Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Chris Benoit and Wife found dead

[ QUOTE ]
Something needs to be done about pro wrestling.

Being on the road for 300+ days a year away from family, while being hurt and using pills is a deady combination.

Pro wrestling needs seasons like in pro sports or at least give their wrestlers more time off than they are getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. These guys have little say in their schedules. The travel and in ring abuse is murder on their minds and bodies. So they turn to painkillers, muscle relaxers, alcohol, and illegal drugs.

In this documentary: 101 reasons not to be a pro wrestler the wrestlers talk about how every attempt to unionize has been crushed by the promoters. Guys like Vince McMahon just use these people up and then discards them when he no longer has any use for them.

He encourages them to do roids, I dont give a damn about whatever phony "Wellness Policy" he claims to have. He got lucky the first time the feds went after him for roids. It's obvious most of the wrestlers do them. Remember the "liver enzyme imbalances" that Lashley, Khali, and some else had a few months back? Yea because they took legit roid tests and failed. Guess what happened then, not another mention of the Wellness Policy after that and everybody looking as jacked as ever.

And I am disgusted by the WWe statement of "sensationalising media reports". That is so obviously spin control written by lawyers and ironic as hell considering their business is all about sensationalism.[/rant]

I'm not trying to defend Benoit. He obviously went insane and is a murdering scumbag.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:36 PM

Borgland, you have to admit, a lot of the reporting coming out immediately was at least marginally irresponsible, if not entirely inaccurate in the end.

I also have to say, "the business" is one that these people enter into entirely voluntarily. Benoit referred to wrestling as "my mistress, my passion". Nobody is MAKING them go 300 days on the road out of a given year, they choose to do so. Now, being able to unionize, I won't argue that one as I don't know anything about it, but that's a different story entirely.

And once again, steroids played no obvious role in this murder. Police said it themselves, nothing in that house wasn't prescribed. Nutcase or scumbag, call him what you choose, and I'm not going to defend him after the evidence is out, but now that we have evidence, we can at least be honest about what went down.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 PM

For everyone that keeps talking about Benoit not testing positive for steroids needs to remember that there is no way of testing for HGH. Just because his test results came back negative doesn't mean he wasn't using some form of "steroid."
Old 06-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Cliff notes, please! Too long thread. That dude killed his son, and people are doing tributes and stuff?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For everyone that keeps talking about Benoit not testing positive for steroids needs to remember that there is no way of testing for HGH. Just because his test results came back negative doesn't mean he wasn't using some form of "steroid."

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not be as up on HGH, but I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been a connection between HGH and increased aggressiveness or, you know, murder.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff notes, please! Too long thread. That dude killed his son, and people are doing tributes and stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire thread, overall, is a very good read.

As details came out, people have killed the tributes. McMahon basically cut all ties between WWE and Benoit tonight in a statement before ECW and the website has a timeline of events as far as what WWE knew and when.

The guy was a great wrestler and nobody (at least the people who weren't being stupid trolls - I'm looking at you Praetorian) wanted to believe a guy who was universally respected and was thought to be well-liked could snap and kill his family. The evidence thus far says he did.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 PM

http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publis...le_20656.shtml

More news, Benoit's son had "Fragile X" syndrome.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well known wrestler apparently murdered his wife and child over a weekend than topped himself on the Monday, that's basically it although it obviously wasn't initially clear how the family died hence tributes and mixed messages. Pretty tragic, and as a former fan of WWF/WWE pretty suprising and sad to learn that about Benoit.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publis...le_20656.shtml

More news, Benoit's son had "Fragile X" syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

People should read this link.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borgland, you have to admit, a lot of the reporting coming out immediately was at least marginally irresponsible, if not entirely inaccurate in the end.

I also have to say, "the business" is one that these people enter into entirely voluntarily. Benoit referred to wrestling as "my mistress, my passion". Nobody is MAKING them go 300 days on the road out of a given year, they choose to do so. Now, being able to unionize, I won't argue that one as I don't know anything about it, but that's a different story entirely.

And once again, steroids played no obvious role in this murder. Police said it themselves, nothing in that house wasn't prescribed. Nutcase or scumbag, call him what you choose, and I'm not going to defend him after the evidence is out, but now that we have evidence, we can at least be honest about what went down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do agree some of the media reporting has ben irresponsible. No doubting that.

I figured someone would bring up the agrument that no one is making these guys be wrestlers. That is true, but:

They would be, and have been, fired if they couldnt or wouldnt follow the schedule dictated by the promoter.

Even wrestlers have a right to safe work conditions. They also have the right to be wrestlers if that's what they want to be(for some that's all they can do). It's a inherently dangerous job but the brutal travel schedule makes it worse.

I wasnt trying to blame steroids for the murders/suicide. I dont even know if Benoit used them but wouldnt be surprised if he did. The police did find some in his home. It's a fact that steroids damage the body and can kill you was my point. That and McMahon is scum for encouraging and alledgedly providing them.