Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: *** ALDS Game 2: Yankees vs. Indians (Pettite/Carmona)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they may be a good team, but they are not a good playoff built team, and in the end, thats what matters right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't. I think we're talking about who would win the most if we played 100,000 games using these rosters.

EDIT: Also, it's not that they aren't built for the playoffs, but a strong offense tends to have a higher standard deviation than strong pitching in a short series.

[/ QUOTE ]

100,000 games? So in essence, the opinion that the Yankees are the best team in baseball is not based in reality? Honest question.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with actual reality, more of projecting things over a massive sample where flukes basically disappear (much like playing a billion hands of poker). A 162 game sample is okay, but you will still find a lot of flukes that would just disappear over a larger sample. Think Aaron Small.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they may be a good team, but they are not a good playoff built team, and in the end, thats what matters right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't. I think we're talking about who would win the most if we played 100,000 games using these rosters.

EDIT: Also, it's not that they aren't built for the playoffs, but a strong offense tends to have a higher standard deviation than strong pitching in a short series.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the point in talking about that though, seeing how no one team will ever play that many games

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we're talking about the best team, not the winningest team over a 162 game sample.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the point in talking about that though, seeing how no one team will ever play that many games

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like saying at a final table JTs is better than AKs.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:14 AM

FYP

[ QUOTE ]

oh god bugs i cannot help but throw 10 fastballs to the screen

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

c). How the [censored] would you know? This seems like an awfully big assumption to me. I mean it's not like my ENTIRE family is from Winchester, Boston, Plymouth, Worcester,etc. Nah, my uncle didn't coach Harvard and MIT hockey (granted it was womens)...he was even at the Bobby Orr game, and knew everyone who played for BU including Chris Drury. It's not like my grandfather played baseball for Harvard, was signed by the Red Sox, and later got a law degree from Harvard right? Yeah, I'm just some bandwagon fan sporting my "[censored] the Yankees" t-shirt, who hates the Yankees more than I love the Red Sox. I hate the Yankees, but until right now, the very best moments of my life were the day I earned the title of a United States Marine, and the night the Red Sox won the World Series.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all may be true, but there are still plenty of fans, even Red Sox fans who think it's the cool thing to do to hate on the Yankees and take more pleasure in them losing than their team winning, and you havn't really said anything to disprove that.(Not saying you are one of those guys, just that all your supporting evidence doesn't really disprove it) These types of fans brag about how their teams don't buy championships etc. etc. and typically have no clue about baseball in general, but are just caught up in the hype of anti Yankees.

Also, :

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I will certainly agree with you your first two points. But regarding the second... yea I'll admit I only really showup on 2p2 when the Yankees lose, because most of the time when the Sox win I'm out getting drunk with my brother or cousins if I'm in Mass. I haven't done much to disprove it, you're absolutely right, but let me assure you, the Sox winning makes me much happier than the Yanks losing.

Good pickup by the Rangers, Drury is money. My uncle went to his Stanley Cup party and brought home several bottles of Cristal (apparently the Cris was flowing that night). Speaking of Lord Stanley's Cup, my Dad (who's worked for the Capitals for about 26 years) told me about Claude Lemieux after they won it. For those who don't know, each player gets to spend a day with the Cup however they want, some go fishing with it, blah blah blah. Claude decided to get completely [censored] faced and take a dump in it. True story.

If any 2p2ers are in the DC area and are interested in checking out the Caps (gonna be soolllidddd this year) then just shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with a couple tix. Vhawk we should go some time
Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 AM

i just think we are putting too much emphasis on numbers and stats and stuff, cmon baseball is different than poker people
Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just think we are putting too much emphasis on numbers and stats and stuff, cmon baseball is different than poker people

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 AM

so, for game 3 westbrook vs clemens

http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/las-vegas/

+180 clev
-210 NY

if the game was played 100 times, how many times would cleveland win?

33?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I know its fun to look at numbers and stuff when talking baseball, but when it comes down to hit, none of that matters. "That's why they play the games."

People don't look back and say ,"well we had the best team so in the long run , we win"
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 AM

Line is a bit skewed because everybody loves to bet on the Yankees.

Yanks are somewhere between 55-60% favorites.