Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Now I\'m Even More Convinced...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its like you're arguing a green couch isn't a green couch because a dot of bleach got on it and made a white patch. The couch is still a green couch but we are now overly focusing on the blemish of the spot instead of taking in the whole couch.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a green couch - with a white spot. I guess your God is a good God - with an evil spot?

See, you're claiming a perfect God, an absolute being. That means no blemishes. So yes, one "spot" on God or on God's word matters a lot. It means God is prone to error.

[/ QUOTE ]

We weren't discussing the nature of God. tame_deuces is talking about a problem he thinks was made in a translation.

I'm saying the purpose of this post was to look at a historical event that seems to fit into God's Plan. One imperfection that may or may not have been totally explained by history doesn't contradict the historical event or the fact that it may be part of a larger plan.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM

We're talking about the Bible, the word of God right? And prophecies inspired by God? You'd think they'd be less tenuous. You know, crisp clean predictions that can be verified and that go off according to the prophecy. But maybe God had a hangover and he just wanted to get it over with and he [censored] it up a little.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're talking about the Bible, the word of God right? And prophecies inspired by God? You'd think they'd be less tenuous. You know, crisp clean predictions that can be verified and that go off according to the prophecy. But maybe God had a hangover and he just wanted to get it over with and he [censored] it up a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my OP. It is relating a historical event with a glancing reference to the book of Daniel by Wikipedia. I find it interesting that a Hellenic ruler just decided to go and desecrate God's altar and de-nationalize a people who were not in rebellion against him for no apparent reason. Of course, if Satan was trying to up end the Hebrews to delay the birth of Jesus that is a very compelling idea. But after this atrocity the Jews managed to fight Antiochus off and survive as a nation and in the next century or so Jesus was born.

We had Hitler try to exterminate the Jews, but enough of them survived to revive a new nation in 1948. The destruction of Jerusalem is predicted throughout the Old Testament, is referred to in the NT by Jesus himself and the re-establishment of Israel after its fall is also told in the New Testament. We're not talking sleight of hand here. There was no "dove" disappearing and re-appearing. We're talking a nation of people disappearing and re-appearing. Are there any other nations of people that were dispersed, persecuted throughout the world then came back as a nation? This is a highly unusual event too and it was prophesied thousands of years ago.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Matthew 24:15-16 (JNT)

(15) "So when you see the abomination that causes desolation
spoken about through the prophet Dani'el standing in the
Holy Place" [ Daniel 9:27, 11:31, 12:11 ] (let the reader
understand the allusion),
(16) "that will be the time for those in Y'hudah [ Judea ]
to escape to the hills."

Daniel 12:8-10 (NIV)

(8) I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, "My
lord, what will the outcome of all this be?"
(9) He replied, "Go your way, Daniel, because the words are
closed up and sealed until the time of the end.
(10) Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but
the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked
will understand, but those who are wise will understand."
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Not the point.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM

This is my thread based on a historical discovery I came upon. Please don't change the essence of it.