Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

I had the chance to try the Racer 5 IPA for the first time this weekend, but I went for the DFH 90, which I had never tried on tap before. Did I make a mistake?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:56 AM

I was also a big fan of Gulden Draak. I still have another bottle in the fridge, which I should drink sometime soon now that I read this review. The mouthfeel is definitely awesome...that was the first time I had ever drank a beer with that sort of texture. So good...

The brewery that makes Gulden Draak makes tons of other beers, including Corsendonk and Piraat, though I haven't tried the latter.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 AM

I think BevMo and my grocery store carries Piraat. I'll give that a shot sometime.

Wook,

nah.. I wouldn't call it a mistake. Racer 5 is more of a standard IPA. I'd probably go for the 90 on tap as well. You should definitely give it a shot at some point, though. Racer 5 is widely available on tap in SF, so that's nice when I'm out there. I actually haven't had it in a while. Maybe I'll pick one up in a couple weeks.

Like I mentioned, I had Bear Republic's Black Stout while enjoying the Sopranos tonight. Poured black (duh), almost no head. Nose was like a typical stout, but with some added sweetness. Black licorice for sure.

Taste was largely the same. Standard stout, with the roasted flavor of coffee, some caramel, but this had a sweet licorice finish. Frankly, I was a bit underwhelmed. A good beer for sure, but when it comes to stouts I'd much prefer something like Old Rasputin with just that deep roasted woody flavor and minimal sweetness. I give it 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s. It's probably a bit better than most 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] brews, but I really think something like Old Rasputin (my gold standard) or Sam Smith's is just that much better for the same value. I'd rather just buy some cheap Guiness (not badmouthing.. love Guiness) than pick this up again.

In other news, I've got "comp time" coming up after this week. I've got a whole week off that doesn't count against my vacation time. It's because we've been busting ass so hard for the past year. I'm thinking about checking out some of the northern california breweries. Not sure yet, because I've got no riding partner. But I'd definitely hit up Bear Republic and Anderson Valley. I suppose I could drive through Chico and check out Sierra Nevada as well. Or I'd get too drunk at the first brewery and pack it in. We'll see.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 AM

Tonight's review is Allagash's Four, which I believe is the last beer from Allagash that Beers of the World stocks. As you might guess from the name, this is their Quadruple. I paid $13.35 for a 750 mL bottle. Since this beer is fermented four times, it'd better be strong. The 10.0% ABV should do the trick.

I'm not really sure why this picture came out so much more washed out than any of my other beer pics. Oh well. At this point, I've just finished a 750 bottle of 10% beer. I can't say I'm in the mood to figure it out, but I can still post a competent review. The beer pours a reddish brown, a little lighter than the St. Bernardus Abt 12.

The scent of this beer is what I've come to expect from this style: malt, earth, and cherries. It seems a little milder, perhaps. The flavor is good, but, well, it doesn't make me wet my pants. The spice, earthiness, and overall complexity is toned down a bit from the St. Bernardus. It's a bit sweeter. It still lingers well, and the mild cherry flavor goes well w/ the slightly lighter malt. I'll give this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It's a good beer, no doubt, but the Boont Amber Ale is almost as flavorful, and for much less money. I paid $10.49 for a sixer of that, and it's 5.8% -- that sixer will get me drunker, and it's more neatly partitioned into single servings if I don't want to commit to a full 750. Consequently, I can't really recommend this beer. It's good, but it's too expensive compared to other good offerings. I'd rather pick up 2 11.2 oz bottles of the St. Bernardus (better flavor and less money) or even a sixer of the Boont (not quite as good, but still tasty, similar ballpark).
Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 PM

Guys,

I'd like to share with you how my beer cellar looked when I got home from work today

17 x Rochefort10
8 x Westvleteren12

R.I.P
Old 04-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Oh, man. That's extremely depressing.

On the brighter side, you stock a goodly number of beers I've never tried, or even recognize. Let's get some reviews!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
17 x Rochefort10

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
8 x Westvleteren12

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 AM

How the heck did you get that many Westvleteren's? And my condolences on your loss.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 AM

My condolences, but let this be a lesson. Hopefully you're planning on some new shelves. You can see the others that didn't break flexing in your pic.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How the heck did you get that many Westvleteren's? And my condolences on your loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought them whenever I got the chance the last 3-4 years. I managed to get 11, now I got 3 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]