Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should stop trying to change this program and just do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to my squats, my additional exercises or my diet?

[/ QUOTE ]
you have an injury, so it is right to adjust. I honestly think what happens is that we go into this program too quick. Many people are going from a totally deconditioned state to lifting heavy complex movements. That's a recipe for injury. Many people end up having to drop weight anyways and work on form (getting to full squat depth safely), so you might as well get it done in the beginning.

Thremp is just rar hardcore, so take that into account. Front squats are totally fine. The difference in the grand scheme is miniscule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't see the contradiction between recommending one sticks to the program and one stepping backwards to focus on form and progressing with care.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't either. I just thought maybe thremp was like, "blah keep on adding weight follow the program". He might not be. If your form sucks it doesn't make sense to add weight really. Just letting wolf know that was fine.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 PM

I think fronts squats are a great exercise and may be able to help develop the back squat. But I also think that a newbie should learn to back squat and do so by back squatting.

And if he gave the appropriate time and focus I find it unlikely he would need to finish himself off with cleans-- another great exercise for which there will be plenty of time.

Still, I'll concede the caveat that what gets you in the gym is best...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#0000ff">12. Nov</font>

Front Squat: 3x5x88
Mil.Press: 3x5x88
Pen.Rows: 3x3x88

Additional:
Pullups @ 4 plates: 2, 1.5, 1.5
Clean&amp;Press: 1x1x88, 1x1x110

The powerrack was in use so I used a bar from a bench and cleaned from the floor and then did front squats. I think my form might have been better than for the back squats, at least it was easier for me to stay on my heels. Maybe I should just stick to front squats?

I added the clean&amp;press at the end 'cause I love doing those. Should I not do that?

Back feels ok after the exercise. Just gotta be careful with the weight and I think I'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with playing a bit with the clean (and I don't mean to contradict what I've written in the other posts). One place you might clean (after a proper warm-up) is before your presses. You could also sub it for rows.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 PM

You should never be doing exercises with poor form. When your form breaks down... that is failure.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 PM

shemp,
clean before military presses or bench presses?

The only reason I did the back squats was because the rack was occupied. But since they felt pretty good I wondered if they were in any way better or worse than back squats. I'll stick to the back squats cause eventually I wanna be able to do all of em correctly.

I'm gonna stick to the same weights for the rows and deadlifts because the limiting factor right now is my injury, not my strength. Squats are limited by form/flexibility so I'll need to work on that with the same weight. The squats don't seem to hurt my back as long as I maintain my lumbar arch. That might be a factor of the light weight though.

I'll continue ramping the two presses but I figure I'll plateau soon and then need to reset.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should never be doing exercises with poor form. When your form breaks down... that is failure.

[/ QUOTE ]
True.

Regarding d-lift form. Should I try to control the weight on the downward part of the lift or just drop the [censored]?

I feel like my upward part is good but when going down my long legs (I'm 6'3) get in the way and I can't maintain an arch.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM

Back squats will put you under a greater load and require more work from the posterior chain. It is good that you want to develop this lift-- it appeared you wanted to trade it out.

As for cleans: I'm not recommending them. My understanding is that power cleans are acceptable in place of rows in the program. Also, they are a natural for getting the barbell to the front rack for overhead presses. Also, with just a bar or lightweight dumbbell or medecine ball, they make for an excellent warm-up or skills practice if you have a bit of extra time. It is important that you stick to the program, because while at the outset you may feel that you have a ton of left over energy, you are accumulating fatigue and making progress-- and soon don't/won't have this need for extra stuff. The day you do your workout and have nothing left over for this extra stuff is actually a day you will be much closer to benefiting from switching to it.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True.

Regarding d-lift form. Should I try to control the weight on the downward part of the lift or just drop the [censored]?

I feel like my upward part is good but when going down my long legs (I'm 6'3) get in the way and I can't maintain an arch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop it.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 PM

i just drop it