Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Some Stuff About PUA (very long)

El D, I'm not up on all this PUA stuff, but if I don't misunderstand what peacocking is, it seems to me that a guy could go a long way just by wearing nice shoes. Women often really notice shoes and are into them pretty big time. They're a subtle way to display wealth.

I've seen rich people do the downscale rich thing a number of times, where they wear very ordinary clothes or even downscale clothes for the most part, but if you're in the know about what some things cost, you can see that their sunglasses cost $700 or something. So they get a kind of simultaneous dual-signaling going -- to the ordinary blokes that they're just ordinary blokes, and to the rich that they're one of them. That kind of hidden signaling seems like it would work well with women, too. They could see a guy standing out with what he's wearing while it was just going over the heads of the dudes hanging around.

Making him low aggro to dudes too, if that's worth anything, and I think it is.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM

The thing with peacocking is it has to be VERY congruent with you. That's the whole idea...you're so confident in yourself that you can go out wearing something unusual and still have a great time.

I think it's pretty silly, and I'd rather peacock by wearing something cool than something outragous (like nice shoes, nice watch), but it's just one of many tools. People see Mystery wearing a weird hat and they think this represents PUA or even peacocking, when it represents neither.

The whole idea is to peacock in a way that is inline with your personality, but it's really unnecessary anyway. It's a tool that can give you an extra edge if you're already good, but really be negative if you have no idea what you're doing. It's really such a small thing in PUA that it's silly to concentrate on it.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El D, I'm not up on all this PUA stuff, but if I don't misunderstand what peacocking is, it seems to me that a guy could go a long way just by wearing nice shoes. Women often really notice shoes and are into them pretty big time. They're a subtle way to display wealth.

I've seen rich people do the downscale rich thing a number of times, where they wear very ordinary clothes or even downscale clothes for the most part, but if you're in the know about what some things cost, you can see that their sunglasses cost $700 or something. So they get a kind of simultaneous dual-signaling going -- to the ordinary blokes that they're just ordinary blokes, and to the rich that they're one of them. That kind of hidden signaling seems like it would work well with women, too. They could see a guy standing out with what he's wearing while it was just going over the heads of the dudes hanging around.

Making him low aggro to dudes too, if that's worth anything, and I think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this post, because I think you indeed have a feel for social and group dynamics, as shows from what you write.

However, theres ia also a big big assumption hidden in your message, being that money = hot women.

Now I am not going to advocate that it does not HELP to meet women (one might wonder what type, but that is another discussion), but if the basis of what you write is under the assumption that no money means no *hot* women (reverse engineering I guess), then I have to say you are plain wrong.

It is funny, I live in one of the richest places in the world, and all these rich dudes with their yachts have a lot of just so so women, in terms of looks, while one would expect the opposite. I always thought this was kind of strange, which shows I am not entirely foreign to your train of thought.

Good comment about the shoes, really. They can work wonders.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm not saying that you can't get women without money, but that having it helps a lot. People like signalling it and people like looking for the signals. It does a lot of your work of standing out from the crowd and giving a good impression for you, rightly or wrongly. Of course, the door is still always open for you to blow it.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that you can't get women without money, but that having it helps a lot. People like signalling it and people like looking for the signals. It does a lot of your work of standing out from the crowd and giving a good impression for you, rightly or wrongly. Of course, the door is still always open for you to blow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just dress nice, and in your style. wearing stupid hats to attract attention is retarded and makes me want to punch you.

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

compared to

http://www.abercrombie.com/anf/lifes.../homepage.html

if you are able to distinguish the hugely massive difference between the two sites, you are on your way.

Ps, anyone can flash cash, 99% fo the time most females wont have any idea of your real financial standing until its not an issue for them anymore (ie they like you for you), unless you are hugely successful, but for your typical mid 20-something, it doesnt matter much.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Katy that's not really accurate. Really it's just that YOUR specific opinions re: what's hot, from that Lounge thread, just kind of make me cringe, LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find Blarg's characteristics and values kind of hot. What do you say to that mr. smartypants?

I love a lot of different kinds of men. I don't group men into only 2 categories either, the way I suspect you do women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy,

1) Then get you some, fool! Sister, you can have that if you so desire.

2) I don't separate women per se into categories of anything, really. I separate people into all sorts of different categories. I wonder what these two categories you're imagining are. Virgins and whores is the most traditional dichotomy of course. What else? Smart/dumb? Hot/not? I must admit I'm curious!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Katy that's not really accurate. Really it's just that YOUR specific opinions re: what's hot, from that Lounge thread, just kind of make me cringe, LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find Blarg's characteristics and values kind of hot. What do you say to that mr. smartypants?

I love a lot of different kinds of men. I don't group men into only 2 categories either, the way I suspect you do women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy,

1) Then get you some, fool! Sister, you can have that if you so desire.

2) I don't separate women per se into categories of anything, really. I separate people into all sorts of different categories. I wonder what these two categories you're imagining are. Virgins and whores is the most traditional dichotomy of course. What else? Smart/dumb? Hot/not? I must admit I'm curious!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seperating people into categories, no matter how many categories you have is stupid.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Yeah, flashing cash is gross, but you can still flash a lot in a subtle way -- like having a nice pair of shoes under jeans just as ratty as everyone else's. Not all flashing has to be over the top.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Eggplant,

Myers-Briggs will change your effing life. These guys have their pet social pseudoscience, I have mine!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, flashing cash is gross, but you can still flash a lot in a subtle way -- like having a nice pair of shoes over jeans just as ratty as everyone else's. Not all flashing has to be over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but your still flashing, to me, if I see someoen wearing ratty jeans, and a pair of 1k sunglasses, and looks pretty generic just like everyone else, Im still going to think they are just trying to get the point across that they have money. I still think people are douche bags if they are just trying to flash money, whether it be subtle or not.

this does not mean that I think buying expensive stuff is stupid, its just that most people just buy crap because it is expensive, I have no doubt that for every pair of 1k sunglasses, there about 100 w/ more style, adn look a lot better for a fraction of the price, but stupid people just see 1k and think "gee, Ill get laid wearing super expensive glasses".

this is all negated if we are talking x-ray glasses obv.