Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Under 25-year-olds only!!!! Do you know who Estelle Getty is?
Yes 3 12.00%
No 22 88.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Rank these past NBA Teams

[ QUOTE ]
The 96-97 Jazz lost to a Bulls team that was worse than the 89-90 Bulls team. Food for thought in this debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're confusing the 89-90 Bulls (lost 4-3 to the Pistons)with the 90-91 Bulls (swept the Pistons 4-0). Also, Hollinger ranked that '97 Bulls team as the 5th best of the last 30 years.

Utah and the earlier Suns teams would be tough, but i voted for the Pistons... that team was awesome. Don't let how bad the current Larry Brown-less version is cloud your memory of how soundly they beat the Shaq/Kobe/GP/Malone Lakers, and then next year came within a point of beating the Spurs in 6.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can anyone make assani a mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this directed at me Bobbo?

1. Not my fault your favorite player was arguably the dirtiest player in the league during that era.

2. lol @ pleading for someone to become a mod--not that it would matter anyway.

3. Chill broham

[/ QUOTE ]

tdarko, why would you assume that was directed at you? It wasn't at all. No, I dont take it personally if someone doesnt like the athletes i happen to like! =)

Also, sorry all I made a mistake describing that sixers team. I probably should've double checked the roster rather then go off memory.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Bobbo,

I thought it seemed weird and not like you, I dunno...sorry about the confusion.

Anyway, I think there needs to be some talk about how the mid-90's Rockets were possibly the luckiest team ever and the mid-90's Jazz were the unluckiest and victims of terrible timing.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted 1993 Suns as the best of this bunch even though they were the second best team in the league that year no matter how many times tuq goes on and on about it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

What, are you Clarkmeister's gimmick account or something?

Cosign on the lucky Rockets (well, I guess I already posted that). Two weak seasons for the NBA. Although I'm probably bitter because the Suns were coming off the Finals against the Bulls and should have won both of those years but managed to blow huge series leads both years to Houston, who went on to win.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you noted, a lot of people forget that Michael Jordan played in those playoffs, and saying that he wasn't on top of his game is just hindsight IMO. He was scoring 40+ on a regular basis and at the time many, many people just assumed the Bulls would win the title in the absence of any historically great teams in the NBA that year. I am of the opinion that Jordan was just as good as ever in those playoffs but the reason the Bulls lost is that they didn't have Horace Grant or Dennis Rodman, but that goes against the conventional wisdom that Jordan won 6 titles by himself so I'll leave that debate for another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm. I remember him being off his game so I looked it up:

1995 playoffs: 31.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 4.5 APG, 48% FG, 37% 3FG
Career playoffs: 33.4 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 5.7 APG, 49% FG, 33% 3FG

So his numbers were astonishingly close to his career averages. I just remember his 1995 season for coming back super rusty and basically shooting his way back into form. Indeed, he shot a dismal 41% during the regular season (vs. a career average of 50%) and I remember a lot of 7-for-22 games early on until he dropped 55 on the Knicks at MSG. Thus I stand corrected.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 PM

who would you rather have, tim duncan or hakeem olajuwan
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
best - '96-'97 Jazz. Poor Stockton.

worst - '76ers. Don't think this one is close, though to be honest I'm not too familiar with the Heat team.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who would you rather have, tim duncan or hakeem olajuwan

[/ QUOTE ]
That is extremely difficult to answer, so I choose both. But Duncan wasn't around when that big pussy David Robinson let his team get steamrolled by the Rockets in 1995.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 PM

i think the 03-04 pistons would take this, probably pretty easily.

i also think many here underestimate how good the teams are now, compared to then, as well as how different the game is.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 96-97 Jazz lost to a Bulls team that was worse than the 89-90 Bulls team. Food for thought in this debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're confusing the 89-90 Bulls (lost 4-3 to the Pistons)with the 90-91 Bulls (swept the Pistons 4-0). Also, Hollinger ranked that '97 Bulls team as the 5th best of the last 30 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm confusing the 96-97 Bulls with the 97-98 Bulls. The last Bulls team was the weakest of the bunch, and weaker than the 89-90 team IMO.