Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: NLDS: Cubs vs. Diamondbacks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why? Supporting a team run by idiots doesn't make you a lovable loser. It makes you tolerant of stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]
we dont support the front office, we support the team

[/ QUOTE ]

You support some nebulous idea of the team, thats fine. Or you support the millionaires who don't care about you? The point is, by lending support that is entirely unconditional and not based on even an EFFORT to put a winning team out there, you are just asking to be exploited. If thats fine with you, then you deserve what you get.

[/ QUOTE ]ya, the amount of money that was spent this offseason totally wasn't meant to improve the team, neither were the past trades that acquired Derrek Lee or Ramirez, ya and we did get what we deserve, a NL Central division championship
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 PM

OMG they just played "Tonight" by DJ Quik -- I have not heard that song in forever!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cubs fans are idiots for supporting the smallest and dumbest front office in baseball. As Mikey said, they bring it on themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the worst/dumbest argument I've seen made for any point, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its really not. Blind homerism and loyalty is just BEGGING to be exploited. Where is the motivation to provide a quality product when the droolers are going to be eating it by the barrel no matter what it tastes like?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you guys were serious. The only component of your fandom is the compentency of your team's front office? Seriously? Or is it only that it's the most imporant aspect?

I became a cubs fan when I was a young child because I liked Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson and Mark Grace. Geographical proximity also played a role. Are you saying that these were not valid reasons to embrace a team, or rather that it's foolish to continue to embrace the team I loved then because I now know what OPS is?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why? Supporting a team run by idiots doesn't make you a lovable loser. It makes you tolerant of stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You support some nebulous idea of the team, thats fine. Or you support the millionaires who don't care about you? The point is, by lending support that is entirely unconditional and not based on even an EFFORT to put a winning team out there, you are just asking to be exploited. If thats fine with you, then you deserve what you get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone's really complaining that we don't deserve it. If we wanted to cheer for a team that would consistently field a good team, understood the game and made decisions accordingly, etc., we'd cheer for the Red Sox.

If I hated management to the point where I couldn't justify spending money on the team, I'd stop buying hats/tshirts/tickeets. But it would never stop me from being a Cubs fan at heart (and catching games on TV).
Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol i love how this almost a home game for the Cubs, the amount of cheering for that walk was way higher than it should be

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's a loud 20% - I'd bump it up to 30%.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ya, the amount of money that was spent this offseason totally wasn't meant to improve the team, neither were the past trades that acquired Derrek Lee or Ramirez, ya and we did get what we deserve, a NL Central division championship

[/ QUOTE ]

See thats exactly what I'm talking about, that is why I am rooting for this Cubs team. I made that specific point, that THIS years team is different, really that the last couple years have been different. It was the past million years that sucked.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Does Z ever have any easy first inning?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you guys were serious. The only component of your fandom is the compentency of your team's front office? Seriously? Or is it only that it's the most imporant aspect?

I became a cubs fan when I was a young child because I liked Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson and Mark Grace. Geographical proximity also played a role. Are you saying that these were not valid reasons to embrace a team, or rather that it's foolish to continue to embrace the team I loved then because I now know what OPS is?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point at all. You should be a fan of whatever team you want. I grew up a Sox fan though, and all my Cubs fan friends would always say things like, "Yeah, well at least we can fill the ballpark all year." That kind of attitude is what keeps the Cubs in a cycle of mediocrity. What motivation does ownership have to field a top-level ballclub if they can make a steady profit with the garbage they usually put out there year-in, year-out?

Edit: Basically, part of being a fan is saying, "Yo, ownership, I'm not going to support this crap monetarily. Give me a quality product."
Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cubs fans are idiots for supporting the smallest and dumbest front office in baseball. As Mikey said, they bring it on themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the worst/dumbest argument I've seen made for any point, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its really not. Blind homerism and loyalty is just BEGGING to be exploited. Where is the motivation to provide a quality product when the droolers are going to be eating it by the barrel no matter what it tastes like?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, none of those guys play for them any more and I don't live where I grew up any more, so that would be enough for me. But no, you can root for them for whatever reason you want. Its just asking to be exploited. If you don't care that you are being exploited, then fine (and if you don't care, you aren't really being exploited). However, for ME, I couldn't help but realize it, and it would piss me off. Different strokes. I'm not saying you are dumb (maybe kyleb is though) I'm just saying you deserve what you get.

I do take exception when fans like you (which is really the vast majority of fans) pretend like you guys are the REAL fans and that people like me and kyle are bandwagoners or fake fans or something. I'm not trying to say my way is better than yours, I'm just saying its different and pointing out the different outcomes we can both expect. No value judgment. But fans like you (not necessarily YOU, just homers in general) always tell me I'm a terrible fan and blah blah blah.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point at all. You should be a fan of whatever team you want. I grew up a Sox fan though, and all my Cubs fan friends would always say things like, "Yeah, well at least we can fill the ballpark all year." That kind of attitude is what keeps the Cubs in a cycle of mediocrity. What motivation does ownership have to field a top-level ballclub if they can make a steady profit with the garbage they usually put out there year-in, year-out?

Edit: Basically, part of being a fan is saying, "Yo, ownership, I'm not going to support this crap monetarily. Give me a quality product."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this part. If management is content to rake in millions and not spend it to win, then yeah, stop going to games. But that's not the problem, management is trying, they're just stupid and imcompetent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Even if that happened, they'd still be my team.