Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Inducing a bluff

This would be a fine play against a lag in no limit, I'd still value bet more than check behind. In limit though I just don't see any merit against any player in this exact situation. Your hand is vulerable and no one ever folds a ten or king or any pair and often peel even the turn with Ace high. You will be raised on turn by a lot of players. Bluffing on this board is such a huge mistake I really don't see anyone but a maniac doing it. And, against them you just bet/3bet for value.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi QueBob,

It's good that you're willing to experiment with different plays and to ask "why" a lot. That said, this play really sucks.

The reason is that a QJ9 board is an ACTION board. When you flop a big hand on this board, you should not slowplay. There are lots of 2nd best hands out there, and you are in position checked to you. BET BET BET BET gogogogogogogo.

-eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, thx eric, think you're right. goooooogooogoo. I usually doodoogoogoo I'm 19/12/2.6 at micros and bang head, real hard. I make a rare exception, I think this was a bad spot to deviate, that's why I posted it. Ok, I'm sold...I should have bet the turn, ya, I should have be the turn. yep
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the .25/.50 level you really should play straight forward poker vs most of your opponents. They are not as observant/tricky as you are. Thus, you should be value betting in these situations. Your opponents are poor at this level because they go to far with to many hands. They're called "calling stations." They cannot call if you do not bet.

An exception to this is when you are sure the opponent to your immediate left is going to bet and the rest of your opponents will call/overcall thus you should probably check to him so you can raise it and trap everyone for 2 bets. This situation usually occurs when said opponent was the aggressor on the street before.

Edited (After reading some of your replys): Your BB/100 is going to take a significant hit if you do not start betting in these situations. Take this into consideration, what is worse:

1. You for some reason, fold PF with pocket aces no matter what.

2. You routinely check trying to induce a bluff and miss a valuebet whenever your opponent is on a draw.

The second one is worse by far because that situation comes up CONSTANTLY. The first one only happens once or twice every few hundred hands. So tell me, would you be folding pocket aces preflop?

This is why people are being so agressive in their responses. They've been there, fixed that leak, and moved on. They're trying to help you do the same. Instead of trying to defend your play without some kind of sound logic, instead try to understand why it might be wrong. You'll improve VERY quickly this way.

Anyways, just my .02.

-Blzd

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you are saying...I'll re-read later after my nap. thx man.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:01 AM

ha. I see that you got crushed in this thread and I am just piling on. lol. Sorry. I do think your willingness to think about "crazy" plays will serve you well though.

-e
Old 11-03-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ha. I see that you got crushed in this thread and I am just piling on. lol. Sorry. I do think your willingness to think about "crazy" plays will serve you well though.

-e

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh cumon, this play is not that crazy. He folded like a jellyfish, like I thought he would.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:36 AM

This is a bad spot for the simple reason that ou hand is too good and there are many hands that will pay us off.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:56 AM

folding AA preflop is a pretty big leak one could have. It accounts for 2+ bb/100 in of itself.

Not sure if not value betting with two pair happens nearly that much to make it worth 2 bb/100.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 AM

I wasn't referring to two pair specifically. I was referring to a broad range of situations where you are most likely ahead on a draw heavy board. Giving someone a free card and missing BBs, quite possibly on two streets in the same hand would be far more costly considering the situation arises quite frequently. Again, not a specific situation but a broad range of situations. The AA one is a specific one but it puts the value betting into perspective when thinking of the long run.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:31 AM

deviation is good. analyse situations with a %/%/% option rather than a 'i bet here' option and it will serve you well as you move up.

(for example, 10/80/10 could be raise 10%, call 80% and fold 10%)

that said, this is a 100/0/0 spot for betting, at most levels (for all the reasons already stated).

think about why you would deviate here, what metagame value does it have? how do you expect your own image to change by deviating?