Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Nice house.

Where is it? Rent or own? How much?

And degen, you are mistaken when you say thai people are accepting. Thai people are raciest. Its in their blood and has been that way forever. Skin color determines social status. Dark skin means you are poor and have to work slave jobs in rice fields while white skin means you are rich and can shop in bangkok all day hiding from the sun. Its sad but thats the way it is. For the most part it is correct though but unfortanitly the thais sometimes transfer these views over to black people and assume they are poor, etc.

But again, there are not many blacks in Thailand. There are some areas in bangkok with a lot but you dont really see to many. Honestly I think you will still have a great time and not run into the things I described. I wouldnt worry too much.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do they view Persians?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the important part here is that you're American. In the southern part of thailand, there are violent muslims. But if you're wearing regular clothes, etc, I don't think you'd be bunched in with them..

I was shopping at the Thai version of wal-mart yesterday, and I saw a muslim family. The mother was wearing the tent thing that they wear with the slit in the eyes. It was really weird to see this in person, and it really opened my eyes to that religion.

I think women suck in a lot of cases, but making someone walk around in this thing is just bogus.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One thing I'm surprised is that no one has mentioned the fact that farang can't own property.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you lived there you have to rent? That does sound like a bummer. Whats the point of an investor visa (or whatever that was called)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its been pointed out that there are ways around it. For example, our house is in my wifes name.

[/ QUOTE ]

that isnt a way around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, that was poorly phrased. I should have just said what my situation was.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:16 PM

Deg means they will smile at him and say Yes Sir!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:21 PM

I still need to find some [censored] dim sum here in Samui.

Looks like I will just have to settle for MK or Fuji today
Old 09-30-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice house.

Where is it? Rent or own? How much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chiang Mai. (Actually Hang Dong, lol)

We own it.

Tao rai?? Wow, you're becoming Thai.

[ QUOTE ]

And degen, you are mistaken when you say thai people are accepting. Thai people are raciest. Its in their blood and has been that way forever. Skin color determines social status. Dark skin means you are poor and have to work slave jobs in rice fields while white skin means you are rich and can shop in bangkok all day hiding from the sun. Its sad but thats the way it is. For the most part it is correct though but unfortanitly the thais sometimes transfer these views over to black people and assume they are poor, etc.

But again, there are not many blacks in Thailand. There are some areas in bangkok with a lot but you dont really see to many. Honestly I think you will still have a great time and not run into the things I described. I wouldnt worry too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Farang, I agree with this. And, I think it should be said that we are all just speculating when we're trying to express thai people's views , etc.. We are getting their opinions from them, and often they suck at english, etc.

something I'd like to say about poker...

The thai's would be dumb to try and stop farang from playing. People doing this are bringing A LOT of money into their country. Why would they want to stop this. I think if anyone ever got in trouble, explaining this point of view my be very helpful to them.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:30 PM

"Tao rai?? Wow, you're becoming Thai."

If it was a rental I was curious as to how much it was
Old 09-30-2006, 10:30 PM

The girls will love you the most when you go to a more remote area of Thailand. When you're in BKK or Chiang Mai, the thais are used to Farang. But if you go to a small town like Lampang or whatever, people will really be going out of their way to get your attention, say hello, shake your hand, etc.. I went to a coffee shop with my wife and her friend, and the waitress was basically drooling over me. She was smiling and giggling uncontrollably. I've never experienced this in my life. She was VERY hot too. If I wasn't married, I prolly woulda married her right there..
Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Tao rai?? Wow, you're becoming Thai."

If it was a rental I was curious as to how much it was

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya man, i was just playing.. But, similar houses rent for $500. They don't have much furniture in them, though.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:35 PM

20,000 baht for a house like that isnt bad at all.

I think the CM area has some good deals. Im thinking I should spend 3 months somewhere in the area for a change of pace sometime.

Not too many farang up there huh?
Closed Thread