Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Whats the \"best\" sport?

yeah wtf you don't need pads and [censored] to play tackle football, just a bunch of throw-on jerseys (which are optional in and of themselves).
Old 10-06-2007, 02:21 AM

Yeah, but most people when they think of pickup football is really just a glorified 7 on 7 drill, hardly anyone plays pickup with actual offensive and defensive lines. Not real football, just a football type game.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate.

+anyone can play
+lots of cardivascular
+combines frisbee, soccer, basketball, football
+fun
+low cost
+not complicated
+no need to be tall or jump (though it does help, it's way less of a big deal than basketball)
+practically no contact = min. risk of injury

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think ultimate is all around the best. I have torn an ACL and a meniscus playing, so injuries can happen.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate.

+anyone can play
+lots of cardivascular
+combines frisbee, soccer, basketball, football
+fun
+low cost
+not complicated
+no need to be tall or jump (though it does help, it's way less of a big deal than basketball)
+practically no contact = min. risk of injury

[/ QUOTE ] I had basketball in my top but you definitely need some skills to play. Some people I know cant even hit the rim with the basketball. Soccer and Ultimate, anyone can kick a ball or throw a Frisbee which is good. Dont need to be a freakish athlete either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think people in general are any more competent at throwing a frisbee than shooting a basketball. Most people you put out there in a mild breeze aren't gonna complete many passes. Not sure about soccer, but I'd imagine beginners are similarly pathetic.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think people in general are any more competent at throwing a frisbee than shooting a basketball. Most people you put out there in a mild breeze aren't gonna complete many passes. Not sure about soccer, but I'd imagine beginners are similarly pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ] its much easier to learn to throw a frisbee into a direction of someone(they normally run to get it) than to shoot a basketball through a hoop. Id say the same about soccer which is probably more difficult with the defense people play in soccer. It seems like it would be very easy to just kick it from someone thats a newb. But ultimate and soccer I would say are way easier to learn/get better at than basketball, golf, surfing, football.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 PM

Disagree on soccer. It's much easier to get good at something with your hands than with your feet.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 PM

Yeah I'm a pretty decent athlete but I [censored] suck elephant balls at soccer. Dribbling/ball control is ridiculously hard to learn as an adult/late teen.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A work-out isn't the only thing that defines a sport by far.

Football sure does require a ton of equipment to be played at anything that's even a close approximation to the way it's really played. You could just as well say flying doesn't require a plane.

Swimming is a great work-out, but a poor sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never played tackle football with no equipment? This was a daily routine for my group of friends growing up.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Disagree on soccer. It's much easier to get good at something with your hands than with your feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you...

Our college, like most, had intramurals....

Our intramural soccer games were full of people pretty much just wildly kicking at the ball. Each team would usually have a few guys that could dribble decently, and some of the better teams had guys that could pass to their teamates well and run certain give and gos and other plays. But even the horrible people who would just run and kick at the ball would still score goals from time to time....and a goal is a big deal in soccer.

With basketball, the horrible people would just be a complete joke on the court....they'd be lucky to make one or two baskets all game- and unlike soccer, one or two baskets isn't a big deal in basketball. Moreover they'd get the ball stolen from them often, and I think turnovers are a bigger deal in basketball than in soccer(although I'm not certain).
Old 10-13-2007, 04:17 AM

Probably some form of martial arts - effective and practical