Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that caused me to laugh out loud so often, so loud and so long as Man Bites Dog

The moment Ben opens his mouth and starts talking is the moment I began to laugh. Another movie I should have seen a long time ago... but there are just so many movies to see.

Comedy is an idiosyncratic genre. You can't really explain it or define it. You find things funny or you don't. This one for me was as about as good as it gets.

I'm sure someone here hasn't yet seen it so I don't want to give away any jokes at all. Spoiler in white. <font color="white">When they went right to the edge with that group rape/murder scene my jaw went slack and I stopped laughing. As I viewed the remains of the couple my mind was racing with thoughts of where the [censored] the makers of this had gone; was it all a joke on me to see how far I would go in laughing at this [censored] or what? Then they showed the business as usual scene with a hungover Ben dumping the bodies into the ravine like it was just another day at the office and I roared again. I can't explain it. I just found it funny as hell. </font>
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 AM

The Transporter 2

This was hellish good fun. A pure action film start to end, for some reason it reminded me of commando in that the hero is out to rescue a kid he's sort of responsible for (initially).

It was very dumb, but the bad guys were bad guys, the good guy was cool as ice, and if there was a simple solution or a spectavularly ridic way to solve the problem, they always take the latter, bless them. Example? Hero becomes aware there's a bomb attached to the bottom of his car. But he's in pursuit. Does he stop and remove it? Nah. He does a twisting jump in the car towards a crane, and does it such the hanging crane attaches to the bomb as he goes past, and it explodes as he lands. And you got to love the female hottie badass who strides around in saucy underwear firing two machine guns.

Definitely one to watch with the guys, a little drunk.

And I hope they make Transporter 3.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM

I recently watched a movie I've had sitting around from Netflix for over a week. I have no idea why/how (was it for film club?) it got on my queue (much less the top) but it sounded ok so I watched it after Sopranos on Sunday night.

Anyway, it was an Indian movie called Water.

It was focused on a young girl (like 7?) who was widowed and sent to live in a house of widows. Apparently in the widows in India are/were shunned (partially do to Hindu beliefs). While this story takes place in 1938, it is apparently still somewhat of a problem.

Anyway, once Chuyia is befriended by a beautiful younger widow named Kalyani whose prostitution appears to be the main source of income for the whole house.

Here is Chuyia and Kalyani bathing Kalyani's puppy:

Anyway, if this was a film club film then many of you have now probably seen it and if it wasn't then I've written enough to get the gist. 3/5 stars.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM

Why only 3 out of 5?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why only 3 out of 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably give too many movies 3 stars. This one could have been 3.5 maybe.

I didn't like how Kalyani's storyline played out. There was also something about the way the movie was put together that didn't sit right with me. It didn't flow well or something.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man Bites Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

That movie is incredibly good. The sick and perverted version of Spinal Tap, but yet still funny, fresh and original.
Awesome movie, would like to watch it again.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM

50 First Dates

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore's romantic comedy.

The concept of having to convince a woman to love you from scratch, every day, is really interesting. There is also a strong family concept in this film, and plenty of BBV type silliness.

I found this film an interesting diversion and Drew was pretty hot in some of the scenes too.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM

So do you think Drew Barrymore is a good actress? I can't decide.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Knocked Up
Heard positive things about this movie, saw it got good reviews. Went to see it with my girlfriend last night. Ugh. I liked about 1/4 of the movie and that was at the end. Ropert called it a mix of "Old School" and "She's Having a Baby". Some critics are calling it a "date movie" (which is what it was last night) but bewarned this is a terrible idea for a first date movie (just drop your date off at home with a kiss on the cheek because that's all you will feel like doing) especially after the birth scene. For me the jokes were bad, the timing of the movie was off. My girlfriend did like it, but I was pretty bored. There is very much a real world aspect to it that some movies just lack. People talk like real people would. If you want to see Ryan Seacrest swear up a storm, here is your chance. The level of swearing in this film is quite high. I think it deserves 1.5 stars instead of 3 that it received.

Quick hits (I've been watching a lot of movies lately):
We Were Soldiers - A war masterpiece. Very powerful.

Godzilla: Final Wars - This movie is a combination of the Matrix, saturday cartoons, video games, John Woo, all rolled into one. Enjoyable to fans of the series will enjoy this send off for the monster radioactive lizard. I know I did.

Shakespeare In Love - Better everytime I see it. The movie's jokes are my favorite part.

300 - Everytime I watch this film I have the strongest desire to work out. Very violent, very gory, very outrageous. Love every second of it. Can't wait till it comes out on DVD.

Love Actually - Good film, great for couples to watch. My favorite couple is the one who met at work on the "film set". Very humorous. Must see.

The Fugitive- Finally got to see this classic. Trainwreck scene was amazing, you need to realize that there were little to no computer special effects at that time. I can see why Tommy Lee had the spinoff "US Marshalls".

Gojira - The original Japanese Godzilla movie. It was alright, I need to pop in the American version to see how it compares.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 &amp; 2 - My favorite Tarantino movies. I like V2 a smidge above V1. A great tale of "bloody revenge".

Equilibrium - Christian Bale is excellent in this 1984/Matrix-esque film. Maybe a little cheese here and there but the action scenes are great, fast, and violent.

The Prestige - I would love to devote and actual response about this one so I will hold back. A great film that twists and weaves and leaves you guessing till the end (even when you aren't supposed to).

Twister - Love this film. It's a little sad now because we've had some tornadoes rip through my area and destroy some towns.

That's it for now.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 PM

I watched Deliver Us From Evil a couple of days ago. It is a great documentary about a notorious pedophile Catholic priest. I highly recommend it.
Closed Thread