Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Kindle: Amazon\'s new wireless reading device

[ QUOTE ]
$400 seems really reasonable for what you get. Can't believe people think it's overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly do you get for $400? I guess if you have an existing library of compatible books you get something. Otherwise you still have to pay before you can really start using the device.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$400 seems really reasonable for what you get. Can't believe people think it's overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely is overpriced. This is the first of its type to market (...I think) which is going to allow them to charge the inflated price. I remember purchasing a ProScan DVD player when DVD players first hit the market - $750. New technology is fun and the bragging rights are cool but it never comes cheap.

Wait a year or two when the competition gets in the game and improves functionality and compatibility. This Kindle 1.0 will look like a dinosaur in no time.

As of now I wouldn't buy one simply because the technology is not where I would want it to be for such a device. I'd have to buy an new one in a year. I can wait.

But if you gotta' have one then you gotta' have one. I can respect that.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 AM

The only real advantage to this is if you want to read Wikipedia while not home or have a need for a large portable library. The biggest advantage a book has, especially a paperback, is simply its comfort and flexibility to hold and an electronic device cannot match that. Also unless you're just starved for room, a bunch of books in your home looks good. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]