Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

[ QUOTE ]
My condolences, but let this be a lesson. Hopefully you're planning on some new shelves. You can see the others that didn't break flexing in your pic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah. The hole [censored] is going to burn very soon
Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Where do you guys buy all these specialty beers?

I was wondering if you guys knew of any places in and around NYC to get some of these beers, I'd really like to try some.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if you guys knew of any places in and around NYC to get some of these beers, I'd really like to try some.

[/ QUOTE ]

You came to the right place. I live on LI myself, but do much beer shopping in the city. My #1 place to go to is New Beer Distributing on Chrystie Street. You can take the B or D subway down to Grand and Chrystie and just walk north...you can't miss it. They stock all sorts of beers from not only the New York area (Southampton, Middle Ages, Southern Tier, Captain Lawrence), but California brews like Stone, Anderson Valley, and Moylans. Not to mention their sweet international selection, which I could go on and on about, but I'm sure it'll be better to see in person.

If for some reason you decide to do some shopping in Brooklyn, go to American Beer Distributing on 256 Court St. You can take the F or the G train to Bergen and Smith, and then take a walk up to Court. What's nice about having this place at your disposal is that it stocks quite a number of different beers than New Beer, though I've found for some brews, American charges a bit more. It all depends what you're looking for. Let me know if you've got any other questions. Happy hunting.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You came to the right place. I live on LI myself, but do much beer shopping in the city. My #1 place to go to is New Beer Distributing on Chrystie Street. You can take the B or D subway down to Grand and Chrystie and just walk north...you can't miss it. They stock all sorts of beers from not only the New York area (Southampton, Middle Ages, Southern Tier, Captain Lawrence), but California brews like Stone, Anderson Valley, and Moylans. Not to mention their sweet international selection, which I could go on and on about, but I'm sure it'll be better to see in person.

If for some reason you decide to do some shopping in Brooklyn, go to American Beer Distributing on 256 Court St. You can take the F or the G train to Bergen and Smith, and then take a walk up to Court. What's nice about having this place at your disposal is that it stocks quite a number of different beers than New Beer, though I've found for some brews, American charges a bit more. It all depends what you're looking for. Let me know if you've got any other questions. Happy hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, thanks a ton
Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 AM

Last night I revisited a beer that I know Wookie and I enjoyed, but with a little twist. The beer in question is Schneider Aventinus, and here's the twist: my girlfriend and I did a side-by-side tasting of fresh Aventinus with a 6 year-old bottle of Aventinus that was wrapped in paper. I never had a beer that was old enough to go to elementary school, so this was bound to be a fun experience. Here's some photographic evidence of this occurrence:

It's not very clear in this picture, but you'll notice there's some type on the right bottle where you can see "...WED," which fully says "Brewed in 2001." Also, you'll see that the ABV apparently differs by 0.2% between the two bottles. Here's another picture showing the two beers in different glasses; the aged version is in the snifter.

Hopefully it's somewhat clear in the picture, but if it isn't, the aged version was much darker than the fresh one. And the aromas were quite different as well. The fresh version smells pretty much the same as how I reviewed it earlier in this thread; very clovey with bananas. The older version was different animal, smelling of caramel and dark fruits, somewhat brandy-ish. It kind of reminded me of some barleywines I've had, which I thought was pretty interesting. As for the taste, well the fresh version was good as ever, echoing its aromas with a slight caramel taste. The aged version had more of a dark fruity taste, along with a stronger caramel flavor. It was also noticeably boozier and less carbonated. Overall, this was quite a fun experiment. So what's the verdict? My girlfriend preferred the fresh version, mainly because the older one was boozier. As for me, it's tough to choose. They're both so different. As it ended up due to the lady's preference, I had more of the older version and I enjoyed it a lot. I suppose I'd lean toward the aged version if I really really had to choose. If you ever find a bottle wrapped in paper like this, pick it up and taste the difference yourselves.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:08 AM

I treated myself good tonight. Delerium Tremens. Came in 11.2 oz bottle. Weird looking bottle.

Served in my Duvel tulip glass (exactly like the Gulden Draak one pictured above). Pours a golden straw color, a bit on the orange side. Huge foamy head. LOTS of yeast in the pour. Flakes all over the place. Woops. Awesome lacing.

Awesome smell from this beer. Similar to La Fin Du Monde. Citrusy, spicey (I think I picked up on some cinnamon), and some other fruits. I want to say apple, pear, grapefruit, and maybe even some orange.

Great flavor. Crisp and clean. Good level of carbonation. Sweet fruity flavor, balanced with the yeasty finish and spicey bite. This beer is really a knockout. I'm not sure if I've handed out five hearts before, but here it is. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Lovers of La Fin Du Monde and similar ales have to give this a taste. This may very well be my favorite beer.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Nice. I'll pick this one up the next time I'm out. I tried the Delerium Nocturne (or something similar to that name) early in my Belgian beer explorations, and I didn't really like it at the time. I think part of it was that I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but I avoided other Delerium beers because of it. However, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] trippels, so there's no way I'm passing this one up.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Delirium Tremens was probably the reason I got into craft beer in the first place. I went to a bar with a couple of my friends back at school, and they had a bottle of Delirium for $12. The guy there said it was supposed to be like the best beer in the world. Taking the bartender's word for it, we split the bottle three ways. For that one shining moment, it was the best beer I had ever tasted. I hadn't had anything like it before. You couldn't taste the alcohol at all and it was just so damn tasty. Too bad I don't remember the taste any more. A month or two later I bought a bottle of my own and I wasn't as impressed. I may have to get another one some time and put down a final verdict.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Deliruim Tremens is a very good beer. Their Delirium Noel is probably my favorite Christmas brew just for the label alone. There's nothing like Santa Claus being pulled across the sky in his sleigh by pink elephants to put you in the holiday spirit.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM

I might do a couple reviews tonight. First off, I'll continue the canned beer quest with the Heinnieweisse Weissbier from Butternuts Beer and Ale. I was underwhelmed w/ the first Butternuts can I had, and I'm inherently nervous of all American Hefeweizens. This one is at least spelled the German way, so perhaps there's hope? I paid $1.59 for a 12 oz can, so I'm not out much worst case.

The beer pours quite light, even by Weissbier standards, and it's totally clear. I think I'll be missing my yeasty flavor. The head starts small, and it soon dissipates to nothing.

Taking a whiff, I'm not impressed, but there's hope. It's lacking the usual clove and banana scents, but there's a little bit of citrus and hops. The flavor is still pretty lacking, though. The citrus and hops are not pronounced, and the malt is pretty thin. There's a little peach flavor in there, too. I miss the carbonation, too -- this beer is pretty flat. I'm going to give it [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. A reasonable head could have given it another half heart. It's nothing special, so don't bother w/ this one.