Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Fun w/ TT

Garland,

I've played with Mason on 3 or 4 occasions now. He knows how to push small edges preflop. In fact, I've seen him raise one loose limper from the hijack with Q9o.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Garland,

I've played with Mason on 3 or 4 occasions now. He knows how to push small edges preflop. In fact, I've seen him raise one loose limper from the hijack with Q9o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, that's standard. Raising with AQo, AQs, KJs or QJs and calling two more bets back isn't.

3 or 4 times? Over what time span? I thought he was too busy to play a lot of poker.

Garland
Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jesus, that's standard. Raising with AQo, AQs, KJs or QJs and calling two more bets back isn't.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

people fold AQs in that spot?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

people fold AQs in that spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not normal people of course, but good players should (I should have on this hand, but it's debatable given the characters in this particular game):

Live at the Bike 2/20/2006 around the one hour mark:

$20/$40 game now 8-handed.

I raise UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], called by CO, 3-bet by super crazy lucky LAG SB, capped by gambling BB and I call due to the nature of the game, MP calls, SB calls.

Flop: SB bets blind. A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB calls, I raise, CO folds, SB 3-bets, BB calls and I call.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB bets, BB calls, I raise, SB 3-bets, BB calls and I just call.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB bets, BB folds and I just call.

Hands in white below:
<font color="white">

CO 4d4c
SB AhAs
BB JsTs </font>
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Garland what the hell are you talking about? You generally post in a nice friendly way and take the time to not insult people and are helpful and articulate, but what. the. hell. are you talking about? Your evidence that AQs should be folded preflop when you raise and it comes back capped is an example where "super crazy lucky LAG SB" has aces and you lose a good sized pot?

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Garland what the hell are you talking about? You generally post in a nice friendly way and take the time to not insult people and are helpful and articulate, but what. the. hell. are you talking about? Your evidence that AQs should be folded preflop when you raise and it comes back capped is an example where "super crazy lucky LAG SB" has aces and you lose a good sized pot?

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? Who am I insulting? I'm probably insulting myself more than anyone. I'm simply presenting an empirical hand that I played that was questionable and a reason why people need to consider folding pre-flop when it gets capped back (and double consider when there's a 5-bet cap). It didn't need to come AxxQx as in this particular case. Flopping a Q would be good sufficient enough to get me in to trouble against that LAG.

I'm not saying my call pre-flop in that particular case was necessarily wrong, but I'm not sure it's right either.

Garland
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Garland,

[/ QUOTE ]

3 or 4 times? Over what time span? I thought he was too busy to play a lot of poker.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

when did raising Q9o from the hijack after a loose limper become standard? i usually won't even raise this from the hijack w/o a limper
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Garland,

[/ QUOTE ]

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

Garland - before you considered Mason nitty because he must surely fold AQo, AQs, KJs or QJs, now you think he is playing too loose if he calls 2 bets with QJs, AQs, or KJs? You cant have it both ways, its one or the other.

In a live game where I have a good feel about the table and I am positive the hand wont be capped pre-flop I am calling with all three of the above hands. And yes, thats standard if your a good player who adjusts and plays well post-flop, there is no reason to fold pre-flop in such a large pot except for extreme situations.

As for the 3 or 4 times you asked the Dude about the first time I met him was a few years ago while playing in a wild low-limit game with Mason. All three of us live in Vegas, its a small world ya know...

PS: Q9o on the button open raising is good, Q9o in the HJ is... rather loose aggressive. NOT nitty.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when did raising Q9o from the hijack after a loose limper become standard? i usually won't even raise this from the hijack w/o a limper

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you really are tight.

Garland
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Garland - before you considered Mason nitty because he must surely fold AQo, AQs, KJs or QJs, now you think he is playing too loose if he calls 2 bets with QJs, AQs, or KJs? You cant have it both ways, its one or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? You must be confused. I never considered Mason "too nitty" because he must surely fold AQo, AQs, KJs, QJs because I would make the exact same fold when it comes back two more to me. (Mason, please chime in now!). I'm nitty just like him that way and am in no way finding fault with this play.

[ QUOTE ]
In a live game where I have a good feel about the table and I am positive the hand wont be capped pre-flop I am calling with all three of the above hands. And yes, thats standard if your a good player who adjusts and plays well post-flop, there is no reason to fold pre-flop in such a large pot except for extreme situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course it's your money to put in, so go for it. From personal experience, I will never get lucky enough to make calling 2 more when there's strong evidence of an overpair or chance that one (or both) of my cards is dead. Suited is just an excuse because it's only marginally (3 to 4%) better than its offsuit counterpart.

Q9o folded to you in HJ and fold? I shiver at the thought [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Wow, we are so getting off the main topic of this thread.

Garland