Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

[ QUOTE ]
entertainme: your reviews are tl;dr. For an example of how to make your reviews more readable please see Dominic's review of the latest Pirates' movie. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now now.

Dr Zhivago is a glorious piece of cinema, one of the greats. One of Lean's finest, probably only second to Lawrence of Arabia.

Oh, and big grats on turning green, entertainme. Excellent.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 AM

Aye I need to see both The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth.

I wonder if Del Toro was influenced much by Spirit of the Beehive, a very good Spanish movie I was fortunate enough to encounter recently. This dealt with horror, death and imagination through the eyes of young girls.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aye I need to see both The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth.

I wonder if Del Toro was influenced much by Spirit of the Beehive, a very good Spanish movie I was fortunate enough to encounter recently. This dealt with horror, death and imagination through the eyes of young girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen Spirit of the Beehive, but I have heard people relating the movies before.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 AM

Knocked Up

For the most part, I found this to be a very funny movie, but as was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you are not already on the pregnancy track I doubt you would want to take a date to this movie.

Ocean's Thirteen

The first half of this movie almost put me to sleep, but the 2nd half made the movie worthwhile.

They could have done better on the Cougar though...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:30 AM

Just watched The Last Run IMDB - When a young accountant is devastated after discovering his inspiringly beautiful girlfriend is cheating on him, his best friend, who's engaged to a girl he doesn't love, convinces him to go on a "run" and sleep with as many women as he can to get over his heart break.

I thought this movie was hilarious, and it stars Fred Savage, a slew of hot actresses, and Steven Pasquale who plays the role of Fred Savages best friend and almost is "Stifler-esque," hes great.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 AM

rothko [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] v e n u s

dirty black waves between his toes
eroding the sands
castled

dirty blonde waves against his cheek
building the sands
castled

wash away . . . only to wash away
Old 06-15-2007, 04:42 AM

I recently saw three films on cable that I missed last year...

Night at The Museum - Eh. Okay kid flick, if a bit sappy and predictable. The director has obviously watched every Spielberg movie about a million times but unfortunately you can't ape talent.

Deja Vu - I'm a big fan of Tony Scott's last few pictures, especially Man on Fire, but this one stunk. Interesting premise but any time travel story has problems making sense and this one really messes up it's own logic. I like Denzel, Val Kilmer is wasted, and there was some nice touches in the end, but DEJA VU suffers from too many story problems.

Little Children - Wow, this one blew me away. While I admired Director Todd Field's first film, In the Bedroom, I didn't quite love it like everyone was telling me I ought to have. There was something missing - some dramatic through-line and emotion - it all seemed a little dry in the end. With Little Children however, Field fixes all that. This is an involving story and one that makes you ache for all the characters problems, flaws and dreams. Great ensemble led by Kate Winslet, and there are two child performances that are so naturalistic they had me amazed.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw The Squid and the Whale last night. I really liked it. Noah Baumbach wrote it and Wes Anderson produced it so it has that whole 'feel' to it, but was more heavy on drama then the movies Anderson has written.

Jeff Daniels was great in it, but for some reason I kept wondering how that role would have been with Bill Murray.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:13 PM

I just saw "Breach."

The lead actor was good as the bad guy. But not as good as he could have been. He seemed to have a disgruntled half-sneer about him constantly that made the movie feel like it was revealing itself too clearly from the beginning. You know going in that he's a traitor, of course, but there's little chance to suspend disbelief and just play along with the story for story's sake if he LOOKS like a traitor. They should have given him a long black moustache so he could twirl the ends of it.

Despite that perpetual look of sitting in an unchanged adult diaper, his acting was still good otherwise. And there was some nice tension where the young protagonist, his assistant, was presented with the opportunity to smooth some things over with his wife by telling her his secrets and really screwing things up.

Nevertheless, there were parts with his wife that felt forced. Every movie has to include some sort of love-interest thing even if it really has zero to do with that, so you expect to see these things awkwardly interjected -- so much so that it becomes easy to brush off the stumbling as if it didn't really detract from the flick. We've come to accept a certain lousiness in our movies without comment.

So I guess my feelings about the movie are a lot like what I've written above. Interesting enough story, but with some clumsiness in the acting and narrative. Didn't fit together as a whole as well as I had hoped. Would I recommend it? It's decent. I suppose I would, but I wish I could recommend it more highly. I think another director might have been able to take the same material and make it much more seamless and driving.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:16 PM

I saw 300 at the dollar theater last night. The movie is very ridiculous and over the top. It is certainly enjoyable, but not because of awesome action, it is enjoyable because the exaggeration is incredibly funny.

I went to the movie expecting ridiculousness (which is why I only paid $1) and that's what I got. It was a fun time.
Closed Thread