Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: What\'d You Shoot Today? (Golf BBV Thread)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Organized a golf weekend with 14 guys for this past weekend. From Thursday 7am to Sunday 9pm, total of 12 hours sleep! Waaaaay too much!!!

Friday AM, Okemo white tees - 83
Friday PM, Okemo green tees - 87
Saturday, Rutland blue tees - 89
Sunday, Green Mountain National blue tees - 82

Handicap lowered to 10.5. Come On Single Digits!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What'd you guys do other than play golf? There's not a ton going on in Rutland.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
We got to the house (on Killington) at about 7pm Thursday night. Went out for some wings, then just played poker and drank beer until 2am.
Our first time at Okemo was 9am, second was 2:30. Didn't get back to the house until around 8. Ordered a half dozen pizzas, and played cards as late as we could. Only a few of us made it to 3am.
Played Rutland on Saturday at 1pm. Gave most of the guys plenty of recovery time. I woke at the first smell of bacon and coffee.
Some guys went out boozin Saturday night (Outback on K'ton rd), some stayed in for more poker.
Teed off at GMN on Sunday at 10am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I'd like to get back to play Green Mountain National some day.

Hope you guys had good weather.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
I was in the first of our group tee times on Saturday. As we were walking off 18 they blew the horn.
A storm hit us so fast, the 4 behind us didn't even have time to putt out their approach shots.

Tornado warning & 70 mph winds. We saw 3 trees split & drop. Bar turned to cash only as the power went out. Wind emptied one of the greenside bunkers on 18, sick sick sick.
Was gone within 30 minutes, beautiful weather after it passed.

One detour on 4 due to downed tree across the road, 2 housed with trees on them, just an insane half hour.
Honestly can say one of the top 3 storms I've ever seen. Good thing we had time to get into the bar! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM

That story brings back some memories for me. The most frightening 20 minutes I've ever experienced was being caught on the Mt. Snow golf course in a thunderstorm. Jesus Christ I thought we were going to die, I could swear the lighting was right in front of me. We should never have been out there, and to this day the minute there is a crack of thunder or a hint of lightning, no matter how far away, I'm in the clubhouse.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That story brings back some memories for me. The most frightening 20 minutes I've ever experienced was being caught on the Mt. Snow golf course in a thunderstorm. Jesus Christ I thought we were going to die, I could swear the lighting was right in front of me. We should never have been out there, and to this day the minute there is a crack of thunder or a hint of lightning, no matter how far away, I'm in the clubhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't had an experience like this despite all the golf I played.

That's probably why one time when we were in a huge monsoon storm we kept playing. We were on the 17th hole and the match was tied up. We were the only ones on the course at this point and a kid came out on a cart to tell us to come in. We said not gonna do it, we'll assume liability.

By the 18th hole, a par-5, the storm was bad enough that we would set down our clubs if we weren't hitting so as to not attract lightning. Pretty stupid but we finished the round and well, it gives us something to talk about now.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.lostdunes.com/

18 holes, #63 on Golf Digest's "America's Greatest Courses" list, for whatever that's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. It was only a 9 holer in 1998. With a little more than a shack for a clubhouse.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't had an experience like this despite all the golf I played.

That's probably why one time when we were in a huge monsoon storm we kept playing. We were on the 17th hole and the match was tied up. We were the only ones on the course at this point and a kid came out on a cart to tell us to come in. We said not gonna do it, we'll assume liability.

By the 18th hole, a par-5, the storm was bad enough that we would set down our clubs if we weren't hitting so as to not attract lightning. Pretty stupid but we finished the round and well, it gives us something to talk about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing about you posting is that the last run in I had with lightning was at the Wigwam in March. The rest of the idiots in my outing wanted to keep playing, saying the lightning was miles away. Meanwhile, the sky looks like Baghdad circa 2003. I kept asking the 100 year old ranger about whether they would blow a horn, and he looked at me like he thought I was asking him to fellate me. Finally everyone goes inside as the lightning bolts start striking around us like we were trying to cross the Berlin Wall from the East German side.

Since I had soiled myself, I make a dash inside, foolishly leaving my sunglasses and Bushnell rangefinder in the cart, which was parked right in front of where the staff stores the clubs, i.e., where only the Wigwam's staff would walk. Of course, the next day I come back to find my sunglasses in the lost and found, but no sign of the range finder.

Nice town you live in.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM

niss,

Don't hate on Phoenix because you leave expensive stuff laying around for lowly employees to steal.

We don't do horns here. Probably because we get ~6 inches rain/year. But upstate where the monsoons routinely strike around lunchtime they do. I remember one time we had eight guys and they were sending off everyone as a shotgun even though it wasn't a tournament. They just wanted to send people off in two flights for whatever reason, morning and afternoon. The horn went off and most everyone drove in. Eventually it stopped raining but the bastards wouldn't blow the horn to resume so we just took it upon ourselves to play on. I think we fit in about 3-4 holes before the rest of the players came back out, and I think we pissed off the groups that came out because we caused a bottleneck.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.lostdunes.com/

18 holes, #63 on Golf Digest's "America's Greatest Courses" list, for whatever that's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. It was only a 9 holer in 1998. With a little more than a shack for a clubhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

The clubhouse is sweet now. Plus, we stayed at some cabins overlooking the lake and fairway on 15. So, so awesome.

Pics:

Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 AM

Clark,

Those pics are absolutely goddamned ridiculously awesome.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:02 AM

Wow on those pics!!! On the playing in storms thing. (grew up in Kansas) After a huge thunderstorm moved through we went back out and played. We proceeded to watch a tornado touch down about 7 or 8 miles away. Stayed on the ground a couple minutes then disappeared. Just your average April evening of golf in Kansas watching tornadoes.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark,

Those pics are absolutely goddamned ridiculously awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

Shot 42 yesterday (par 37). Never felt better with the putter - only missed one putt inside ten feet, everything else was dead center.