and Metroid are obviously must plays, and Galaxy will be soon. Other than that...not a lot to get excited about it yet...no matter how much Nicho pimps Zack and Wiki.

PS3 has minimal offerings you can only get there right now. Obviously every system is going to have big exclusives, it just seems like the majority of the big exclusives are on 360 right now and will continue to be...Sony simply doesn't have the third party domination it had last generation. It used 3rd party exclusives to win last generation and it doesn't have that advantage this time.

Sadly, Microsoft is my least favorite of the three companies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looked at the some old Game Informers which my little brother gets as I'm at home this weekend. It gave Bioshock a 10, Mass Effect 9.75, Halo 3 9.75, and Orange Box 9.75. Those are all 360 exclusives.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Old' Game Informers, huh... Mass Effect comes out later this month, Halo, Orange Box, & Bioshock all came out in the 2nd year.

The PS3 has kept a pretty good pace IMO, especially w/ how much competition it has. As for 'jaw droppers', well Q2 next year is looking pretty good as GTA, FF, & MGS are all slated for release around that time.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

I don't understand the arguments. 360 and PS3 have similar technology. Yes 360 came out a year before and has more games but I don't think you have to compare everything on a relative time scale. To buyers it's a on a current time scale and right now PS3 is getting dominated even in the cross-consoles games. I guess if your patient and can keep waiting for the great games that might come out, then do it. But right now it makes almost no sense to buy the PS3 over the 360. Then you can decide between the Wii or the 360. If your more into kid-oriented, fun type, group type games where graphics aren't paramount you pick the Wii. If your more hardcore gaming, enjoy better graphics, pick the 360. Right now it just doesn't make sense if you want to play games, have a better library and pretty much same functioning other than not having a Hd/DVD or Blu-Ray player, you should pick 360. If your dying for some of the PS3 exclusives and can wait, wait. Otherwise the choice is simple between the two hardcore systems.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the arguments. 360 and PS3 have similar technology. Yes 360 came out a year before and has more games but I don't think you have to compare everything on a relative time scale. To buyers it's a on a current time scale and right now PS3 is getting dominated even in the cross-consoles games. I guess if your patient and can keep waiting for the great games that might come out, then do it. But right now it makes almost no sense to buy the PS3 over the 360. Then you can decide between the Wii or the 360. If your more into kid-oriented, fun type, group type games where graphics aren't paramount you pick the Wii. If your more hardcore gaming, enjoy better graphics, pick the 360. Right now it just doesn't make sense if you want to play games, have a better library and pretty much same functioning other than not having a Hd/DVD or Blu-Ray player, you should pick 360. If your dying for some of the PS3 exclusives and can wait, wait. Otherwise the choice is simple between the two hardcore systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed completely.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed completely.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can make an argument for the wii or 360, but the ps3, while having the best hardware, just doesn't match up in the game department and cost the most $$$. Plain and simple.