Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: What was the Sopranos about?

The tease: David Chase speaks!
Posted by Alan Sepinwall June 11, 2007 8:32PM
Categories: The Sopranos
http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/06/the...se_speaks.html
So you heard that David Chase is hanging out in France, refusing to talk about the finale? The first part's definitely true, the second part semi-true. I spoke with Chase earlier today, as we had agreed to months ago -- before he made his decision to go into radio silence after the finale -- and while he refused to outright explain what he was doing in the final scene, he did explain what he wasn't trying to do.

"I have no interest in explaining, defending, reinterpreting, or adding to what is there," he says of the final scene.

"No one was trying to be audacious, honest to god," he adds. "We did what we thought we had to do. No one was trying to blow people's minds, or thinking, 'Wow, this'll (tick) them off.' People get the impression that you're trying to (mess) with them and it's not true. You're trying to entertain them."

The rest of the lengthy interview will be in tomorrow's paper, and also here on the Sopranos blog.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Surprised that so many people think that Meadow actually believes that Tony was being harassed. I thought that line was her way of saying that if Tony thinks that Meadow becoming a lawyer is a "bad thing" then that's his fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure you are wrong. In the past Meadow really has been outraged at the way Tony has been treated. I think the most obvious scene was at Johnny Sac's wedding but there are other examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching it again I think that while she does believe it, she was just playing her dad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. One of the running themes is the naivity of the family, and how they're willing to turn a blind eye when it suits them

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she is the least naive but I do agree that she believes that her father has been mistreated. I still think that line was just her playing her dad though.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 PM

I think the ending was great. Such a heart pounding scene. My take is that Tony lives but it's open for interpretation (kind of). Essentially, from the first shot of the pilot episode with Tony in the waiting room in Melfi's office until the camera cuts to black in the finale, David Chase and Co. are in charge of writing/creating the lives of Tony and everyone else. The moment the camera shuts off, Chase is just as done writing the show as we are done watching it. Who's he to say what happens after the finale, it hasn't happened yet! (In the world of the Sopranos so to speak) If I were to run into Chase on the street and ask him, "What will A.J. be doing in 10 years?" He'd probably say something like, "Well, I guess he's headed in the direction of being in the movie business, but who really knows?" If I asked him what happened to Tony, he'd probably start by saying, "Well I'd like to think that Tony lives happily ever after," or, "I'd like to think that Tony goes to jail and pays for being a criminal," or whatever. But he can't "know" either way. How are mine or your educated guesses about the future in the world of the Sopranos any more or less valid than Chase's?

That's why I think there's no reason to believe Tony would be killed. After Phil was killed, there was what, 10-15 minutes left in the episode? What were the chances that Tony gets killed at that point? There's 2 numbers to consider: what the viewer thinks and the actual chance in Tony Soprano World. Me personally, dnh83, at 9:45 ET watching the show, thought there was about a 25% chance of him dying. That's obviously because I know there are 15 minutes left in the series. But in Tony Soprano World, it's just another day. In fact, since Phil is dead and peace has been made with NY, Tony is much more likely to make it through this day than he had for the previous week or so. He's made it 47 years so far right? If you look at it from Tony's perspective, there has been NOTHING that would indicate you're in any sort of danger in that diner. So you saw some trucker, 2 black guys, and some other dude walking to the bathroom. Big deal. Tony deals with scarier people who are murderers every day of his life. Of course I give all the credit to Chase for directing the scene the way he did with the ominous looking cuts to everyone, Meadow screwing up the parking, the music, it all just added to the tension. That's what made it so brilliant, that he could scare the [censored] out of us when there's really no logical reason to be scared. Probably moreso even than some sort of "bigger" ending. So yeah, I think Tony lives, although if he doesn't hold off on the onion rings and gabagool he's gonna have a heart attack real soon.

I really liked the Made in America themes and how they tied in with each of the 4 members of the Soprano family. AJ being bought so easily by Tony and Carmela and then rationalizing the BMW. Carmela and Tony's looks when Patrick Parisi said Meadow could make 170k. They went from disappointed to approving just like that. Carmela always said she never cared about all of Tony's money and gifts, and yet EVERY SINGLE TIME Tony ever got her anything she'd get that look, say "Ooooh my God, Tony! It's beautiful!"

I feel like the last 5 episodes have been the best 5 episode run in the show's history. NH Chase.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Surprised that so many people think that Meadow actually believes that Tony was being harassed. I thought that line was her way of saying that if Tony thinks that Meadow becoming a lawyer is a "bad thing" then that's his fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure you are wrong. In the past Meadow really has been outraged at the way Tony has been treated. I think the most obvious scene was at Johnny Sac's wedding but there are other examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching it again I think that while she does believe it, she was just playing her dad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. One of the running themes is the naivity of the family, and how they're willing to turn a blind eye when it suits them

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she is the least naive but I do agree that she believes that her father has been mistreated. I still think that line was just her playing her dad though.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHE definintely thinks Tony was mistreated - becasue he's Italian. I think she is totally naive about the kind of life Tony has lead. (Also in that scene, Tony starts to kind of correct her about Italians, but she interrupts him.)
Old 06-11-2007, 10:17 PM

ok watched the end again.

Meadow is driving the lexus that had all the ads about it parking itself.

When Tony walks into the diner, there is a very odd cut- its as if he is looking at the scene and suddenly the perspective is that he is already sitting there.

I agree very much with the comment that the onion rings look like communion, but i have no idea why.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree very much with the comment that the onion rings look like communion, but i have no idea why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last Supper I guess, helps if you're a "he's dead" type of guy.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... Could it be possible that they're just eating onion rings? Sometimes a spade is just a spade, no?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When Tony walks into the diner, there is a very odd cut- its as if he is looking at the scene and suddenly the perspective is that he is already sitting there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just a jump cut. There's another one in the earlier scene when he goes to visit Junior. We see Tony walk in, cut to a shot from his perspective as he scopes out the place for a seat, cut to another shot of him as he makes up his mind, and then cut to him in the seat he has chosen. A few people have mentioned this, but I really believe it's this innocuous.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... Could it be possible that they're just eating onion rings? Sometimes a spade is just a spade, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I didn't notice anything with the onion rings. But I was just commenting on what it would be if you take the position that it's DEFINITELY a Communion allusion.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I didn't notice anything with the onion rings. But I was just commenting on what it would be if you take the position that it's DEFINITELY a Communion allusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, understood.