Check behind 0 0%
Bet and fold to raise 7 53.85%
Bet and call raise 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Why should I wish to live?

[ QUOTE ]
I totally disagree that none of us are special. All of us are special. I don't think you would agree with me on this, but I do think it's a real distinction. Not all of us are going to be world leaders, but that's OK. I find it odd that I'm an atheist and I believe that all life is worth living, yet you believe in God (and Jesus, apparently, which is blowing my mind, but whatever) and think that there are many lives that are so terrible they should just be ended. WTF is going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may regret entering this thread, but here goes.

1) I view both schools-of-cliche-thought ("no one is special" vs. "EVERYONE is special!") as ridiculously simplistic views of the world.

"Everyone is special" really just means that everyone is unique, which doesn't mean much in this discussion. Everyone is a unique assemblage of parts -- experiences, abilities, beliefs, etc -- but those parts are far from unique themselves. Break yourself down into parts and you'll find there are many, many people in the world who have that same part (again, whether it's a skill, a belief, whatever).

This means that you can say correctly that everyone is "special" (unique) because everyone has a unique SET of things that make them who they are. You can simultaneously say that no one is "special" (unique) because while the sets may be unique, the parts themselves are not.

Now, the use of the word special in those phrases, as I've noted, implies the meaning of "unique." But in this conversation with Anacardo, the focus should be on the word "deserving." Are certain people more deserving than others? Yes, I believe there are. But I believe those people are not deserving due to virtue, or intelligence, or particular skills. They are deserving because they are determined and adaptable. If you're willing to work hard, and make changes, or do things you dislike, you'll be rewarded. And this type of person usually doesn't think of themselves as "special" or "deserving."

2) I too find myself baffled by Anacardo's contemplation of suicide (even if it's just an intellectual exercise) and his claim that he believes in a Christian God. Given how much he thinks, I can't imagine he hasn't thought about how those conflict. And I'm truly interested in his reply to that question.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo lock this stupid [censored]' thread already.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he locks it will he be locking it because of Anacardo's unwillingness to accept the advice given thus far? Or will he be locking it because the people that have given the advice are unwilling to accept that Anacardo has rejected it?

I understand why it is frustrating dealing with him but why are we mad? Why attack his character, his intelligence. Why attack him at all? Does he really need that will it help?

Anacardo I told you how I get through life. I also tried to give you advice. I wanted you to take it but now I know that was wrong. Just know that I don't hate you or think any less of you for anything you have said in this thread.

I for one do not want to live in a world where I hate people that disagree with me so I will try not to do it myself at the very least. I guess I owe the guys in the tipping thread an apology. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM

All,

I agree w/ f2's eloquently phrased point that this thread has reached a point of minimal usefulness in terms of new stuff to discuss.

Cardo is of course welcome to start another thread if he decides to pursue any of the suggestions here, or just to update us on his progress. I don't mind if some things here veer a little towards the bloggy side as long as they generate interesting discussion.
Closed Thread