Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Re: ~~~Unofficial Baseball Offseason Thread~~~

[ QUOTE ]
Way to stab your hometown in the back Andy. Tell me, how much money is enough? I hope the Astros meet the Yanks in the WS and kick your ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! You owe to all us complete strangers who live where you grew up! What kind of degenerate accepts something trivial like millions of dollars to turn his back on people he doesn't know that who generally don't have a clue about what he does but insists that he does it in Houston!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:27 PM

How bout the Astros paying him to sit on the bench with his bum elbow for most of the 2004 season? He got alot of money for giving us almost nothing that year.

He got a more than fair offer from the Stros. Considering how inconsistent he was last year he actually only deserves about 9 million.

If you're all about the money then fine, say so. But don't posture and try to make yourself out to be a civic minded, hometown type player, and then jump ship to go to the highest bidder.

Berkman could have made alot more on the open market than the Astros could have paid him, but went ahead and re-upped for 5 years. That's loyalty. That's the difference between a real hometown player and a mercenary.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:34 PM

If I was Andy Pettite and they just signed a player like Carlos Lee to 6 years 100 Million you're damn right I'd expect a better offer.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How bout the Astros paying him to sit on the bench with his bum elbow for most of the 2004 season? He got alot of money for giving us almost nothing that year.

He got a more than fair offer from the Stros. Considering how inconsistent he was last year he actually only deserves about 9 million.

If you're all about the money then fine, say so. But don't posture and try to make yourself out to be a civic minded, hometown type player, and then jump ship to go to the highest bidder.

Berkman could have made alot more on the open market than the Astros could have paid him, but went ahead and re-upped for 5 years. That's loyalty. That's the difference between a real hometown player and a mercenary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps he feels loyalty to the Yankees for bringing him up and wants to end his career there? He probably could have gone either way, and the money was the ultimate decider.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were Pettitte you would have given the money back, right?

[ QUOTE ]
He got a more than fair offer from the Stros.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair equals $1 higher than the second highest bid. That's how markets work.

[ QUOTE ]
Considering how inconsistent he was last year he actually only deserves about 9 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...you wanted him to sign with the Astros for more than $9M? Yes? No? Huh?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He likes playing for the Yankees and the Astros. How is leaving at the end of your contract "jumping ship"?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Berkman's utility curve does not equal Pettitte's utility curve. This doesn't make Pettitte a bad person.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How quickly they forget. He gave up money to sign with the 'Stros in the first place.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:06 PM

Apparently if the Astros went to 14m, Pettitte would have signed with them, despite the fact it was less than what the Yankees were offering. So Astros could have had him for 2m more.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently if the Astros went to 14m, Pettitte would have signed with them, despite the fact it was less than what the Yankees were offering. So Astros could have had him for 2m more.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is wrong. The sticking point was that Pettitte wanted a player option for a second year at 14 million in addition to the first year at 14 million, which the Astros were reluctant to do. I probably would have given it to him, but it's not my money.

What a hypocrite though. All winter long Pettitte's been saying how serious he is about wanting to retire and stay at home. Then he turns around, decides he wants to play, and wants a two year committment?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is wrong. The sticking point was that Pettitte wanted a player option for a second year at 14 million in addition to the first year at 14 million, which the Astros were reluctant to do. I probably would have given it to him, but it's not my money.

What a hypocrite though. All winter long Pettitte's been saying how serious he is about wanting to retire and stay at home. Then he turns around, decides he wants to play, and wants a two year committment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you weren't too upset when Roger signed with the 'Stros.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think what he said makes him a hypocrite; based on what I saw, he said he was considering retirement as well as going to the NYY or HOU all the while.

However, their is a non-zero chance he was using this retirement idea as a ploy to drive up his price.

As any economist can tell you, when their are few buyers (or sellers) they can influence the price more than when their are many. Pettite and Clemens reduced the number of possible buyers by limiting the ammount of teams they would consider going to, and hence may be countering this by threatening retirement, driving the price back up.