Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Prs to be making me less broke? Financial Follies

I dont know if anyone said this because I did not want to read all 50+ pages but if you are a history major why don't you look into becoming a teacher? Even if worked as a substitute teacher it would allow you to still wait tables on the side if you chose too and when you got called in to work you would be paid something like $100/day which is not bad and at least allows you to build up a resume. I really think you should pursue this.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something just occurred to me.

All you sanctimonious [censored] with your 'journey is the reward' and 'working and being productive' and sacredness of labor, blah blah blah blah blah?

What are YOU guys doing?

Could it be cushy office jobs where you have all the time in the world to sit around and chat on 2+2?

OH MY IT JUST MIGHT.

I work harder in one temp shift at a factory than most of you [censored] do all week. But those people are lazy, really, and that's why they don't get ahead, LOL.

Sorry, trying to turn over this new positive leaf, but I just had to get that off me chest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never spent a minute in college and I don't read and use long boring words regularly.

I've also never made less then 35k in a year (right out of highschool) and with the exception of one year, which was semi-by choice, I have never been out of work or without a job offer for more them 2 weeks.

Why?

Because I don't spend my time feeling sorry for myself and blaming others for my own mistakes.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM

And somebody obv. gave you a 35K job right out of high school just 'cause you knew 'em, and after that you never looked back.

Whole story pls! Nobody gets 35K jobs out of high school in 198... whatever just because they look like a good hard worker.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Something just occurred to me.

All you sanctimonious [censored] with your 'journey is the reward' and 'working and being productive' and sacredness of labor, blah blah blah blah blah?

What are YOU guys doing?

Could it be cushy office jobs where you have all the time in the world to sit around and chat on 2+2?

OH MY IT JUST MIGHT.

I work harder in one temp shift at a factory than most of you [censored] do all week. But those people are lazy, really, and that's why they don't get ahead, LOL.

Sorry, trying to turn over this new positive leaf, but I just had to get that off me chest.

[/ QUOTE ]

anacardo,

how do you think they got these jobs? Were they divinely blessed with The Gift of Employment? Frankly, much more sanctimony has been coming from your end - basically claiming that work is for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

They got those jobs for a lot of reasons, and 'hard work + good character' is a long way from the whole story.

Sanctimony? You can't be sanctimonious about being [censored] lazy. Work is for people who are better adjusted than me. One of these days I might really figure out how to be one of these 'in love with labor' types, for real no fakesies, and that's gonna be a pretty sweet day if it ever comes. But this would be a much better conversation all around if about half of you would just come down off your [censored] high horses.

[/ QUOTE ]

cardo,

then it's not even worth having this discussion at all. Look, the reason why I've been rather relentless is because I see myself in all your arguments. I haven't worked for 18 months and I haven't worked much at all in my life. I lucked into poker and did fantastically last year - better than I ever could've dreamt. Still, I don't feel like playing poker anymore as a living and haven't played a hand online in almost 6 months - it's not healthy for the soul, and not a lifetime solution for all but the truly great/committed players. I want to get out there and find a career - not just some sort of stopgap. I think it's perfectly okay to be young and to commit yourself to your passions rather than employment, but eventually there comes a point where that's just not going to be tenable - where you'll be working a [censored] job at 30 and being the same person you were at 25, in extended and pathetic adolescence.

I don't have any solutions - I have the same problem. That's why I suggested Pascal - he suggests that most of the things we do in our lives that we consider valuable, all of these petty desires are simply vain and empty. Sure, it was great to wake up at noon, play poker, read Dostoyevsky, watch a part of the Decalogue, then play some more hands - it feels terrific to be smarter than other people and prove it on the CGI felt, but it's not something that can ever be truly satisfying once you reach a certain age or maturity.

PS - don't listen to Thinman. He has no idea how a person like you is wired other than simple platitudes.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 PM

I knew plenty of people that managed to do that, or better. Most of them did so by working towards it in high school. A smaller percentage just by family connections.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And somebody obv. gave you a 35K job right out of high school just 'cause you knew 'em, and after that you never looked back.

Whole story pls! Nobody gets 35K jobs out of high school in 198... whatever just because they look like a good hard worker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, hard work is worthless.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I own my own factory. I can read and post on forums more or less whenever I feel like it. I can work more or less whenever I feel like it.

I didn't start here though. I started off flunking out of college and hustling insurance door to door in virtually every rural trailer park in southwest Virginia.

Somewhere along the line, I figured out that the only way to do what I wanted to do was to work my ass off at jobs that I didn't want to do and take full advantage of any opportunity that came along, no matter how small.

If you want to be less broke, just do the same. Find a job, any job really, and try to be the absolute best at it during the hours you are working it. Its not like it costs you anything - you've already got to be there anyway.

Eventually, you'll learn more valuable skills or see a crack of an opportunity and be able to exploit it - getting you one step closer to what you want.

In seriousness, the Home Depot type job someone mentioned earlier sounded like a great fit. You claim to have good casual conversationalist skills, be intelligent and dislike sales. The folks at Home Depot aren't really sales people - they aren't trying to push stuff down your throat - they are just there to help customers figure out what they need and then help locate it.

Lots of opportunity to meet a cross section of society and engage them in conversation. You learn about some topics you probably don't know much about and you'll meet a lot of people. Some combination of skills and/or people that you meet while trying to become the best Home Depot floor person ever might lead to something interesting.

And, the best part, you put in your 40 every week, get a paycheck, and don't have to take the job home with you.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE THIS TIME TO ADDRESS / OBJECT TO MY POINT, SIR?

You know what I did in high school? Worked in a grocery store. Absolutely nothing came of it. I quit and went to school like everyone else.

I've reflected on things like this lately and come to the conclusion that somehow, some way, I'm not informing myself well enough w re: to all the available opportunities. So then I POSTED A THREAD IN OOT TO SEE IF I COULD HEAR ABOUT WHAT I WAS MISSING.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. You don't believe that hard work is worthwhile. I'm agreeing with you. It's what you want -- you should be happy.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. You don't believe that hard work is worthwhile. I'm agreeing with you. It's what you want -- you should be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG you are stupid.

just thought someone who isn't cardo needed to say that.