Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: FLORIDA ALLOWING POKER GAME STAKES TO BE RAISED IN JULY!

Don't get over confident. The state has an abundance of very good players.

Stay focused

-FH-
Old 06-18-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well they better not try having PL Omaha because Omaha doesn't fall under the law. The state will shut them down real quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Limit Hold'em isn't mentioned in the law either

[/ QUOTE ]

The law says; However, a cardroom operator may conduct games
of Texas Hold-em without a betting limit if the required
player buy-in is no more than $100.

Omaha is not listed anywher in that sentence.

And let me remind you folks that $100 is the required buy in, not the maximum.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stay focused

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who has played any private, underground, or home game knows this, or they are in for a rude awakening.

The better players stay away from the dog tracks because of the ridiculous rake. They play once in a blue moon. (I only go on date night when we get a sitter.)

These fish are going to last 2-4 weeks, tops, until they start clamoring for 1-2 limit again.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stay focused

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who has played any private, underground, or home game knows this, or they are in for a rude awakening.

The better players stay away from the dog tracks because of the ridiculous rake. They play once in a blue moon. (I only go on date night when we get a sitter.)

These fish are going to last 2-4 weeks, tops, until they start clamoring for 1-2 limit again.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah they go to home games where the rake is even more ridiculous up to $10 per hand and sometimes these games are over raked.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stay focused

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of these "underground" people. The people who play in "charity" events at country clubs and bars. They don't scare me. Some of them might be decent, but I've played with enough regulars in and out of the card rooms to know that I'm ahead of them skillwise in the NL cash game. As a winning player online and live, I'm not worried. YMMV.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 PM

I know some of the folks you speak of, and you are totally right. But those are not the same people. Those are not the same people you should worry about.

For example, I play in a home game (no rake) that is a $100NLH tourney followed by a 1-2 NL dealers choice cash game. There are some average players and there are between 2 and 4 pro level players. All the fish quit playing the game. The fish all play in those cheesy charity games and bar games.

I also know of the underground games where they charge a $5 rake and $10 when the pot exceeds a certain amount, $300 I think. There are more than a few solid players in there too.

More than a few players that presently avoid the tracks because of the gripes raised in this thread will try the games now, and they will clean up. They are guys with really good jobs that would otherwise be pros, they are online sharps, they are casual but solid players -- and they are all looking forward to the same thing that you are.

Fortunately though, they are NOT outsiders. The price of poker is still too expensive to attract fresh blood. And this may be the only good thing about the new law -- that the true poker pro (and the baggage that comes with) will not be coming to FL this year.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some of the folks you speak of, and you are totally right. But those are not the same people. Those are not the same people you should worry about.

For example, I play in a home game (no rake) that is a $100NLH tourney followed by a 1-2 NL dealers choice cash game. There are some average players and there are between 2 and 4 pro level players. All the fish quit playing the game. The fish all play in those cheesy charity games and bar games.

I also know of the underground games where they charge a $5 rake and $10 when the pot exceeds a certain amount, $300 I think. There are more than a few solid players in there too.

More than a few players that presently avoid the tracks because of the gripes raised in this thread will try the games now, and they will clean up. They are guys with really good jobs that would otherwise be pros, they are online sharps, they are casual but solid players -- and they are all looking forward to the same thing that you are.

Fortunately though, they are NOT outsiders. The price of poker is still too expensive to attract fresh blood. And this may be the only good thing about the new law -- that the true poker pro (and the baggage that comes with) will not be coming to FL this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the Greater Tampa Area Strippers Union should be lobbying for high stakes poker.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes raising to 25 with aa just to win that incredible 3 dollars in blinds. yes thats great poker playing there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee that this will be a play that's got an EV of at least $40.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 PM

many florida dog track players are bad but most are not bad enough to call 25% of their stack without at least ak. might be different if two bis stacks are involved. but that one hand illustrates the problem with a 100 dollar buy-in with 1-2 blinds.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
many florida dog track players are bad but most are not bad enough to call 25% of their stack without at least ak. might be different if two bis stacks are involved. but that one hand illustrates the problem with a 100 dollar buy-in with 1-2 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You underestimate the stupidity of the average Florida player. They call in this spot 1) because you bet too much. 2) because they won the last hand. 3) because they're soooootid!

I regularly open for $10 in a .50/$1 blind game and get plenty of action.