Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: question for the experts!

simple answer: bet your big hands strong.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM

Assuming you are playing on Party, your hand histories are most likely under C:/Program Files/PartyPoker/HandHistory or something like that.

As far as having 69o while you know someone else has KK preflop, folding is correct unless the pot is offering you roughly 6:1 odds, which is about the odds of 96o beating KK. So hypothetically, lets say the pot was 600, and it cost you 100 to call. Even if you knew that the other player in the pot had KK, it would be a mistake for you to fold since you are getting the appropriate odds to call.

In reality it's more more complicated than that because of things like implied odds, reverse implied odds, etc., but I think you need to learn some of the basics before you start worrying about that.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM

Thak you. I will take your advice
Old 03-16-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Till I find my hand history, could you tell me what the correct way of playing the big pairs is? Some say you want people in preflop, some say you don't. If you have 6,9os and somebody has KK, folding is not the corect play preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends how deep you are. If the kings does not fold after the flop no matter what when he flops an overpair, a good player could profitably play 69o by calling and only putting money in when he makes two pair or better. But if he has to call off 1/5 of his stack in order to see a flop, then he will never make enough when he does hit to come out ahead. However, if the 69o guy only called off 1/100 of his stack, he could easily make this money back.

Regarless, the right way to play big pairs is to raise with them preflop. Say 3 big blinds, plus an extra BB for each limper in the pot. Doesn't have to be exactly this, but close to it. Limping is very bad, unless you have a plan to limp in first poition, and hope somebody bets so you can reraise. But thats an exception, I wouldn't bother trying this often.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 PM

As far as how I would have played this hand: Preflop, I would have raised somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-800. I want to put in a decent sized raise so that people have to pay to play, but I don't want to lose people when I have such a good hand. With 2 limpers in ahead of you, there's a pretty good chance at least 1 of them calls that raise, not to mention the blinds left to act behind you.

On the flop, it depends what the players in front of me do, but your flop reraise was fine. I don't really understand what happened after that since your description of the hand goes haywire, but assuming the rest of the betting occured on the flop, you moving all in after the one guy pushed and the other raised was correct.

Then you got sucked out on, which is a bad beat and you did nothing wrong, you got your chips in as an overwhelming favorite with 1 player drawing to 1 out, and the other player drawing to a runner runner only.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM

OMG FLURN!
Every time someone posts this word I burst out in smothered laughter at work. Tears and snot are now running down my face.
WHY is this not in BBV where it would be truly appreciated.

seke2 for BBV mod...
--GA
Old 03-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Thanks a lot! I try to improve both my english and my poker skills. 2 years ago I knew nothing of both. A friend told me I should come here and ask questions since loosing big with huge hands seems like a pattern for me. Thanks all for your great advice. I'm trying to retrieve this hand history plus other same huge hands = big losses. Maybe you can see where my mistake is
Old 03-16-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot! I try to improve both my english and my poker skills. 2 years ago I knew nothing of both. A friend told me I should come here and ask questions since loosing big with huge hands seems like a pattern for me. Thanks all for your great advice. I'm trying to retrieve this hand history plus other same huge hands = big losses. Maybe you can see where my mistake is

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - nh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2006, 07:47 PM

Sorry seke, but my hand history log was turned off so I am not able to retreive the corect hand history. I emailed to PP requesting it though.
What do you think about all in players in early stages of tournaments? What strategy should someone apply against them?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:50 PM

It's completely situational, but if you find someone who is habitually going all-in in the early stages of a non-rebuy tournament, all you can do is wait until you have a big hand and call them when they go all in. When the blinds are low, they aren't gaining much if everyone folds to them.

There's really no great general advice to answer that question, though. Stack sizes, payout structures, position, hand strength, reads, tournament format, and a ton of other things can make a push completely justifiable in one circumstance while the same 2 cards would be an easy fold in another circumstance.