Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: 20 people killed at Virginia Tech

its sick how much that girl looks like my gf. they could be twins.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 AM

the best part of this thread was when Kyro told Blarg to die a horrible death (because he felt Blarg wasnt being sympathetic enough), but edited it before it could get quoted.

Telling people to die a horrible death seems pretty common on 2+2 (and unban worthy [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]).
Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Over the next few days we will learn of courageous individuals who risked and/or sacrificed their lives for others. I guess if you just think of the number 32, you may be able to feel nothing at all, but if you read the stories of the unfortunate victims, you begin to realize what a tragedy it is.

I read this so I appreciate more how important and fragile life is. This guy is a hero:

I don't think my teacher got out

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like he didn't make it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"As of 4 p.m., his wife had not been able to find him either."

That's so [censored] horrible.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we're all posting on a poker site. most of us think it's stupid when someone makes a "good" fold but then sees that he would have won the hand and is upset with himself. "how could people think that way?" we ask.. but here you have it in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn and drunkirish - EXACTLY.

I went to school in a small-town with 8k residents and 16k college-students. Also grew up there.
I know we had a couple of murders there in my 20+ yrs living there.

Do you just lock-down the whole town every time there's a murder?

Here's a news-flash for everyone who is so concerned about, "you know the gunman hasn't been caught yet."
Usually the gunman is NOT caught the instant the murder happens.
Sometimes it might be a few hours later or it might be the next day or the next week.

Lots of times there are murders committed and they have to investigate and figure out what was going on and THEN they catch up to him.

what about having the first murder be ON campus makes it so exceptional? Drunk's points about an elementary school the other direction are right on point.

Look at a university like Ohio State.
Columbus is a reasonably dangerous city.
I suspect lots of murders within shouting distance of the campus as well as somewhat near various high-schools and elementary schools.

Are you telling me that EVERY time there is a murder anywhere near ANY school where you don't have the guy in custody right away you are just going to shut down the whole city and university?

It's not practical.

I don't know how many murders take place on various campuses throughout the year across the whole country. But I know there have to be a few. And I know that in some of them it was just a 'regular' type of murder where there was a body and the cops only had a lead or two on who might have done it.

I really don't understand all the concern about the university not shutting down the whole campus for one murder.
Unless they had some reason to believe something else was going to happen and I don't think they had any evidence of anything like that.
That makes it pretty much just like any murder in the country at first, doesn't it?

Hypothetical:
Some guy catches his wife in bed with another guy and shoots them both.
The authorities haven't caught up to him yet.
Do you just lock-down the entire city?
If there was a lock-down every time there was a murder and they weren't sure who did it or where the suspect was then a lot of us wouldn't be allowed outside hardly ever.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:41 AM

Not that this will surprise anyone, but it looks like Phelps and crew are going to picket the funerals of students that died. http://www.godhatesamerica.com/. Hopefully those motorcycle guys that try to block them can make it too.

"WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror.."

Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. Your military chose to shoot at the servants of God today, and all they got for their effort was terror. Then, the LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Place that has guns is by far more dangerous enviroment than the one without.

[/ QUOTE ]
When was the last time you heard about a mass shooting at a gun show?

[/ QUOTE ]
your logic sucks

[/ QUOTE ]
If his statement holds true, then a gun show should be much more dangerous than a college campus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would feel far less safe at a gun show that I do on campus.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you just lock-down the whole town every time there's a murder?

[/ QUOTE ]
They saw fit to conduct lockdowns due to the phoned-in bomb threats from the previous two weeks. If that's standard procedure, then I don't understand the logic of not conducting a lockdown or at least warning students in a timely manner when there's an armed homicidal maniac in the vicinity.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 AM

I am guessing tht bomb threats legally require a lockdown, and that is why it takes place.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Place that has guns is by far more dangerous enviroment than the one without.

[/ QUOTE ]
When was the last time you heard about a mass shooting at a gun show?

[/ QUOTE ]
your logic sucks

[/ QUOTE ]
If his statement holds true, then a gun show should be much more dangerous than a college campus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would feel far less safe at a gun show that I do on campus.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess we can't do much about your irrational fears.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:52 AM

you do not know it's an armed-homicidal maniac when the first murder happens.

It was 2 people who were murdered which really isn't THAT incredibly infrequent.

Of course you lock it down when you have a bomb-threat that has any kind of credibility until you are reasonably certain there isn't a bomb.

But when one or two people are murdered this does NOT usually equal armed homicidal maniac.

In Memphis:
160 or so murders in 2006.
Many of these were domestic disputes (as the first murder at Va Tech might have been for all authorities knew at the time).
Most of these murderers were NOT caught right away.
In fact, there would be stories on TV, "If you have any information regarding this shooting contact..."
Most of these took place somewhere near a high-school or elementary school.

Lets say a murder takes place at 3am or 9am or 3pm or 10pm within 1 mile of an elementary school one way and within a 1/2 mile of a high-school the other way.
The murderer hasn't been caught yet.
Do you just lock-down all the school anywhere near the crime-scene until you catch the murderer?
I think you would go an entire year in Memphis without allowing a single kid to go to school.

It's a dangerous city and, indeed, a dangerous world.
There are murderers who got away with it walking around in the streets with you RIGHT NOW whether you like it or not.
They didn't go on mass-murder sprees like this one.
There was no reason (at the time) to think this guy would do that either.