Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Marion Jones admits steriods use

Back on topic (slightly)...regarding the implication of Marion's plea on the Bonds investigation, from ESPN Magazine:

[ QUOTE ]

And then there is the issue of Barry Bonds, still the big fish in this food chain. So far, no one has contradicted Conte's claim that Bonds, as far as he knew, never got BALCO's designer drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Marion Jones admits steroids use

Article at ESPN that theorizes MJ still had a lot holes her testimony and got off easily possibly because she gave up some dirt will help the Feds bust Barry.

lol from the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's why the feds raced out of the courtroom on Friday at a pace that would have made Jones proud,

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 AM

Fact: Barry Bonds has not violated the MLB steroid policy.

Answer this question then. Do you believe that Bonds was given substances that were PEDS by Greg Andersen and took those substances?

Yes or No?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:52 PM

From wikipedia:

"Then in Sydney, Jones told the press that she was aiming for five gold medals. As it was considered a possibility by fans and pundits alike, she was a media darling during the Olympics. However, she finished with three golds and two bronzes, still an astonishing feat which had never been achieved by a female athlete before."

Nice one there Marion. I don't think she got enough attention as a child.

Her "golds" from Sidney:
100m
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pQkUTJH4...ed&search=

200m
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l0tOZRtItlU

("what do you say about that. 21.85, that is brilliant running" HAHAHA)

4x400m wasn't on youtube.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right, all that testimony that the people refuse to repeat under oath. The book that landed a prosecuter in jail for unethical procedures. The sources of which are highly suspect.

Good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Redbean has really convinced some people no one in baseball has taken steroids. He can twist it all he wants, "Barry never broke baseball's policy," whatever you want to say. Barry used steroids, everyone knows it. So Mark didn't want to talk about the past, Sammy forgot to speak English, etc as well?

Look, I'm not going to argue that Bonds DIDN'T break baseballs rule or whatever else Redbean wants to spin as usual. I'm just saying he used steroids.

Thankfully since he refuses to talk about it, (unlike most people when accused of something they didn't do, he doesn't deny it strongly at every chance) we won't have to listen to some tear filled thing such as Marion's when the truth does come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

These arguments are so hilaruous. No matter how many times these stupid points get shot down, you guys predictably, regularly fall back on the only actual argument you have: "Everybody knows he did it!" Here is a rough outline of the Bonds is a Cheater Playbook:

"Everyone knows Bonds took steroids."
Do you have any proof of that, or why should anyone believe you?
"Sure, [insert whichever particular flavor you like, big head, Commisioner Memo, whatever]"
These all get thoroughly demolished.
"Everybody knows he took steroids!"

Well, no offense, but as a general rule, when it comes to sports, "everybody" is a [censored] moron. So I'll just base my opinions off evidence, facts and logical arguments, and I'll let "everybody" drool all over themselves and eat play-doh.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: Barry Bonds has not violated the MLB steroid policy.

Answer this question then. Do you believe that Bonds was given substances that were PEDS by Greg Andersen and took those substances?

Yes or No?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think thats a violation of MLBs drug policy?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

lol from the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's why the feds raced out of the courtroom on Friday at a pace that would have made Jones proud,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The actual quote, in reference to her coach Graham:

[ QUOTE ]

On one level, her plea deal might actually serve to help her old coach, since she has failed to show that he had knowledge of what he was giving her. Maybe that's why the feds raced out of the courtroom on Friday at a pace that would have made <u>Graham</u> proud, rather than address how, if at all, Jones' plea helps them in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes or No?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that it hasn't been proven, and that Bonds has not been afforded the chance to present his side of the case in response to allegations, it's too early to be making a definitive judgement.

Call it overly cautious, or call me a stickler for "innocent until proven guilty"....whatever...but considering that other athletes have been indicted in quick fashion resulting from the same scandal, and they have been unable to indict Bonds, combined with their seeming unwillingness to lift the seal and let him address the allegations.....there just may be more to it than the media or prosecution would like to let on.

Simply put, we've only been told one side of the story, and we were told through the filter of biased sports journalists who have had the credibility of their sources cast in doubt.

If that were the standard of evidence applied universally, then everyone ever charged or under suspicion would be considered guilty, and there wouldn't be any need for fair trials.

Thankfully, however, our country affords those accused a chance to defend themselves....eventually......and just because you may not like Bonds based on what SI told you, or because he hit a 3-run homer against your favorite team once...I just don't see that as a reason to not afford him the very same fair treatment that you or I would expect ourselves if we were ever in a similar situation.

Look no further than the recent Duke Lacrosse incident to see just the situation that arises when the 'court of public opinion' is quick to convict on mere allegation, in their rush to judgement for salicious headlines and disregard for due process.

Obviously, though, if you just base your opinion on the prosecutions allegations, as relayed by a heavily biased media with dubious credibile sources, and you could care less about due process or treating the man fairly....then I can understand why you may find him guilty in the 'court of public opinion', especially if you already had a prejudice against Bonds.......but unlike most I'd rather reserve judgement until both sides have a fair chance to present their case, and all the evidence is laid out.

I mean, the man hits baseballs for a living....I'd think the least we can do is give him a fair shake at presenting his side of the story before we call for his freedom to be taken away.

But to answer your question...No, I don't believe any unproven allegations made by anyone when the person accused hasn't yet been given the chance to respond.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

lol from the article:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The actual quote, in reference to her coach Graham:

[ QUOTE ]

On one level, her plea deal might actually serve to help her old coach, since she has failed to show that he had knowledge of what he was giving her. Maybe that's why the feds raced out of the courtroom on Friday at a pace that would have made <u>Graham</u> proud, rather than address how, if at all, Jones' plea helps them in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, lol - I just switched it because I thought Graham was her married name. No difference - feds were implied to be on to soemthing else.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No difference - feds were implied to be on to soemthing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

It reads to me as if the author was implying the feds were unable to get MJ to provide any useful evidence against Graham, and instead of sticking around to discuss what long-term effect the case would have, they declined to elaborate.