Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Sopranos Season Finale Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
None of them have moved forward. They're all still dealing with their exact same problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this interpretation, especially this part. Also, I don't know if anyone else heard it, but Colin Cowherd was talking about how Kenny Mayne had stated that the whole episode was about parking: AJ parks in the wrong spot, Phil's wife can't put the car in park and his head gets smashed, and Meadow can't park. It really has zero to do with the episode, but I thought it was entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a new jersey show - parking has probably figured in several episodes.

also zomg the opening sequence is about parking too, eventually!

[/ QUOTE ]

Long Term Parking
Old 06-11-2007, 07:04 PM

Solid post traz. I hadn't thought about Meadow's parking like that but it makes sense.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:10 PM

he holds off taking control of the crew because he's thinking, "what? cifaretto? this [censored] should have been mine 10 years ago."

paulie held tony up real high (the painting). once he figured out that tony didn't hold him very highly - flippant comments, disdain, mockery - he lost regard for tony.

i think the boat was what flipped it for him.

paulie was pretty damned jovial at bobby's wake. we saw that he's capable of deep feeling (his mother).

over the seasons, i saw the gradual deterioration of his reverence for tony. i think that by this episode, he thinks that there's nothing that tony does that he can't do.

he isn't going to NY. he's running jersey.

he just subcontracted the hit on tony out to whoever. he's sloppy like that. plus, it's not like he got clipped at holstein's. it could be tomorrow, next week, whenever. paulie is a guy who has always kept his distance with regards to killing (iirc).
Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the level of certainty that there will be a movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a very small chance. Tony would obviously have to be alive for a movie. That would kind of defeat the purpose of the ending.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Everyone today seems focused on the ending and that's fine I guess. I wasn't particularly thrilled with it but it's kind of growing on me with time.

So my real beef is with whole final episode which I thought was pretty boring. Way too much focus on AJ, a character that I think most people don't care for or about.

After the penultimate episode which I thought was very good I was really looking forward to the grand finale which turned out to be a real dud, the ending notwithstanding.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:46 PM

Everyone who thinks there are hidden clues to the scene indicating that Tony was killed are totally off base.

The whole point of the scene is that Tony is NOT in danger. Only the editing, which played into the audience's expectations and prior touchstones of the genre, generate any sort of tension.

Compare the final scene of the Sopranos finale to the final scene of the Gilmore Girls finale. Take away editing tricks, and they are virtually identical. Any hidden clues are in your mind alone. The only reason we are afraid that Tony or Meadow might get whacked, and have no such fears about Lorelai and Rory, is our preconceived notion of how these shows' should play out within their respective genres.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:49 PM

I can't believe you made me watch that.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 PM

no mention yet of paulie unzipping at the table after he ate?

also, tony had another intentional tongue slip-up, when the fbi agent was talking about the potential flight being blown up/hijacked, tony says "my sons making a molehill outta this"
Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 PM

Man, the final scene of The Gilmore Girls didn't make me cry nearly as hard as my wife when she watched it. Maybe she realized that both of them got shot. Hmmmm.

At least it wasn't a rickroll.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 PM

I just went back to watch the final episode, and I thought I'd make a list of the jukebox songs in case anyone is interested. I was obviously interested enough to go look myself :P

Page 1:
Somewhere in the Night
My Baby Drives a Buick
Those were the Days
Turn Turn Turn
Only The Strong Survive
Victim Of Love

Page 2
Rock it Billy
I've Gotta Be Me
A Lonely Place
The Magic Moment
Since I don't Have You
Crystal Blue Persuasion
I'm Alive
June Night

After looking at those 2 pages, Tony flips to "Don't stop Believing" and "Any way you want it"...and shortly after that, the camera zooms in on "I've gotta be me" and "A lonely place".

He of course chooses to play Don't Stop Believing